Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karta River Area

Default Karta River Area

Hello!

Starting to look into my Alaska trip this year and get things planned out. I went to the Naha last year and had pretty amazing results to say the least. This year me and a buddie are looking to capitalize more on silvers than pinks/chums. We have narrowed down our time to Mid-September time frame. I wanted to see if anybody in here could help me out with timing or advice. I am open to other suggestions but really looking on doing the Forest service cabin deal again. It was way to much fun.

We are not totally keen on just looking into the Karta cabins, we have also looked into the Italio river cabin. I hear that place is pretty amazing for coho but not for any other types of fish.

1. best times for coho
    2. how is the trout / dolly fishing in the Karta river
    3. any preferance on Karta Lake vs River cabin?

Best Regards,

Matt.

Matt;

We spent the third week of July 2014 at the Karta Lake cabin.

1. I can't speak to other times but once we figured out location and presentation we reliably caught as many Coho as we wanted.
    2. The trout fishing wasn't as good, but since we were on to the Coho we didn't spend much time chasing trout. Although I did catch a nice rainbow in the river almost up to Salmon Lake. We didn't catch a Dolly.
    3. I recommend Karta Lake cabin over the Karta River cabin.

Karta River Pros:
    Accessible by boat
    You can fish the saltwater bay
    You can put out crab pots.
    More reliable float plane access in bad weather.

Karta River Cons;
    No boat at the cabin.
    Practical freshwater fishing is only in the river.
    It's a 1+mile hike to the lake and when you get there you won't have a boat.

Karta Lake Pros:
    Cabin has a boat. Bring your own motor.
    You can fish the lake, the river between Karta Lake and sea, or the river between Karta Lake and Salmon Lake. We found the silvers at the Karta Lake inlet.

Karta Lake Cons;
    Tougher floatplane access in bad weather

Hope this helps. We also love the forest service cabins!

Finally, we highly recommend Seawind Aviation in Ketchikan.

I LOVE THE KARTA. IVE BEEN 2 YEARS IN A ROW!!! The pros and cons are spot on. I've stayed at each of them. It gets in your blood. Sometimes I go online to see if someone has it booked and imagine my little Karta cabin sitting there in the quiet.v

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Matt395 View Post
    Hello!

Starting to look into my Alaska trip this year and get things planned out. I went to the Naha last year and had pretty amazing results to say the least. This year me and a buddie are looking to capitalize more on silvers than pinks/chums. We have narrowed down our time to Mid-September time frame. I wanted to see if anybody in here could help me out with timing or advice. I am open to other suggestions but really looking on doing the Forest service cabin deal again. It was way to much fun.

We are not totally keen on just looking into the Karta cabins, we have also looked into the Italio river cabin. I hear that place is pretty amazing for coho but not for any other types of fish.

1. best times for coho

Best Regards,

Matt.

That's how my Karta River week went! How did your trip go?

Hello!

1. best times for coho

Best Regards,

Matt.
    I've been to the Karta in mid September and know others who have tried it then. There are very few coho, alot of moldy pinks and chums to snag every cast, and minimal trout action on eggs or leeches. Big rains will raise and cloud river for days. July better but no guarantees. Lake cabin better to fly in to.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by ehaleng View Post

Looks like a bunch of pinks....

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Sharp View Post
    Looks like a bunch of pinks....
    Was a blast catching them, every cast a fish. The fish were as thick as sardines in a can. Lots of bears.

I just threw up in my mouth
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    I just threw up in my mouth
    Dude.....you really need to try and not rain on a guy's parade.....lol. For somebody that has never been exposed to that kind of fishing it can be pretty special. I was just thinking...as a kid catching mostly small trout most the time, day in and day out, if somebody would have picked me up and dropped me in the middle of a pink run I would have thought I'd died and gone to heaven! Of course living up here now we know better. But still, a nice fresh pink just in the river ain't a bad fish....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

That is a cool picture though.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Dude.....you really need to try and not rain on a guy's parade.....lol. For somebody that has never been exposed to that kind of fishing it can be pretty special. I was just thinking...as a kid catching mostly small trout most the time, day in and day out, if somebody would have picked me up and dropped me in the middle of a pink run I would have thought I'd died and gone to heaven! Of course living up here now we know better. But still, a nice fresh pink just in the river ain't a bad fish....
    While I agree with you and have eaten pink salmon many times look closer at that picture.
    Those are not dime bright fresh pinks.
    They have already started to turn.
    Fun to catch ? Heck yeah!
    Good dinner fare? That's questionable!
    Would I have kept them? No they're not something I would keep.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Supporting Member

The op is looking for info on silvers. Any drainage in se that you can't pee across will get choked with enough pinks that you can walk across them. Come to think of it i've never tried pink salmon. Grilled a chum next to a king once (both chrome) and it was fine.
    Ehaleng were you there in august?
    If the cohos are in at the same time as the pinks they are typically sitting down below them in the deeper slower pools.

