Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Lake Trout and Burbot Ice Fishing Trip

  1. #1

    Default Lake Trout and Burbot Ice Fishing Trip

    Just got back from a nice ice fishing trip for lake trout and burbot. We did alright, and had a real good time. Caught both lakers and burbot but not any monsters. One burbot we caught was about 6 or 7 lbs. Tasted awesome! We let all the lake trout go. I was a little frustrated that the lakers were not that aggressive after our lures. We tried many different variations of tube jigs, airplane jigs, and spoons. I was marking lots of fish on my new marcum sonar. We were fishing mostly in 25-55 ft of water. I was wondering if maybe the lake trout were being super picky and selective because the lake we were fishing in has a run of red salmon. I was wondering if anyone knew of a particular lure that might work good modeling red salmon smolt. Like maybe a rapala jig or something similar to that. Please share any advice or opinions on different lures. I know lakers mostly feed on whitefish in most lakes, but what about in lakes that have salmon smolt?

    Here is a link to some pictures. I tried to upload them on imgur.com, but it wasn't working for me. Hopefully this link works.

    http://imgur.com/a/8jahr

  2. #2
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Just got back from a nice ice fishing trip for lake trout and burbot. We did alright, and had a real good time. Caught both lakers and burbot but not any monsters. One burbot we caught was about 6 or 7 lbs. Tasted awesome! We let all the lake trout go. I was a little frustrated that the lakers were not that aggressive after our lures. We tried many different variations of tube jigs, airplane jigs, and spoons. I was marking lots of fish on my new marcum sonar. We were fishing mostly in 25-55 ft of water. I was wondering if maybe the lake trout were being super picky and selective because the lake we were fishing in has a run of red salmon. I was wondering if anyone knew of a particular lure that might work good modeling red salmon smolt. Like maybe a rapala jig or something similar to that. Please share any advice or opinions on different lures. I know lakers mostly feed on whitefish in most lakes, but what about in lakes that have salmon smolt?

    Here is a link to some pictures. I tried to upload them on imgur.com, but it wasn't working for me. Hopefully this link works.

    http://imgur.com/a/8jahr
    Try salt cured roe. Or a smolt wet fly imitation. See, when the smolt out migrate, the Lakers work like killer whales, they force the schools into a tight spot and just way lay them near the creek mouths



    Release Lake Trout

  3. #3
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Try salt cured roe. Or a smolt wet fly imitation. See, when the smolt out migrate, the Lakers work like killer whales, they force the schools into a tight spot and just way lay them near the creek mouths

    When lakers get picky or lethargic, cured salmon roe is the ticket.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Try salt cured roe. Or a smolt wet fly imitation. See, when the smolt out migrate, the Lakers work like killer whales, they force the schools into a tight spot and just way lay them near the creek mouths
    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post

    When lakers get picky or lethargic, cured salmon roe is the ticket.
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try that out next time.

  5. #5
    Member mntransplant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    S. Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    359

    Default

    AWESOME!!! Thanks for posting the pictures. If I can't get out to fish, the next best thing is seeing pictures.
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

  6. #6
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,367

    Default

    Y'know, I've seen some pretty green faces out on the salt; never heard of it on an ice fishing trip before!

  7. #7
    Member akfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Nice fish but man that green face disease looks nasty.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Y'know, I've seen some pretty green faces out on the salt; never heard of it on an ice fishing trip before!
    Quote Originally Posted by akfisher View Post
    Nice fish but man that green face disease looks nasty.
    So I've been told. I've been hearing a lot of that lately.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    BJ, stick with the tube jigs, my goto colors are rainbow, white, and blue in that order. Next time you mark a fish SLOWLY bring your lure up to, or down to the fish and hold it very STILL. If you don't start to feel the nibble then gently, with your wrist only, move your jig a little and then hold still again. The biggest mistake I see people doing out there is jigging by huge up swings with their arms. Lakers are not that agressive usually when biting in the winter. They are very efficient hunters and will not waste time or energy in the winter chasing a lure up and down..

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    BJ, stick with the tube jigs, my goto colors are rainbow, white, and blue in that order. Next time you mark a fish SLOWLY bring your lure up to, or down to the fish and hold it very STILL. If you don't start to feel the nibble then gently, with your wrist only, move your jig a little and then hold still again. The biggest mistake I see people doing out there is jigging by huge up swings with their arms. Lakers are not that agressive usually when biting in the winter. They are very efficient hunters and will not waste time or energy in the winter chasing a lure up and down..
    Great advice! Thanks Steve.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •