Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new fly rods for reds

Default new fly rods for reds

I need to buy 7 or so fly rods for red salmon. I'm looking for something with a lifetime warranty that will hold up to inexperienced users and not have the broom stick feel of a 10wt ugly stick. Last year the company I guided for used Echo 10wts and I was not happy with them at all.

I know this has been beat to death on here but it's winter and I'm bored today.

Thanks

I'm no expert, but my wife and I both have St. Croix Imperial 8wts and love them. They have lifetime warranties - I've had to return one twice for warranty work, and there were no questions or problems either time. That said, I wonder if the warranty would be different if they're used commercially. Regardless of the company, that would be worth checking into.

My vote would be either the Temple Fork Outfitters Professional Series II or BVK. Both of these rods in an 8wt would be perfect for your situation. Since swing weight seems to be a big factor in your decision, I would lean towards the BVK (8wt 9 only weighs 3.2oz!). Both of these rods will not break the bank, and their warranty is one of the best in the industry! 100% no-fault. Send them the broken rod plus $30, and you will receive a replacement section, or an entire new rod.

I made a trip up to the Klutina a couple seasons ago, and left my rod tube (with the rod in it) on my rear bumper. As I was backing out of the space, it fell of the bumper and was driven over by the vehicle behind me. I mailed everything in with my check, and received a new rod one week later! So if you have clumsy friends or family members, this will be a comfort knowing you will be covered.

Temple fork! Awesome warranty and great rods.

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

TFOs have great warrantees and great customer service but seem brittle and can have issues coming undone at the ferrule. If you go the TFO route use electrical tape and put a wrap around the ferrule.(good advice for any fly rod) I made the switch to TFO this last spring and had 4 rods break this summer while casting or setting the hook (a spey and 3 BVK fly rods) before going back to Loomis in August. I have had really good luck with the Lamiglass X11 in a 10 weight as an affordable rod for sockeye flossing. It is a 2 piece which I like better than a 4

Default new fly rods for reds

Interesting. Never thought they felt real brittle before
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I'm a fan of Redington rods - they're a very good value, take a beating, and have a lifetime warranty. I've never broken one (unlike Orvis rods) and the only time I've had a warranty return is when I lost a top section, and they had the rod back to me in two weeks.

How much are you planning on spending per rod?
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Some good advice here so far. If the rods are strictly for reds, I'd go with 8wt. Maybe 9wt if to be used primarily on the Kenai or other big/swift waters. Echo makes some good rods. Were you unhappy that they were broomstick 10wt's or with the rods in general? I've seen and heard of the TFO BVK models breaking a lot so I'd probably stay away from that model. The pro series II is a great rod for the price. Brian mentioned St. Croix and I'd also recommend them. I have an imperial that has been through the ringer. Great rod and very tough. Redington makes good rods too. All of the above mentioned brands have lifetime warranties for a small cost and are well renowned for their customer service. Let us know what you end up going with.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

I have gone through many rods for reds. TFO rods are great because of the warranty ($25). The BVK series are not for Red fishing. However the TiCrX are very strong but heavier. If you are fishing Russian reds, you can use 7/8 weights. If you are fishing the 2nd run on the lower Kenai, you should get 9/10 wts.

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    I need to buy 7 or so fly rods for red salmon. I'm looking for something with a lifetime warranty that will hold up to inexperienced users and not have the broom stick feel of a 10wt ugly stick. Last year the company I guided for used Echo 10wts and I was not happy with them at all.

I know this has been beat to death on here but it's winter and I'm bored today.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Some good advice here so far. If the rods are strictly for reds, I'd go with 8wt. Maybe 9wt if to be used primarily on the Kenai or other big/swift waters. Echo makes some good rods. Were you unhappy that they were broomstick 10wt's or with the rods in general? I've seen and heard of the TFO BVK models breaking a lot so I'd probably stay away from that model. The pro series II is a great rod for the price. Brian mentioned St. Croix and I'd also recommend them. I have an imperial that has been through the ringer. Great rod and very tough. Redington makes good rods too. All of the above mentioned brands have lifetime warranties for a small cost and are well renowned for their customer service. Let us know what you end up going with.
    I was unhappy with the Echo mainly because we had a lot of rods that clients broke. I tried once to cast streamers with the echo 10 wt and that was not happening at all.

