Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And I wanted a 338-06

Default And I wanted a 338-06

A while back I bought a real dandy FN commercial Mauser. On the barrel it reads J.C. Higgins model 50. Sears, Roebuck and Co, caliber 30-06. I bought this gun with the idea of making another 338-06. A week ago I was playing with a friends new bore scope and had a look see down the hole in the for retail 98. The cut rifling looked brand new and had cleaner lines than any gun in my possession that was made recently.

Today I took the old girl out for a shoot. There will be no rebarreling or reboring this rifle. Store bought 180 grain Core Lockts went under an inch as did some 125 grain reloads that have been on my shelf for way to long. I mounted a Leupold 2x7 in Talley one piece low rings/bases. The nicely grained walnut stock has ivory looking diamonds of about 1 inch by 3/4 of an inch inlaid into both sides and the bottom of the forend and then a 2.5 x 1.5 matching diamond on each side of the butt stock. The bolt shroud is of military vintage with a flip up safety that blocks the firing pin. The trigger is not the long creepy military trigger but rather one that is new to me. The trigger has a lever that actually attaches to the trigger itself and is part of the floor plate assembly. This lever cams and has a catch on the end of the lever that hooks onto a catcher lever that is incorporated into the sear housing on the bottom of the receiver which releases the firing pin. Nicest 98 mauser trigger that I have ever messed with. Crisp release with no play.

Tonight I sat in my lazyboy and massage 1000 Plus into the oil finished stock. Me thinks I found a keeper!😁😁

Sometimes best to leave well enough alone.

Sure would be neat to see a picture of that trigger.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Definitely, a Keeper.

Besides, if it were a 338-06, you'd probably be using 200 or 225 grain bullets, and you can do that in 30-06.

I didn't/don't know about such a trigger, but if it works, it's mighty fine.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have a JC Higgins model 50 that me grand pa left for me. It's in 30.06 and shoots like yours does. Mine is set up with a straight 4x red field rifleman and an interesting trigger activated scope cover set up that grandpa's buddy invented. It's said that there is a few dozen of these scope cover setups sold in around the northwest. It's a neat piece. And a freakin tack driver. I'd love to have another one...hint hint :-). If you ever do decide to part with it.

Many years ago, we recovered a rifle that had been stolen many decades ago. It was an Interarms Mark X in 30-06. The rifle in general looked to be in rough shape. I took it to a local gun smith to have it checked out and possible re-barrel to 338-06. Well the rifle check out good, so had it refinished and installed a new scope on it. The rifle will clover leaf three 165 grain Sierra bullets at 100 yards all day long. Needless to say, it stayed a 30-06 and has been on several hunting trips since I got it back.
    Like it has already been said 'leave it well enough alone'!

Pictures of the old girls! Come on now, you know what they say...

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Pictures of the old girls! Come on now, you know what they say...
    OK give me today to work on that. I have a fancy cell phone with a broken camera. But I have other means.... I think. I am about half computer illiterate by choice. I have always believed that where there is a will there is a way. Short on will being the culprit. I will however give it a go.

I might add that this gun sat on gunbroker enticing this old goat for too long. The gentleman selling this gun was our very own gunbugs. Nobody bid on it forever and I finally decided that one like that will never come along for under $500 again so I plucked the gem right out of Alaska and made it an Iowegien gun.

The condition that it is in would make me wonder how much game it has taken. I can't seriuosly hunt with a gun without putting some proof marks on it. This one has none!

Its too bad EKC the 3006 is old and obsolete and probably not capable of killing much larger than a hedgehog... If you get ashamed of having such a dinosaur I would be willing to hide it in a gun safe...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Its too bad EKC the 3006 is old and obsolete and probably not capable of killing much larger than a hedgehog... If you get ashamed of having such a dinosaur I would be willing to hide it in a gun safe...
    I'm sending you these pictures and you can use your fancy puter to show em how bootafull my old 06 is! Thank ya kindly!

