Thread: Copper River Dipnet Charter 2016

Default Copper River Dipnet Charter 2016

Hey wanted to let you know there is a great outfit on the Copper doing charters from thier boat. AK eXpeditions. You can find them on facebook, or their website. They charter from the boat above and below the bridge. You can also reserve drop off and pickup times so your not waiting inline all night hoping to get a ride.

http://www.ak-x.com/copper-river.html

https://m.facebook.com/AKeXpeditions

So, has Hems charter quit? or are the still going to take people out this year?

Exploit the copper too, in the last 5 years the traffic has greatly increased, so be it.. Now the guides, yes he one of the only that actually takes folks out in a boat and drifts with them.... but where does it stop. I have met the guide and he's a nice dude. So no offense for profiting on the resource. Problem is, if not well regulated the river will get hammered. Yes , I am well aware the past few years have been bumper runs (I have dipped the river with my husband for the past 10 years) I just have a hard time with subsistence fishery being open to guides. Hems operates in personal use area only, the other operates in Subsistence waters. It seems to go against the grain and purpose of subsistence. The difference is the subsistence clients can take far more fish. I will say at least he is legit. Some (at least one from this forum) is doing the same thing without a license. We have seen him down there several times with people he doesn't even know, posts pics here and claims they just like to take new people fishing. Paying someone to help or assist you greatly in the catching of subsistence fish, all but holding the net for you is funky in the spirit of subsistence in my eyes. Maybe its limited by the number of guides that can work the river, I don't know. We should all learn from the mistakes made on other Alaskan fisheries. I only hope that river is still viable for my kids when they grow. Hopefully fish and Game will step in before it gets out of control... Wishful thinking maybe, but I'm optimistic.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

A paid guide for subsistence users. That raised my eyebrows last year when I first saw it. Not my circus, not my monkey's... as long as it doesn't effect my personal use fishing. I've always thought about fishing above the bridge, but I don't need the extra fish.

The crowds don't bother me too much in Chitina, except when the camping spots get too limited. I've dipped the copper every year for 26-27 years now. Always interesting to see the changes.

Fishing above the bridge is very hit and miss. There are very few times when it would be worth a charter to drift from compared to getting dropped off for a fraction of the cost.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I think you might be mistaking being an unlicensed paid guide, with someone who is just being nice and taking people out on the boat with them. Whether you stand on the shore and help someone dip, or take them out in your boat because you're being nice to those without a boat, it isn't any difference. It's people being nice to each other.

On the other hand, I agree about the Copper. It's happening everywhere here in Alaska. The fault isn't with the people fishing, although we should all willingly be wise stewards, it's with the people making the reckless abandon laws. In other words, mismanagement by ADF&G.
    Quote Originally Posted by akmommy View Post
    Exploit the copper too, in the last 5 years the traffic has greatly increased, so be it.. Now the guides, yes he one of the only that actually takes folks out in a boat and drifts with them.... but where does it stop. I have met the guide and he's a nice dude. So no offense for profiting on the resource. Problem is, if not well regulated the river will get hammered. Yes , I am well aware the past few years have been bumper runs (I have dipped the river with my husband for the past 10 years) I just have a hard time with subsistence fishery being open to guides. Hems operates in personal use area only, the other operates in Subsistence waters. It seems to go against the grain and purpose of subsistence. The difference is the subsistence clients can take far more fish. I will say at least he is legit. Some (at least one from this forum) is doing the same thing without a license. We have seen him down there several times with people he doesn't even know, posts pics here and claims they just like to take new people fishing. Paying someone to help or assist you greatly in the catching of subsistence fish, all but holding the net for you is funky in the spirit of subsistence in my eyes. Maybe its limited by the number of guides that can work the river, I don't know. We should all learn from the mistakes made on other Alaskan fisheries. I only hope that river is still viable for my kids when they grow. Hopefully fish and Game will step in before it gets out of control... Wishful thinking maybe, but I'm optimistic.

I think this guy is a total jerk. He thinks he owns the river. He is disrespectful to those that are not paying him. He is taking up two camping spots (one of them his spare boat is parked). His trailer and meat trailer is taking up several limited parking spots. I have no problem with guides but I do have a problem with guides forgetting that it is public land.

The areas to park boats in the water was very limited for us. There was an old beater green pickup and two trailers taking up about half of the area you could pull your boat up and tie off the whole time we were there. I couldn't imagine the issues you would have over the weekend with space. It did seem like it was being taken over by just a few trucks, which I'm assuming are the guides. I saw two different outfits, one driving a camo predator and the other with two black inflatables. Is this all the same outfit? Isn't there a campground rule in the state of only being able to squat in a single spot for a certain amount of time before you are required to move on?

