Thread: Pfd, Need A Good One!

Default Pfd, Need A Good One!

I need to upgrade my sorry old life vest, seriously. I do not want one of those inflate when fallen over board pieces of junk. I want a good life jacket that will most likely safe my life in swift, silty, cold, and deep water if that dreadful day ever comes. What would you recommend? In this situation, as long as I can find it in town, I am willing to spend a good amount.

Default PFD

Here's my favorite; I've worn one of these for the past 7 years.. http://www.stearnsinc.com/Industrial...goryID=8565969 Lots of other good products out there as well, look to the commercial/search & rescue/whitewater listings; you should find something you like. Let us know what you decide on. SE Mike

Default NRS / Alaska Raft and Kayak

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    I need to upgrade my sorry old life vest, seriously. I do not want one of those inflate when fallen over board pieces of junk. I want a good life jacket that will most likely safe my life in swift, silty, cold, and deep water if that dreadful day ever comes. What would you recommend? In this situation, as long as I can find it in town, I am willing to spend a good amount.
    NRS has a greatselection of PFD's for exactly what your talking about. Alaska raft and kayak stocks many versions for them and you could try them on personally. I recommend the most comfortable one you can find in that caliber of jacket you describe... thats what the rafting guys will be stocking... We use strickly whitewater vests for our operations for the very reasons you describe. Of course, bear in mind that in the conditions you describe, merely floating and keeping your head and back from getting bashed in on rocks isn't always enough, youve either got to be retrieved quickly, or you need a dry suit as well. NRS and Alaska Raft carry those too... Good luck and great boating!!!! Chris

Default NRS!

Always been a rafter/kayaker and like the NRS also. Just like the fit. I've got a spare NRS and a Lotus you can run around in and see if you like that type.

That said, the Mustang or Stearns float coats look good for September/October.

I bought 2 of the Mustang float coats this year from B&J. It takes a little getting used to wearing them but they sure fit nice. Only downfall I have found so far is they can be very warm on a nice day. At the same time really nice on the not so nice days. I didn't spring for the hood but after coming back with a wet head I'm thinking they would be nice to have on rainy days.