Thread: Powder thats been opened and not used for a long time still good

Default Powder thats been opened and not used for a long time still good

I have some 2400 and 296 thats around 10 years old loaded some and then havrnt used wondering if its still good to use still.

Couldn't comment on whether or not yours is good, but I am curious to see the answer myself. Found some Hodgdon 4831 that has 1976 marked on the bottom. Still sealed and seems fine, but then again it's almost half again as old as me...
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

I'm using primers and powder from 1968 and it still goes bang! Primers were $7/1000 and BLC-2 powder was $2.58/lb. Oh for the good old days! It all depends on how they were stored, cool & dry?
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

If stored properly it should be fine. If it smells really bad don't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    If stored properly it should be fine. If it smells really bad don't use it.
    Yup. Biggest deal for proper storage is stable temps. If it's been in your heated house all that time, chances are about 99.9% it's good. If it's been in an unheated shop or garage all that time, odds drop a whole bunch. I have some 50-year old containers of powder that a still just fine after indoor storage all that time. But I've had partial containers go bad after a year of storage out in a shed.

I use power and primers that are older than some of the members here. Never had a problem. Mine is stored in the house.
    I've seen threads on this forum and others asking about old ammo also. i killed a caribou with a 95 Winchester in .405 with ammo from before WW11. Bou ended up grave yard dead. We actually took a couple of them with that old gun and ammo on that hunt.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I've been told that if powder has rust colored looking particles mixed in with it, then it is no good. Never seen it myself though. I would love to keep my powder outside of my home, but fear that it will go bad keeps me from putting it in any unheated outbuildings.

I have heard that it is possible for the powder to become a little "stronger" with age. Start your loads a little lighter than normal and watch for pressure signs. Then load away.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I understand, that if the powder is caked up/sticking together, that is a BAD sign.

I'm using 2 kinds of some very old powder right now, without any issues.

Smitty of the North.
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've never experienced bad powder myself. But from what I know, the smell changes drastically if its bad. Rotten eggs if I recall correctly. I wouldnt have a problem using powder, if it both looked and smelled normal.