Thread: hunting rafts

Default hunting rafts

hey everyone I was hoping to get yalls input on rafts to hunt/fish out of....I was thinking along the lines of something you can take on a fly out trip and also something with a platform that you can stand up and fish without falling....any input would be appreciated and if yall know any prices that would be great

thanks everyone,
    Richie

Default Northwest River Supply

Check their website at nrsweb.com They're out of Moscow, Idaho, but might have a dealer in Alaska. They sometimes have used rafts for sale at good prices and they're in pretty good shape. I have one of their Bighorn II frames and it can be disassembled to fit into a plane for fly out hunts.

Default Hunting Boats

Another site to check out....

http://www.pristineventures.com/prod...tingBoats.html

Larry Bartlett's reputation speaks for itself.

Default options

Look into AIRE and NRS at Alaska Raft and Kayak 403 Tudor Road if you are in the Anchorage area.

If you are in Fairbanks check out Blue Moose Rafting Sales & Outfitting 816 28th Ave.

Soar Pristine Ventures Larry does not have a store front that I am aware however his web site is listed int he previous post.

Test the Waters Maravia between North Pole and Fairbanks however I do not think they sale boats any more however I may be Moose-Taken.

6th Ave OUtfitter - in Anchorage PVC boats some options.

Jim King with Alaskan Series Boats however I do not believe he has a store front if any one knows chime in.

Down Stream Rentals Sotar in Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    ...something with a platform that you can stand up and fish without falling....
    thanks everyone,
    Richie
    Do you have to stand to fish? I think you'd need a stout cataraft or a larger and more expensive raft if that's what you want to do. I don't know if some of the bigger rafts will fit in an airplane weight wise. You are probably looking at a raft that weighs 100+pounds.

Tim

Levitator... Larry Bartlett at pristine ventures has them. designed speciffically for hunting in AK with shallow streams and rivers, very stable adn holds alot of weight too.
    Justin

6th Avenue Outfitters also have rafts made for Alaska. Check out their models before you decide, they might have something you are interested it. They are downtown Anchorage on 6th Avenue, not far west of Penneys.

Thumbs up Float Hunting Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    hey everyone I was hoping to get yalls input on rafts to hunt/fish out of....I was thinking along the lines of something you can take on a fly out trip and also something with a platform that you can stand up and fish without falling....any input would be appreciated and if yall know any prices that would be great

thanks everyone,
    Richie
    Richie,

I hope this is the beginning of a long, fruitful discussion, because lots of others have the same question in their minds.

I have some information in this area that I'd be happy to share with you. It's a complex topic that cannot be fully apprehended in an Internet forum though. I can give you generalities like the pros and cons of catarafts vs round boats, etc, etc. but you will still have a lot of questions. If you drop me a private message I'd be delighted to help you at no charge, and I don't sell any of the products- so you will get as objective an opinion from me as you will from anyone, I guess. You can learn more about me AT THIS LINK.

The short story is that both cats and round boats lend themselves well to float hunting. The questions you must ask yourself are the following:

1. How many people will be with you?

2. What species will you hunt? Large animals such as moose will require much more flotation than a Dall sheep.

3. What type of rivers do you plan to float? Smaller brushy streams lend themselves well to round boats, but on bigger water or deep, slow rivers you may be better off with a motorized cataraft. Unless the river is totally flat, you will want at least seven inches of rocker (bow and stern rise), measured from the floor to the bottom of the tubes.

4. What kind of boating experience do you have? Your experience level plays a huge role in boat selection, because some boats are less forgiving than others- especially on moving water. For example, if you don't know what you're doing and you choose an inflatable canoe on a narrow Class II river, you could be in a world of hurt. A canoe has a narrow profile that lends itself to overturning if you broach against an obstacle in fast water. It could be the last mistake you ever make.

Finally, beware of anonymous advice posted on the Internet. I don't mean that as a slam against anyone on this website- there's a whole lot of great information here (some of the best on the net), but the truth is that you don't know who you're talking to. Is it a 14-year-old kid on his dad's computer, a Pennsylvania local with no Alaska experience, a new arrival to the state with little actual float hunting experience, or an old Alaska river rat with some spare time to share with the masses? You just don't know. So be careful with important decisions like this, and check everything out!

Thanks for posting a great question. I would certainly look through the archives on this website- you will find TONS of information on this topic right here.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

what size rafts are you looking for?

12,14,15,16,18 foot

how many days and how many people? are you lookinig at flying with this raft or just being able to drive to where you put in.

aicheiles rafts are heavy and last forever. avon rafts are lighter and last pretty good. Nrs rafts are great but which version? otter or expedition

maraiva have some funky plastic that is hard to patch.
    riken makes some excellent boats also.

Do you want to add a motor to the raft. Catarafts are great for this but can't handle the amount of people, but they do fold down pretty good.
    normal rafts need a special frame to create a transom and you can't go very fast.

I guided on the upper kenai for a couple of years and have been an idaho river rat for quite awhile. I have also done about 4 fly out raft trips in alaska. Lets talk boats.

tim