Quote Originally Posted by jkswor View Post
    So, has Hems charter quit? or are the still going to take people out this year?
    Hems is alive and well. Had a couple of days to dipnet this year and needed the fish, so I went with my son-in-law and a friend, and we picked up 60 in the canyon. Last year was my first with Hems, and I was impressed with his perspective on the fishery and the way he treats folks. Nice outfit.

Some are balky over the price ($110), but the market is driving it. I don't have an issue with that; it's worth it to trade my time for money in that context. No way would we have caught that many fish from the accessible areas. I ended up with 15 fish (the others who came along needed more than my wife and I do). All in all a good thing.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by akmommy View Post
    Have to agree, I got a subsistence permit a few years ago, F&G asked me how many fish I wanted, they suggested 100, I could have said I wanted 700 and that would have been OK...... I think we kept 30, which is plenty for my family and give 1/3 of it away....

This number does seem ridiculous, although I did like being able to keep a King or two..

I dont claim to understand maybe F&G could explain the logic behind this..........?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    Fishing above the bridge is very hit and miss. There are very few times when it would be worth a charter to drift from compared to getting dropped off for a fraction of the cost.

Super bad advice!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I've fished both areas for many years. When the fish are moving, above the bridge can be great. When they are not you can drift for hours with nothing while they are limiting out below the canyon. The problem is that once you choose either the subsistence or personal use permit you can not change it and can not even drive your boat while others fish their permits in the other unit according to F&G.

"I'd rather be fishing!"

Couple things to chew on... I'm not sure I don't think you can get 700 ... i think the largest limit is 500 on the fishwheel but I might be wrong...why so many???? Since Fish and Game couldn't give you an explanation I will... no I don't think any family eats 500 fish a year... since earliest days subsistence has always had a strong tradition and practice of sharing... this next batch of fish Id like to get 40 or so for my fish smoker guy... he smokes them up and give me half back and keeps half... I would dear friend who feeds me a lot... I Supply her an her family with a bunch of fish... like having a bunch of proxies only sharing off your permit... another thing a lot of people don't realize there's a lot more fish go up below the bridge then above it... I'm not just talking about all the personal use fishermen catching them.... do you realize there's a pretty good run of sockeye go up the chitina river which is just below the bridge

Lucky, you don't know us well enough to call me anything like that. Disrespectful, thats laughable and proof positive you've not actually dealt with us directly. We help countless boaters down there every summer, we are responsible for saving lives, we provide the only AED and first responder trained staff on that section of river. We work closely with DF&G, DNR and the Troopers near daily basis and who are all very familiar with our operation. We clean up the trash everyone dumps around the launch and bathrooms and back haul it to anchorage when the trash cans are over flowing. We tie our boats up to our trailers and our "meat wagon" is our cleaning station. All of which are used daily for 10 weeks straight. Our clients support the local businesses, pay fees, and leave no impact on the area as we ensure everything is taken care of properly. They support a veteran owned and operated business that allows us to hire locals and support our families. What do you do for the people, businesses and fishery in that area?

We have a lot of equipment as any guide outfit does. But unlike anyone else down there, we actually apply for and are granted a Land Use Permit for the public space we take up by the DNR. We try our best to reduce our footprint and do good job of it but still need room to efficiently operate.

We see a lot of stupidity on the launches and with boats operating carelessly. If your one of those people, It is likely if you are in proximity to our operation we certainly spoke out for the safety of our clients and our property as any reasonable person would.

The simple fact is you don't know us or how we operate. Stop by our camp if you have a grievance with us, chances are we will be happy to help you out in any way we can as we have done with others and will continue to do as fellow Alaskans should. Have a wonderful winter and look forward to the coming season! Bless you and your family!

Hello Jarod, There is a law that prevents people from "squatting" on state land however, there are also laws that allow businesses (and others) to operate on state land that are available via a permitting process through the DNR along with associated fees, bonding and insurance requirements for periods longer than 14 days. AK eXpeditions (the Zodiac operator) has a permit to operate on that land/launch/river for the duration of their permit period. The green truck and trailer was a local fish wheel operator, as well as some of the other boats. The Camo Predator pulls his boat daily. And my outfit (zodiac) simply ties off to our boat trailer and the our trucks are up out of the way in our camp spot. Hope that helps clear things up for you and others.

Mark thank you for everything your and crew do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I saw the guides there this summer also. I didn't have any issues with them. In fact, didn't the guide rescue some little boat that stripped his prop on a sand bar below the bridge? There was only a few boats out, so luckily the stranded guy and his son got help. Also, is it usually possible to launch above the bridge or not? I will be launching the big boat this next year, maybe Obrien creek would be better?