Thread: Eureka Trails - What Rig

Default Eureka Trails - What Rig

Background:
    Just moved over from Kodiak.
    Wife, 3 sons (9, 10, 14) and dog.
    Eldest kid hunts with me a ot, wife and younger kids not so much, but that may change.

Looking at a rig for mainly getting out (hunting) and Eureka trails. Mainly hunting but also some family fun in the boonies.

Choices/thughts:

Not normal ATVs too much $$$ to get all family out.

1 (crew) or 2 sxs
    8 Wheel Argo
    2 x 6 Wheel argo
    Get wife a new car and set up her 2010 Nissan XTerra Off-road properly as an off-road rig
    Just lift etc my 2004 RAM 1500 as a hunting rig.

Having not hit the trails up in Eureka yet I have no idea what the trails are like. Money is a big consideration as well, as I am not big on throwing out $$$ for something that sits for a lot of the year. Hence thought to properly set up one of our current vehicles. The Xterra idea most appeals as it has a very capable 4WD system, gives me (us) all the creature comforts, but size/weight an issue (or not). Although I also am taken with getting an Argo or 2.

Any and all thoughts welcome

I've done most of my riding off the Denali Highway, but I doubt you'll find much joy in trying to take a highway rig offroad on those trails. Someone with firsthand experience there will correct me I hope.

I'd just start out with a couple of ATVs and go exploring with your older boy. As other family members decide they want to join in you will have a much better sense of where and how you can pull it off. If you buy a couple of used but reliable ATVs you should be able to recover most of your investment if you decide to sell them and get a different mode of travel.

While I am not a fan of 'Honda' ATV/UTV's, you might want to look at them. The daughter and her family have a new Honda 1000 UTV and they really like it. I am a Arctic Cat fan but not sure if you could find one vehicle to suite your needs. The other thing to keep in mind is having a second vehicle with you in case something were to go haywire, that is unless you will be traveling with a group all of the time.
    While there are people that take 'highway' type vehicles behind Eureka, you will find AV/UTV's much enjoyable. We have spent many hours and covered many miles back there.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    While I am not a fan of 'Honda' ATV/UTV's, you might want to look at them. The daughter and her family have a new Honda 1000 UTV and they really like it. I am a Arctic Cat fan but not sure if you could find one vehicle to suite your needs. The other thing to keep in mind is having a second vehicle with you in case something were to go haywire, that is unless you will be traveling with a group all of the time.
    While there are people that take 'highway' type vehicles behind Eureka, you will find AV/UTV's much enjoyable. We have spent many hours and covered many miles back there.
    Who has the Honda 1000/5 in town? Went into AK Cycle and only had Polaris SxS. Thanks

I've been on most of those trails with a f350 on 44 ags, a real truck built is a lot of fun to go exploring and doing stuff. Doesn't cost much, but requires tons of know how and mechanical knowledge to keep going. An xterra isn't going to make it far at all. Lot nicer when crossing the deeper creeks and more room inside thats comfortable. For starting out I would just buy some 2 up 4 wheelers. Been back in there in bigger buggies than my old one and it was even more fun, but thats another story.

Get two SxS and put a cab and heater on one for your wife and little ones.

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    Background:
    Just moved over from Kodiak.
    Wife, 3 sons (9, 10, 14) and dog.
    Eldest kid hunts with me a ot, wife and younger kids not so much, but that may change.

Looking at a rig for mainly getting out (hunting) and Eureka trails. Mainly hunting but also some family fun in the boonies.

Choices/thughts:

Not normal ATVs too much $$$ to get all family out.

1 (crew) or 2 sxs
    8 Wheel Argo
    2 x 6 Wheel argo
    Get wife a new car and set up her 2010 Nissan XTerra Off-road properly as an off-road rig
    Just lift etc my 2004 RAM 1500 as a hunting rig.

Having not hit the trails up in Eureka yet I have no idea what the trails are like. Money is a big consideration as well, as I am not big on throwing out $$$ for something that sits for a lot of the year. Hence thought to properly set up one of our current vehicles. The Xterra idea most appeals as it has a very capable 4WD system, gives me (us) all the creature comforts, but size/weight an issue (or not). Although I also am taken with getting an Argo or 2.

Any and all thoughts welcome
    A Yamaha Viking 6 would haul all of you with room to spare. An Argo will beat you senseless on Eureka's hard trails and a truck is very slow going back there.

I am not sure which dealer they got it from, but it was new as of last week. They are still waiting for the winch and other items for it They had the new machine out at Big Lake over the weekend. It was an interesting looking rig.
    Who has the Honda 1000/5 in town? Went into AK Cycle and only had Polaris SxS. Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. Think proly going to go SxS and AV route based on above. Kodiak trails a lot easier as you could fairly garuntee to see someone else out if you got stuck.

I remember seeing a Unimog buried almost to the front windshield coming down (Yes it was on a hill, a rather big hill) one of those Eureka trails a few years ago. How about some of the stories of crossing Grampa Creek, the rocks on Monument, the Mud behind the Lodge or the complaints of how bad the miners tore up the road moving equipment out there.....maybe we need a reminder of what an Xterra is

Attachment 87970
    And definately not if it is a daily driver. Sorry have just seen to much destruction back there to see anyone ruin a daily driver.

I would look at the 4 seat SxS and an ATV. Put a roof and some full coverage doors on the SxS and you now have a dry scouting vehicle for hunting season. I too am a Cat guy. I have both an ATV and a SxS. It is So nice to be sitting dry and out of the wind on a good vantage point still hunting while everyone else has called it for the day.

You could go this route: Buggy mud truck

First undeniable thought that comes to mind is the guides that used horses, mules and dogs for much of that area.

Seriously though, keep your thoughts centered on lighter rigs (yes, lighter than street machines) that you think may serve your purposes, pay the money or be welding, wrenching and cursing your time away.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Pretty set that the pioneer 700-4 plus an ATV is the route I am going. Love the Pioneer 1000-5 (Hartleys in Wasilla have them), but for the same $$ I can get a 4 seater and a back up ATV. Gives my 14 year-old something fun to ride as well!

Pretty set that the pioneer 700-4 plus an ATV is the route I am going. Love the Pioneer 1000-5 (Hartleys in Wasilla have them), but for the same $$ I can get a 4 seater and a back up ATV. Gives my 14 year-old something fun to ride as well!
    You won't be sorry if you go that way. Way more options for riding and fewer worries of breaking your ride home.

you are going to love the back up ATV all it takes is one O-sh** back there and you will be glad for having it