Thread: Sturgeon in Alaska

Default Sturgeon in Alaska

This sturgeon was caught in Bristol bay this summer, in the naknek section. I thought it was pretty unusual.

Very cool! Was it caught by a drifter or a setnet? Any idea what was done with it?

By a drifter and it was released

Where could've it come from? Illiamna lake possibly? Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBasargin View Post
    Sturgeon are anadromous, this fish could of came up from Oregon, B.C., or some other West Coast waters. They've been caught in the Taku, Copper, and some other Southeast waters.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Very nice photo! This is a green sturgeon (Acipenser medirostris). As FishGod said, they have been well documented in Southeast Alaska and British Columbia but rarely documented north and west of that. Two specimens were caught and documented by federal fisheries observers in 2006 - one in the Bering Sea near Unimak Island and one in the Gulf of Alaska slightly northwest of the Trinity Islands south of Kodiak. One was caught near the mouth of the Naknek River in 1980 and is hanging on the wall in the ADF&G office in King Salmon. Another was caught in Kuskokwim Bay near Kwigillingok in 2005. One was reported in 1953 from the western Bering Sea in Olyutorsky Bay (info from Northwestern Naturalist Winter 2007 issue). Finally, in a 1907 book called "Fishes of Alaska" (available for free at archive.org) the authors reported being told that two green sturgeon were caught in the Copper River in 1897.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBasargin View Post
    There was an episode of "River Monsters" on cable and my used to be neighbor's father in law was running the crew around Illiamna looking for it...(the Illiamna monster) They theorized that it may have been a white sturgeon. They never caught any and ended up on the Columbia where they finally scored. I don't know if there has ever been a documented sturgeon catch from the lake. Cracked me up that they are re running that episode as I type this. Interesting info from both FishGod and fishsci!

Thanks for the info everyone!

Historically they were in the Kenai. The Russians fished them out for their caviar over a hundred years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    There was an episode of "River Monsters" on cable and my used to be neighbor's father in law was running the crew around Illiamna looking for it...(the Illiamna monster) They theorized that it may have been a white sturgeon. They never caught any and ended up on the Columbia where they finally scored. I don't know if there has ever been a documented sturgeon catch from the lake. Cracked me up that they are re running that episode as I type this. Interesting info from both FishGod and fishsci!
    I watched a show where the Hillstrand bros of Deadliest Catch's "Time Bandit" hooked into some kind of "monster" in Illiamna. Of course it broke the line and got away....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

In case anyone is wondering they don't taste all that great-earthy is the polite term-letting one go is no great loss.

Quote Originally Posted by whalebreath View Post
    In case anyone is wondering they don't taste all that great-earthy is the polite term-letting one go is no great loss.
    Really? I tried one caught from the Columbia River one time and it tasted great.

There are stories of people hooking things in Kenai Lake that spool them quickly. Sturgeon are the rumor.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I never had a bad eating Sturgeon. We caught them in the Yaquina River all the time in the 70's and 80's. Like any fish you have to take care of them.

Quote Originally Posted by whalebreath View Post
    I grew up on the Columbia and you're the first person I've ever heard say this....

Where did you catch yours?
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

Bad tasting it all depends on who you talk to , some people want to let all fish go an some people tell the truth on taste , you be the judge , it tasted good to me also SID