Thread: If You Were Building a 350 RM...

Default If You Were Building a 350 RM...

Would you build it on a short or regular action? I'm considering getting one built up in Stainless for my "wet" hunting trips! as I don't like taking my Rem 673 along in rafts. Can a short action be built to allow for using longer bullets?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Would you build it on a short or regular action? I'm considering getting one built up in Stainless for my "wet" hunting trips! as I don't like taking my Rem 673 along in rafts. Can a short action be built to allow for using longer bullets?
    If you're going to do a .350 RM then I can't imagine building on anything other than a short action (2.82-3.0), preferably a Ruger or Winchester as they both will handle a bit more OAL from the magazine than a Remington. If using a regular length (3.35+) action then I'd go Whelen when looking for 2500ish fps from a 250 grain bullet.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    If you're going to do a .350 RM then I can't imagine building on anything other than a short action (2.82-3.0), preferably a Ruger or Winchester as they both will handle a bit more OAL from the magazine than a Remington. If using a regular length (3.35+) action then I'd go Whelen when looking for 2500ish fps from a 250 grain bullet.
    Good point, I guess I had my blinders on. And thanks for the intel on the other makers mag capacity. That's the only thing I don't like about my Rem.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Is it possible/reasonable to be able to re-bore a 30-06 barrel to .338 or .358? Or does the smart money just get a new barrel.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Is it possible/reasonable to be able to re-bore a 30-06 barrel to .338 or .358? Or does the smart money just get a new barrel.
    It's easily done, granted that the barrel is of sufficient profile. Most any 30/06 barrel that has a diameter of.600 or more at the muzzle should work. There are numerous places that will do this for you, though I think JES gets the most press on this site. Depending upon what you are hoping to accomplish, reboring may be a less expensive option, though I've had rifles rebarreled with SS tubes for less than $300.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I think I'd go buy one rather than build one. Also I wouldn't go over 225gr bullets. My short action Rem 700 24" shoots the Sierra 225 @ 2800 using 60grs of TAC into 5/8"groups @ 100yds. It has a cheap plastic stock that has the action and about 4" of barrel bedded with a pressure point at the front. If you feel the need for more bullet weight, the 358N will give you almost 2900 with a 250gr. Recoil is a bit stiffer as well if that's what you like.

I'll be bringing up a Ruger 77 in .350 next trip outside. It has an after market fiberglass stock. The gun is blued, but you could always coat it, or buy it cheap enough that you don't care.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I have the model 7 350 and the only thing i wish was that it had a longer magazine box for bullet length

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    I have the model 7 350 and the only thing i wish was that it had a longer magazine box for bullet length
    Some firearms have a block in the back of the magazine well that can be removed.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I think I'm giving up on the idea of a 350RM, and going with either a 338-06 or Whelen. A dealer here in Canada has a couple of consignment Coopers in those calibers, hmmmmmmmm. I hate tough decisions. There was another feller selling an almost new Ruger Hawkeye Guide gun in 30-06 which would make a dandy rifle in the two calibers I am contemplating.
    The whole 338-06/35Whelen thing has been beat to death over the years, but it is a tough call. Both so good.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.