Yes, we did catch silvers also but I have a message to all the Salmon snobs out there... Pinks are fun and tasty. There... I said it.

Also chums are not bad, catch them, wack them and smokum.

Yes, we did catch silvers also but I have a message to all the Salmon snobs out there... Pinks are fun and tasty. There... I said it.

Also chums are not bad, catch them, wack them and smokum.

I for one did not say they were bad.
    They are fun to catch and the bright fresh ones are good eating.
    Those in your picture though are not fresh and bright.
    Many of us have access to multiple species of salmon.
    When choosing which salmon to eat pinks will be chosen last almost every time.
    If we had no choice yes pinks can be good eating and we would all eat them if that were the case.
    Just like most people would pick a T-bone steak over stew meat.
    We eat stew but given a choice most would pick the T-bone steak.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Supporting Member

Hello!

1. best times for coho

Best Regards,

Matt.
    Have you looked into the kegan lake/river system or salmon bay lake/river system. Both get cohos into sept and receive less fishing pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I for one did not say they were bad.
    They are fun to catch and the bright fresh ones are good eating.
    Those in your picture though are not fresh and bright.
    Many of us have access to multiple species of salmon.
    When choosing which salmon to eat pinks will be chosen last almost every time.
    If we had no choice yes pinks can be good eating and we would all eat them if that were the case.
    Just like most people would pick a T-bone steak over stew meat.
    We eat stew but given a choice most would pick the T-bone steak.
    The T-bone comparison is good. Those pinks were caught in the river but in the section of the river that is tidal. The picture was given a water color effect so you can't really tell but they are really good fish. If I was going to keep salmon I wouldn't fish any further up the river. Within 1/4 mile of the sea is just about my max for good fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Sharp View Post
    Have you looked into the kegan lake/river system or salmon bay lake/river system. Both get cohos into sept and receive less fishing pressure.
    I haven't looked there, taking a break from SE Alaska and hitting the Kenai for Black Bear. Didn't put in for the draw this year. I wanted a sure bet on getting a tag so I'll go up there to bag my bear. I'm returning to SE Alaska in 2018 with my grandson so he can see it all.

Cool to see this post come back from the dead!

Ended up going to Kodiak this year for Silvers. Apparently was the worst year in 30 or so years from what all the locals were telling me. Our group did very well. Fish box was near 50lbs of dime bright coho fillets that made it home.

Camped at Uganik lake and fished the river. By far the best Dolly fishing I have ever experienced. Gurglers on the top water for 5-6lb dollies were the norm. The river also had a healthy population of rainbow trout. Silver Fishing was spotty but when they turned on, it was great.

Spanked two that went over 20lbs which was a great treat.

Little river cabin is opening up this year for the first time in several years. If I can make it back I think that will be my destination this year on the island.

Town fishing was great as well. Caught several steelhead on the Buskin river right next to the airport.

sorry for highjacking the thread.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    While I agree with you and have eaten pink salmon many times look closer at that picture.
    I did. Because of the "enhanced" pic it's hard to tell what is what and I can see some are actual humpies, but that one smack dab in the middle looks pretty fresh. I also agree, the "T bone/stew analogy is a good one.... (gotta admit though that I'm pretty easy because I like eating most all fish.....except freezer burnt!.....lol)
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Supporting Member

I did. Because of the "enhanced" pic it's hard to tell what is what and I can see some are actual humpies, but that one smack dab in the middle looks pretty fresh. I also agree, the "T bone/stew analogy is a good one.... (gotta admit though that I'm pretty easy because I like eating most all fish.....except freezer burnt!.....lol)
    Still has the purple striations on it, not chrome at all. That said I've had king and coho that had started to turn darker that were just fine. Intended on just smoking them but upon filketing the meat was firmer and of better tone than some of the brighter fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast