Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "MENTAL HEALTH" and FIREARMS Ownership/Access...(NOT Political PLEASE)

Default "MENTAL HEALTH" and FIREARMS Ownership/Access...(NOT Political PLEASE)

I thought this thread at Rimfirecenteral was educational.......

Can we discuss this and stay out of "POLITICS"

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...tin-2016-01-06

Oddly enough....I've only had one medical intern ever ask me anything about firearms, depression, etc.....and he also asked me about seat belt use, keeping household chemicals out of the reach of kids, exposure to secondhand smoke, working CO detectors and on and on and on.

Good luck keeping this thread out of the political realm. The OP over at rimfire central missed a salient point though IMHO....doctors don't collect this information to "use against you later"...some of them actually care about your health. I'd hope I'd not let paranoia get in the way of getting healthy or some help I really needed.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Default Too much info?

AGL, I read a lot of those responses so let me give you my take. My wife died after a long and drawn out battle with Leukemia 10 years ago. Six months after her death I kept getting insurance invoices for our joined car insurance in both our names. I finally wrote them a letter and told them that they could take her off the policy because she passed away 6 months earlier. I received a letter back 30 days later and it stated that they were sorry for my loss. But because she had passed, I was now considered single so my insurance rates were going back up to a single rate.... Too much information? Go figure
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Well.........that is exactly the part of this that interests me. The decision "COULD" become, which is really needed more, a medication or a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    ......................The OP over at rimfire central missed a salient point though IMHO....doctors don't collect this information to "use against you later"...some of them actually care about your health. I'd hope I'd not let paranoia get in the way of getting healthy or some help I really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I'd hope I'd not let paranoia get in the way of getting healthy or some help I really needed.
    Are you saying you hope you wouldn't let a disease characterized by delusions and irrationality prevent you from making a rational decision? Good luck.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

How do I know which of my decisions are rational..............How do you "REALLY Know which of your decisions are rational......??? And what is the empirical evidence that supports this.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    ...............you from making a rational decision? Good luck.

I don't see it as any of their business. If I'm seeing the doctor for a diabetic checkup, then that's what I expect to talk about. Whether I'm feeling sad because my hamster just died while undergoing a vasectomy or my stock portfolio took a nosedive is of no significance to our visit.

If I believe I need to seek the services of a counselor over the loss of my hamster or my portfolio, then I will promptly seek the services of said counselor. I think it is prudent to be careful what you say to medical professionals.

At some future date, your episode of grief may very well turn out to be grounds to separate you from your firearms while you undergo a psychological evaluation to make sure you are okay to possess them.

For me.......if I could Not own a firearm in Alaska, I would not stay in Alaska. For me three things ( Alaska, a firearm, and Me ) equal one whole lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by sep View Post
    At some future date, your episode of grief may very well turn out to be grounds to separate you from your firearms while you undergo a psychological evaluation to make sure you are okay to possess them.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sep View Post
    For me.......if I could Not own a firearm in Alaska, I would not stay in Alaska. For me three things ( Alaska, a firearm, and Me ) equal one whole lifestyle.
    So, hypothetically; if you were unable to own a firearm due to diagnosed psychological defect, where would you go?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

I and everyone is in some way "psychological defective".........it is part of being human. Ever read "CATCH 22" by: Joseph Heller.....??

So, hypothetically; if you were unable to own a firearm due to diagnosed psychological defect, where would you go?

I and everyone is in some way "psychological defective".........it is part of being human.
    In a sense, that's true, and I would have thought a given for purposes of conversation. Is your point then that we should throw out all lines of distinction and live in total anarchy, or?
    #Resist

Some government medical professionals don't enjoy being data collectors, but they have been required to.
    When my teenage son goes in for an exam or treatment, he is asked about his sexuality, tobacco and alcohol usage in the home and firearms in the home. His mother and I have instructed him to politely refuse to answer these questions and only answer questions directly pertinent to his condition. Often the medical professionals seem just fine with that. As government becomes more and more involved in health care, there will of necessity be more and more data collection.

No......I rather like that everyone has their own special insanity.

In a sense, that's true, and I would have thought a given for purposes of conversation. Is your point then that we should throw out all lines of distinction and live in total anarchy, or?

No......I rather like that everyone has their own special insanity.
    ...And shall no person be denied possession of a firearm, regardless the degree of his/her "own special insanity"?
    #Resist

If I had very much human contact it might be a concern. Life is fought with risks of death and injury. I have a greater fear of a suicidal human operating a vehicle than one with a firearm. Which is why I drive a 20,000 pound GVW tractor when I go to town for supplies.

...And shall no person be denied possession of a firearm, regardless the degree of his/her "own special insanity"?

If I had very much human contact it might be a concern.
    Most of the people in our society have much human contact, and it is a concern for them. What would say to them?
    #Resist

FOOLS............move to the wilderness and abandon buying shiny thingies that Madison Ave. Advertising say's you need to be happy.

Most of the people in our society have much human contact, and it is a concern for them. What would say to them?

If I had very much human contact it might be a concern. Life is fought with risks of death and injury. I have a greater fear of a suicidal human operating a vehicle than one with a firearm. Which is why I drive a 20,000 pound GVW tractor when I go to town for supplies.

I thought I was the only one that did that.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

There are surely folks that should not possess guns because of their mental status. The question is who is going to make that decision. Shrinks? I don't trust most of them to be sane or politically neutral. Bureaucrats? I don't trust them to do anything more than protect their own job. Who could you trust to make this decision that didn't have a political agenda? Denying someone their constitutional rights before they have done anything wrong is a serious undertaking. Most people tasked to do this would probably err on the side of caution which would deny gun ownership to some that would never be a problem. Who do you trust to decide for you whether you can possess a firearm or not?

AGL4now
    Can you imagine what the world would be like if everyone did as you suggest and all moved to the wilderness. If everyone moved out of the cities there wouldn't be any wilderness.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast