Thread: yellow onions??

Default yellow onions??

this coming season we would like to try yellow onions and thought i would ask a couple questions. first can it be done in south central? two in unheated greenhouse or in raised bed out side? three when to plant and special requirements? also any cool ways of doing potatoes would be a great bonus !! i know im jumpn the gun here but just trying to get our list for this year started. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mud dawg View Post
    this coming season we would like to try yellow onions and thought i would ask a couple questions. first can it be done in south central? two in unheated greenhouse or in raised bed out side? three when to plant and special requirements? also any cool ways of doing potatoes would be a great bonus !! i know im jumpn the gun here but just trying to get our list for this year started. thanks
    I Live in the Knik area, I use raised beds and I've always planted yellow as well as white and purple onions. Some years I've had excellent success and some years the root maggots wipe me out. Some years I've been very successful fighting the root maggots with nematodes, some years not so. This year I'm going to try some "floating row covers" to try to keep the flys away from my onions. Depending on the weather I usually plant the onion starts the 2nd or 3rd week of May.

thanks for the response. what is a floating row cover? when you say you plant onion starts 2nd or 3rd week of may do you mean you plant the sets then or are the already growing and you transplant them outside then ?

From what I've read on the Internet, a floating row cover is some fabric that covers the row. Light and rain can get through it but flies can't.. From what I understand, you staple it down to each side of the bed frame, and the cover has enough material to let the plants push it up as they grow.

I plant onion sets. I tried planting them from seeds once. I buy the bags of sets at Home dept or lowes or Freddies. usually come about 80 sets to a bag. To back up just a little.. I usually plant the onion sets a little early, and cover them with clear visqueen. this heats the ground a little faster and gets some great starts. but when the tops reach the visqueen and start bending over, I remove it.. that's when the flies probably start laying their eggs on the tops. This year I plan to remove the visqueen and immediately place the row cover over them..

Hey Mud, I'm in Anchoorage. I grew a crop of Walla Walla and another white onion this past season. I started them from seeds in the house in April and planted the 6" starts out in my raised bed greenhouse as soon as the soil thawed enough in late May. It was my first try at onions and it went pretty well. I learned a lot and will improve this next season. In summary, it was pretty easy, no losses of any (grew 100+). My largest were around tennis ball size with many smaller. I didn't do anything special. I grow tomatoes, lettuce, turnips, peas, and potatoes. The onions were really just planted in the spaces between the other crops and rode along with the care the others plants received. Pretty nothing deal, maybe beginner's luck, but they sure were tasty.