[QUOTE=Smitty of the North;1518226]Definitely, a Keeper.

Besides, if it were a 338-06, you'd probably be using 200 or 225 grain bullets, and you can do that in 30-06.

Smitty of the North(/QUOTE)

Smitty old buddy, your right in all practicalities septin an 06 will push a 200 grainer 2600fps if it grunts hard enough and you'd be hard pressed to get 2500 ftps with a 225. Whilst a 338-06 will run that 200 grainer 2900 foots per second and a 225 grainer 2700 foot per second. Those number would make some fellers hoot and holler and they used to would have me. How-some-ever my critter killing most always gets done inside 200 long steps and at that range I really doubt that said critter is gonna care what made him dead.

The barrel on the old girl has a purdy slender profile thus it don't need the hole down the middle of it to be any bigger. I like it just as it is!

EKC told me the modulator valve on the time warp gizmo on his picture sending device is malfunctioning so here is a pic of his new toy fella's...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

[QUOTE=elmerkeithclone;1518395]
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Definitely, a Keeper.

Smitty of the North(/QUOTE)

Smitty old buddy, your right in all practicalities septin an 06 will push a 200 grainer 2600fps if it grunts hard enough and you'd be hard pressed to get 2500 ftps with a 225. Whilst a 338-06 will run that 200 grainer 2900 foots per second and a 225 grainer 2700 foot per second. Those number would make some fellers hoot and holler and they used to would have me. How-some-ever my critter killing most always gets done inside 200 long steps and at that range I really doubt that said critter is gonna care what made him dead.

The barrel on the old girl has a purdy slender profile thus it don't need the hole down the middle of it to be any bigger. I like it just as it is!
    True enough, you can get more velocity from the larger .338 caliber and shorter bearing surface, using those bullet weights, but you will have less SD and BC than with the 30 caliber bullet of the same weight. SO THERE.

When I evaluate cartridges, it's with similar SD bullets. 338 WM, 250 grain--2700 fps. 3006, 180 grain--2700 fps. Otherwise, it seems to be Apples and Oranges.

I've often wondered which has the greater effect on terminal performance, Caliber, Bullet Weight, or Velocity.

That is a right purty rifle. I like the laminating, and the lack of checkering. My 280 stock is without checkering. It makes for nice clean lines. It is truly a custom rifle.

Owning a "Custom Rifle" makes you Special. Of course, you is special already, but some of us need help.

I wonder if Smokey has a Custom Rifle.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

EKC told me the modulator valve on the time warp gizmo on his picture sending device is malfunctioning so here is a pic of his new toy fella's...
    I have posted a few pictures in the past and it was noneventful. I ain't getting it this go around though. I'm thinking that the only gizmo that has any flaws is right betwixt me ears😕.

Very classic! Love the old styles: diamonds, white line spacers, black fore end caps, etc. They hearken to a more down to earth period in hunting and shooting.

That is a bootiful rifle EKC, congrats and happy shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Very classic! Love the old styles: diamonds, white line spacers, black fore end caps, etc. They hearken to a more down to earth period in hunting and shooting.
    If I'm seein what I think I'm seein, Notice the DROP on the stock.

They don't mak'em like that no more.
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    If I'm seein what I think I'm seein, Notice the DROP on the stock.

They don't mak'em like that no more.
    SOTN
    Yup Smitty, this one feels like they are suppose to feel when shouldered.

I have had this for a little while but so much going on that I'm just now getting time to appreciate "Higgy".

Smitty, I don't think I have much in the line of custom guns - I do have a Rem 700 CDL SS Fluted 280 limited edition that I reckon comes close...
    I buy shooters - don't mind them being purdy, but the must feel and shoot good first for me... I have had a couple sweet Krieghoff shotguns when I was competing hot and heavy... I owned a very nice looking Parker-Hale in 25-06 for a spell, never fired it but it was similar to EKC's newest heart throb...

The moral of the story is never shoot a project gun...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast