Thread: Anyone been out to Redshirt

Default Anyone been out to Redshirt

Looking to go spear some Northerns for my birthday this weekend and wondering if there's snow on the trail in to Redshirt. I'd rather go to Figure Eight but I'm doubting that the trail is in very good shape after the last 10 days of tropical weather we've been having. Any update on either trail? I'm riding a fan cooled Bearcat so I don't need much snow, but I'd like at least some. Thanks guys

Friend fished it last week, after it started warming. Said it was fine conditions, trail was a little bumpy. He came in through deshka landing way. Caught a few pike but not much action as he was hoping for. Didn't fish his usual spot so its probably better somewhere other than were he was at.

I've never been out there, was planning to take the trail from the Rolly campground that is listed online. I have no idea where to fish, figured to just drill some holes up in shallow coves and try to find some weeds. I'd rather go to F8 or head east to chase lakers but not knowing the trail conditions to F8 and with our short daylight hours right now don't think LL or Crosswind is doable for a daytrip. Thanks for your info and any more you might be willing to share.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I've never been out there, was planning to take the trail from the Rolly campground that is listed online. I have no idea where to fish, figured to just drill some holes up in shallow coves and try to find some weeds. I'd rather go to F8 or head east to chase lakers but not knowing the trail conditions to F8 and with our short daylight hours right now don't think LL or Crosswind is doable for a daytrip. Thanks for your info and any more you might be willing to share.
    The trail in from South Rolly Lake is an easy doable trail. Haven't done it yet this year, but I would think it should be no problem. Call the Alaska State Parks office in Palmer or Willow to get a trail report. I would be careful of overflow and thin ice near the outlets and inlets. A good spot on Redshirt is the first bay you come to right when you get to Redshirt on the South Rolly trail. The pike can be a little tricky and lethargic in the middle of the winter though. Come spring time they will be up in the shallows and more aggressive. I would try to set some tip-ups at different depths in the bay. Anywhere from 5 ft out to 20 ft. Pike may be suspended in deep water at this time. I don't think they spend as much time in their usual spots in mid-winter. Good luck.

Went out today, first time to the red shirt. Had no idea where to fish, so i went around the whole lake looking for old holes. No one was out today i am assuming it was because of the restart of the Rod. I tried the outlet on the south end, No Luck! On the way back i tried the a spot pretty much across for the trail coming in from the North. So if you are just getting to the lake from the Rolly Trail, it would be on the right about a mile. No luck but did not fish long it was DEEP right next to shore, looked like a great burbot hole! Anyway.....any suggestions on where to fish would be awesome! I am not familiar with cabin numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Akflyerman View Post
    No luck but did not fish long it was DEEP right next to shore, looked like a great burbot hole! Anyway.....any suggestions on where to fish would be awesome! I am not familiar with cabin numbers.
    Did you read my post from above? Did I write in invisible ink or something?

Looks like he is not the only one to miss it clue us in again SID