I fish the entire Kenai and Russian but spend more time on the middle and lower river. I like an 8 weight but most of the people I guide are novice fly fishermen at best so I'm going to get 9 or 10 weight rods for sure. I looked in lamiglas but they only have a 1 year warranty. The only TFOs I have used have been 3 to 5 wts and I have been happy with them.

Thanks for the help I'll do some more research and see where the best deals are.

If you are a guide and decide to go the TFO route they have a great guide program. 50% off. I have 6 of their rods and the only one I am happy with is their switch rod.

I was unhappy with the Echo mainly because we had a lot of rods that clients broke. I tried once to cast streamers with the echo 10 wt and that was not happening at all.

I fish the entire Kenai and Russian but spend more time on the middle and lower river. I like an 8 weight but most of the people I guide are novice fly fishermen at best so I'm going to get 9 or 10 weight rods for sure. I looked in lamiglas but they only have a 1 year warranty. The only TFOs I have used have been 3 to 5 wts and I have been happy with them.

Thanks for the help I'll do some more research and see where the best deals are.

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    If you are a guide and decide to go the TFO route they have a great guide program. 50% off. I have 6 of their rods and the only one I am happy with is their switch rod.
    Thanks for the info. Any experience with the TFO Lefty Kreh TiCrX series? I was considering the
    TFO 10 90 4 X 10 Wt. 9'-0" 4 5.9 IM6 Graphite $299.95

Nope, I have no experience with those. Just the BVKs, and their spey and switch rods. Some of their reels seem nice.

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    I'm a fan of Redington rods - they're a very good value, take a beating, and have a lifetime warranty. I've never broken one (unlike Orvis rods) and the only time I've had a warranty return is when I lost a top section, and they had the rod back to me in two weeks.
    i broke my redington 9 wt last season. had to send it in with $25 or $30 and a new rod was sent to me around 3-4 weeks later. lost a fair amount of the season because of that. i expected the dealer i bought it from would be able to simply do a rod swap for me but that was a no go. my friend has a cabelas brand rod and if he has any problems with it he just walks in the store and they take the old one and give him a new one...no hassle and in just a few minutes he's ready to hit the water again. if i were to do it all over again, that's probably the route i would take...something where if i had to use the warranty i wouldn't have to send it in and wait for, who knows how long, for them to get it back to ya.

I'm using the TFO Lefty K Pro & a GLoomis G3 both in an 8wt. No problems with durability on reds.

When I'm working with a group, we've used the Echos and haven't had an issue, other than one run over by a quad and one snapped in a tree. That said, I'd also suggest TFO or Redingtons as well.

I would recommend the St Croix or Echo for a good entry rod level. Never fished a TFO but have heard good things.
    Since you mention that these will be used by clients, the only draw back to the ST Croix is that they have raised their warranty to $75. Would lend me more to the Echo or TFO

Thanks for the info. Any experience with the TFO Lefty Kreh TiCrX series? I was considering the
    TFO 10 90 4 X 10 Wt. 9'-0" 4 5.9 IM6 Graphite $299.95

Yes good rod, but very fast action! If you go for this model I would get the 9 weight not the 10 weight. They are about one line heavy per my experience. For example a 9 weight is really a 10 weight.

Thanks for the replies. I had a 72 year old lady try to stab a red last year with a fly rod so $75 for a warranty claim (St croix) is not going to work. It's my first year going independent and start up costs are staggering so I have to be mindful of the budget.

Also, TFO has two new rods in their line-up (supposed to the their flag ship rods). The Impact and "Tough. Fly. Rod." (TFR). I have read that the Impact has the power to bomb out long distance casts, but has the feel of a medium-fast action rod for people who prefer a more moderate stroke (like myself). I am hopefully going to be test casting it soon! The TFR is there big fish rod that is supposed to have a super strong butt section that will make it easier to turn big fish, or in our case, sockeye that may get out in the current. You should check them out.

Just to alleviate any ambiguities...TFO's warranty is $30. Most fly rod companies bumped up their prices these last few years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast