Thread: 460 Rowland and 10mm - Cutting Edge Bullets

Default 460 Rowland and 10mm - Cutting Edge Bullets

Been using Cutting Edge Bullets (just google it) sold brass bullets in my 45-70 for some time, as well as there 30 Cal brass (raptors) in my blackouts and 06, and been very impressed with construction and consistency.

Now they have Solid copper bullets in all the 'Alaskan' handgun calibers. Just worked up a load with my 460 Rowland (XD45 Tactical with Johnny Rowland compensated conversion) that gives me 1460FPS with the 200Gr bullet. Very accurate, very consistent, no lead fowling (obviouusly) and a tad under 1000Ftlbs at 10ft from muzzle.

Made up some nice loads with here 165Gr .38 solids for my sons SP101 357 at 1326FPS, the load could go up as no pressure signs, but this was about as much as he (14) could shoot accurately.

Probably of most interest for a lot of you will be there 190Gr solid copper .40 cal bullets. Perfect for those of you running Glock 10mm as you can get a good heavy (ish), hard bullet without he issues of lead fowling. I have just ordered some of these to work up a load for my G20 (standard barrel etc), but they may be a great answer for a backwoods load. The bullets are spendy, about $1 each for the handgun (with shipping), but you anint gonna shoot many and bullet construction/quality is not something to be scrimped on for peronal protection/hunting.

Just thought I would post FYI.

Hey nbh, how does that XD45 platform feed, any issues? I have a couple Rowlands in the G21 format, one from JR and another LWD. I have tried every production 460 Rowland round I can find. The copper jacketed rounds generally feed fine, but the larger lead hardcasts are unreliable. I am in search of a heavy hard round that feeds reliably for my backwoods carry gun. It would be interesting to see a ballistics gel test to see how the lighter and harder(?) copper compares to heavier lead HCs in both penetration and wound channel size. It would be nice if those copper were a little heavier. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    Hey nbh, how does that XD45 platform feed, any issues? I have a couple Rowlands in the G21 format, one from JR and another LWD. I have tried every production 460 Rowland round I can find. The copper jacketed rounds generally feed fine, but the larger lead hardcasts are unreliable. I am in search of a heavy hard round that feeds reliably for my backwoods carry gun. It would be interesting to see a ballistics gel test to see how the lighter and harder(?) copper compares to heavier lead HCs in both penetration and wound channel size. It would be nice if those copper were a little heavier. Any thoughts?
    I have had my XD45 in 460 for about 2 years. Initially I had feeding issues. I picked up the Guide rod that allows me to use 1911 recoil springs, put a 22lb in it, still issues. Then put Johnny Rowland mags springs in. No issues since, around 500rds without a failure - mostly with 225Gr RNFP from Hunters Supply. Also run JHP and FMJ 45s with no issues. The coppers from CE have a huge meplat and cycle perfectly.
    Yep I want to run some penetration tests - thinking of building a "box 'o' truth" to take to the range. Having seen what CE Brass projectiles do on skin, bone and flesh, I am confident in their Copper as well.
    The problem with Copper and Brass is the sectional density is much less than lead, so bullets are longer for same weight. I think 200Gr is max for 460R in Copper without getting into serious case capacity issues.

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    I have had my XD45 in 460 for about 2 years. Initially I had feeding issues. I picked up the Guide rod that allows me to use 1911 recoil springs, put a 22lb in it, still issues. Then put Johnny Rowland mags springs in. No issues since, around 500rds without a failure - mostly with 225Gr RNFP from Hunters Supply. Also run JHP and FMJ 45s with no issues. The coppers from CE have a huge meplat and cycle perfectly.
    Yep I want to run some penetration tests - thinking of building a "box 'o' truth" to take to the range. Having seen what CE Brass projectiles do on skin, bone and flesh, I am confident in their Copper as well.
    The problem with Copper and Brass is the sectional density is much less than lead, so bullets are longer for same weight. I think 200Gr is max for 460R in Copper without getting into serious case capacity issues.
    Good post nbh. I have played around with single mag springs, double mag springs, aftermarket mag springs, etc. My guns are very reliable with any copper jacket bullet and sketchy with large lead bullets. Obviously, the goal of a woods carry gun is stout power and dependable reliance. That is the goal I have been chasing. I would consider 500 clean feeds to be very reliable, but the sectional density and overall weight of the copper/brass bullets is marginal. A side by side ballistic test between the brass and large lead HCs and would be interesting for sure. Certainly post up any results you get should you conduct a test. I will continue searching for a solution or combination that will allow my Rowlands to shoot HCs reliably. BTW, ever mess around with a Rowlanator (slide ballast)?

nooo to the rowlanator Figured 'if it ain't broke'

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    nooo to the rowlanator Figured 'if it ain't broke'
    Just checking, apparently it's helped a few folks. Also, saw your post about your G20 feed issues with Underwood ammo. I can tell you that Underwood has the most feed issues when comparing hardcasts in autos. It's not just my opinion but a widely observed trend. Underwood is almost "sticky" with the amount of friction it seems to have moving through mags, feed ramps, etc. Sure wish it would work as I respect Underwood for producing quality powerful ammo at good prices. In addition to the two G21s I have a G20. I haven't tried Underwood in the 20. However, I have put a ton of Double Tap through it without a single feed issue. If you are looking for a stout reliable hardcast for your G20 you might try the DT in 200gr or 230gr, both run flawlessly through my gun.