Thread: What the heck is a "Supporting Member"?

Default What the heck is a "Supporting Member"?

I was just asked what "Supporting Member" under my user name meant. So, I thought I'd make the answer public in case others were wondering same. I pay a small annual membership fee to AOD. Doing so gains you a few modest performance enhancements, such as a larger PM mailbox capacity, etc. AOD seems a worthy cause to support, and I figure it's only fair to "pay to play".

To do so; click on "Settings" in the tool bar at top of screen; then click on "Paid Subscriptions" toward the bottom of the side bar on the left side under "My Account".

Happy new year to everybody.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Yep................
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks for the plug, Taiga!

We are adding some significant perks to the paid membership program, including free shipping in the store. I will make an announcement outlining that program once we are ready for launch. We are looking at late January or February. Right now the rub is getting the login information to populate over all four components of the site: The forums, the store, the directory, and the main site pages. We don't want you guys to have to log in repeatedly.

I'm going to post some info on the membership program here, because some things are changing. We're looking at returning to automatic self-registration for paid members, and sticking with our current manual registration process for free memberships. Manual registration consists of the following:

1. Initial inquiry email from prospective member.
    2. Reply email with instructions from site staff.
    3. Return email from prospective member.
    4. Setup of new member account by site staff.
    5. Welcome email from site staff.

Because we're all busy (all of us have other jobs), the email exchange can take some time. Usually a few hours, but it could take two or three days, depending on what we're doing. We can't do automatic self-registration for free members, because it will open the door to spammers. That's why we shut it down to begin with; we ended up with over 30,000 spam accounts that had accumulated in the system over a few years. By making self-registration available to paid members, we filter out the spammers and we get folks in immediately. So that's where we are headed.

Paid membership is handled through PayPal. YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE A PAYPAL ACCOUNT to pay through PayPal! We are losing some members, and some of our bookstore customers who don't seem to understand this. You can pay with your credit or debit card; the payment itself is handled by PayPal, which means your card information is not collected or stored by our site, nor do any of our staff ever see that information. Concerned about security? The proof of the security of our system is in the security stickers in the footer on our MAIN PAGES. We will be adding one from Verisign shortly. Our site is VERY clean and we have a higher security rating than most sites out there. Our IT staff worked very hard to obtain those ratings, and I want you to know that most websites do not have those high ratings. That is the measure of our commitment to your security. We take it VERY seriously.

Here is the standard form letter we are sending out with new forum registrations every day. Thought I would post it here, as it fleshes out the program a little more:

================================================== =
    Thanks for your interest in our forum membership. The membership has three tiers, as follows:

Enhancements
    Free Member
    Private Message Storage: 50
    Gallery Space: 100 pics
    Photos in Posts: 1 mb Limit
    Price: FREE

Supporting Member

Private Message Storage: 200
    Gallery Space: 200 pics
    Photos in Posts: 2 mb Limit
    Price: $35/Year

Premium Member
    Private Message Storage: 500
    Gallery Space: 500 pics
    Photos in Posts: Unlimited
    Price: $65/Year

To set up your free membership, we need the following things from you:

1: Username:
    2. Password (choose a throw-away, as you will change it on your initial login):
    3: State you live in:
    4. Email address you would like to associate with this account:
    5. Your real name (this remains invisible to other members):

As you can imagine, it’s fairly expensive to keep a site like this running, and we appreciate all who contribute to support our community. If you’d like to join as a supporting or a premium member, please deposit the funds directly into our PayPal account by going to THIS LINK. Notify us by email when the funds are transferred, and include your username, password and other information. We will set it up for you.

You can read more about our membership program AT THIS LINK.
    We don’t sell your email address or give out any of your personal information. This information is used to re-set passwords, and to interact with you, should that become necessary.

Upon receiving this information from you, I will set your account up and send you back an email. It won't take long.

Best regards,

-Mike

And here is the follow-up letter we send out once an individual indicates their membership preference:

Thanks for joining our forums! You will find this to be a warm, welcoming community of like-minded folks who love to talk about the Alaska outdoors.

I have set up your membership with the credentials you provided. When you log in, be sure to change your password immediately.

Though all are welcome here, regardless of whether or not you pay for an annual membership, our site is made possible in part by paid memberships. The membership has three tiers, as follows:
    Enhancements
    Free Member
    Private Message Storage: 50
    Gallery Space: 100 pics
    Photos in Posts: 1 mb Limit
    Price: FREE

Supporting Member

Private Message Storage: 200
    Gallery Space: 200 pics
    Photos in Posts: 2 mb Limit
    Price: $35/Year

Premium Member
    Private Message Storage: 500
    Gallery Space: 500 pics
    Photos in Posts: Unlimited
    Price: $65/Year

If you’d like to upgrade to a supporting or a premium member, please deposit the funds directly into our PayPal account by going to THIS LINK. Paypal will notify us by email when the funds are transferred, and we will set it up for you.

You can read more about our membership program AT THIS LINK.

We value your privacy! We don’t sell your email address or give out any of your personal information. This information is used to re-set passwords, and to interact with you, should that become necessary.

Please take a minute to review our FORUM RULES. They’re pretty basic, but they will help improve your experience with us. Highlights of our forum rules are as follows:

1. We do not allow inappropriate language or images on this site.
    2. We do not allow negative comments about individuals or businesses on this site.
    3. Commercial messages are prohibited unless you are a forum sponsor. For information about our advertising rates and programs, EMAIL US.

If you should have any questions concerning forum functionality and such, please direct those to Brian M, our chief forum admin.

There’s a website attached to these forums! In addition to the 85 forums on the site, you also have access to:

1. Over 285 pages on the Main Site
    2. A comprehensive Directory of Alaska outdoor goods and service providers.
    3. The Internet’s largest Book and DVD Store focused exclusively on the Alaska outdoors!

To avoid getting lost on the main site, we encourage your use of the Site Map.

Thanks again for joining us, and we hope you enjoy our forums!

We sure appreciate all of you who are supporting the site financially. It takes a lot to keep this thing running. Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

We know that many of our Premium and Supporting members paid the initial payment a few years ago, but have not "re-upped" because our renewal process is a bit clunky. We will be contacting you for renewal once we get the kinks worked out. NOTE: We will not be asking for retroactive payments for the years you remained in the program, but did not pay. We will, however, give you an opportunity to renew your membership status, and past-due amounts will be forgiven. If you know you need to renew, just click the PayPal link listed above, or click on THIS LINK. Use this email address to send your payment: <outdoorsdirectory09@gmail.com>.
    You don't have to have a PayPal account to pay us; you can use your credit or debit card, and because the payment is handled through PayPal, we never see your credit card info, nor is it stored on our system anywhere.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay