Thread: Long Lake Glenn Highway

Default Long Lake Glenn Highway

Safe to drive on this lake yet? Updates anyone? Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by hunter530 View Post
    Safe to drive on this lake yet? Updates anyone? Thanks in advance
    It's been safe for awhile now. My boy and I fished there around thanksgiving. We drove our snow machine on it. There was almost a foot of ice back then. I'm sure it's close to 2 feet by now, but always check before going too far out. Drill a couple test holes to make sure. With the recent arm weather there is probably lots of water and/or overflow on top of the ice.

Lots of trucks on the lake last week when we drove by.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I saw two vehicles out on it yesterday.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Went up Sunday. 6 other trucks on the lake and 30" thick ice.

We had a group of 6 and it was a sloowwww day Sat 23rd. I really think the fish are not hungry because of all the bait everyone throws down the holes. The group next to us had about a can of shrimp down each hole after they left. My guess is that the fish come thru at night and then are not hungry during the day. Im not a fish whisperer at all so this is just a assumption. The wind was blowing and with the 14 degree temperature is was a very cold day of fishing. We caught 4 fish all day long between the 6 of us, so I wont say we slammed them. Still was better than any day at work tho!!

Quote Originally Posted by 338MUZZLEBREAK View Post
    We had a group of 6 and it was a sloowwww day Sat 23rd. I really think the fish are not hungry because of all the bait everyone throws down the holes. The group next to us had about a can of shrimp down each hole after they left. My guess is that the fish come thru at night and then are not hungry during the day. Im not a fish whisperer at all so this is just a assumption. The wind was blowing and with the 14 degree temperature is was a very cold day of fishing. We caught 4 fish all day long between the 6 of us, so I wont say we slammed them. Still was better than any day at work tho!!
    Honestly, that's pretty typical for January. For many species of fish, January is the slowest time for ice fishing. Fish are sluggish and lethargic. It's almost like they are in a state of torpor. It will start picking up again soon as more daylight starts to trickle in. What time of day were you fishing? Maybe first light would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Honestly, that's pretty typical for January. For many species of fish, January is the slowest time for ice fishing. Fish are sluggish and lethargic. It's almost like they are in a state of torpor. It will start picking up again soon as more daylight starts to trickle in. What time of day were you fishing? Maybe first light would be better.

We fished from 8am to about 3pm. Ice was a good 2.5 ft thick also. I heard the same thing as talking with others about fishing in Jan and Feb it gets slow. Something about the oxygen levels in the water during this time. A old friend wont even go during these months because its tooo slow of fishing.