Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle suggestions

Default Rifle suggestions

Hey guys

I'm look if for some suggestions on a rifle make and model. The caliber is going to be either 300 WM or 300 SM.
    I I want a something that is 7lbs or under.
    I want as light and accurate as I can afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a huge fan of the Winchester Classics with controlled round feed, 3 position safety, and the super slick pre-64 style action. So much a fan, I have 4 of them, plus a pre-64 Featherweight in .243. Also have a post 64 push feed XTR Featherweight in .30-06 that has taken several Mt Goats and a pile of Caribou.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I would recommend a Browning XBolt Stainless Stalker in 300 Win Mag. The 300 Win Mag has a 26 inch barrel for max velocity and the catalogued weight is 6 pounds 13 ounces.

I have two Xbolts right now chambered in 30-06 and 338 Win Mag and have owned 3 Abolts chambered in 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag and 7mm-08. The thing I like about the Brownings are they are a turnkey rifle right out of the box. You don't need to get a trigger job or glass bed em. The trigger is adjustable and the bedding is already done. My Abolt 300, 338 and 7mm-08 all shot submoa. My Xbolt in 338 shoots submoa and I haven't had a chance to work up a good load for my 30-06 Xbolt just yet but I see no reason why it won't do the same.

We are living in a golden age of CNC machining and I am certain you will find a rifle with the features you like.

Sako finnlight is my favorite

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Go to gun store and shoulder some rifles, I like the sako finnbear, and my win extreme weather mod 70 in .270
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    Hey guys

I'm look if for some suggestions on a rifle make and model. The caliber is going to be either 300 WM or 300 SM.
    I I want a something that is 7lbs or under.
    I want as light and accurate as I can afford.

Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I will be interested to see what you end up with so please let us know. That under 7 lbs. criteria sounds tough to meet in a mass produced rifle, especially in a .30 caliber magnum.

Other then that, like Smokeross, I am fond of the Mod. 70 in either the Pre-64 or the old Post 64 "Classic" style as both still have the wonderfully reliable old style Mod. 70 hunting trigger, a bolt that field strips with out tools and a safety that is as reliable as any ever made.

I've got a kimber Montana that I'm happy with. It's a short action 7mm-08 but with 5 rounds sling and scope it weighs in at 6lb 1oz. The 300wsm isn't much heavier. My rifle shoots sub moa with factory loads.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I've got a kimber Montana that I'm happy with. It's a short action 7mm-08 but with 5 rounds sling and scope it weighs in at 6lb 1oz. The 300wsm isn't much heavier. My rifle shoots sub moa with factory loads.

I was thinking about going that route, but I've gotten mixed reviews on that rifle.
    The one I shot was in .300WSM AND IT SHOT GREAT!

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    I was thinking about going that route, but I've gotten mixed reviews on that rifle.
    The one I shot was in .300WSM AND IT SHOT GREAT!

That little 7mm-08 is quickly becoming my favorite rifle, it's light and a joy to carry. I had herd mixed reviews about the kimbers but with the right rounds it shoots great. I have shot a couple different types of factory rounds and it's about 50/50 on how they shoot. Some shot so bad I'd be surprised to be able to hit the ground but the others have been sub moa and will hold tight groups out past 300yds.i have been super happy I bought that rifle.

Lots of folks using the Tikka T-3. I love mine, been my go to rifle for the last 12 years or so. They are all long action so go with the 300WM and get a set of talley rings for it. Lots of comments in the archives. and yeah it is not a thing of beauty, but it is a tack driver.

Sportsmans warehouse has the tikka with a fluted barrel. Comes in 300WM or WSM. No weight difference on calibers, the action length is the same, they just shorten up the magazine. The guns are in the 6 pound range and all of the ones I have seen shoot real good. The action is smooth and they are easy to carry and shoot. They are quite popular with some after market parts readily available. They are a good cheap, light, 1 moa factory gun. One of the best I think.

The draw backs are the things that cost money. The stock is not great. There is a lot of plastic on the gun. It has a removable magazine. The rings are flimsy (I changed mine to Talley rings).

If you want a production gun that has a bit more flare, the Kimber Mountain Ascent is a 6 pound and change gun in the WSM, even lighter as a .308. It has control round feed, a better stock and no removable magazine. They are reported to shoot really good. Quite popular with the sheep hunting crowd.

I second the Tikka T3. I have one in 270 and that rifle shoots really well. It's lightweight, and they have adjustable triggers. As mentioned I would invest in some Talley rings for it.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I like my Mossberg 4x4, although mine has the synthetic stock rather than the laminate shown in this link -
    http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...s.cgi?i=730794

Why would you want a 300 mag in a 6lb rifle? Flinch much? Horrible hunting round, probably destroys more meat than any round in Alaska. Get an 06 or ? You could say what you are doing with the rifle. I imagine it is sheep hunting and you think you need a 300 to shoot long range. The new mod 70 featherweight in 06 is a great rifle. New as in 2010 when FN bought Winchester.

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Why would you want a 300 mag in a 6lb rifle? Flinch much? Horrible hunting round, probably destroys more meat than any round in Alaska. Get an 06 or ? You could say what you are doing with the rifle. I imagine it is sheep hunting and you think you need a 300 to shoot long range. The new mod 70 featherweight in 06 is a great rifle. New as in 2010 when FN bought Winchester.
    I want a .300 because it's a caliber I've always been fond of.

I'm looking for a all around rifle that suits all my needs.
    Yes I have a 30.06 and yes I have a .270
    Those two caliber swill arguably do everything in Alaska.
    But like I said.. I'm looking to have a .300 that is under 7 pounds

Third vote for the Tikka T-3....Ive got one in 338 Federal, it has become my favorite rifle. Taken everything from bison to sheep. Under 7lbs with a scope.

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Use Barnes X bullets and you won't be tearing up a wheel barrow full of meat. I shot a goat this year with my model 70 Classic in .300 Win. No exit hole. Goat went down hill about 40 yards and done. The only wasted meat was where 2 ribs were broke going in on a quartering shot.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

The trouble with the Tikka as a hunting rifle is the lack of a three position safety. Other than that they are great rifles.

I would check out Christiansen arms Summit-Ti in 300 wsm weighs in at 6.2 pounds. Or the Fierce arms Carbon EDGE weighing in at 6.4 pounds with an accuracy guarantee of and I quote," 1/2" groups at 100 yards with appropriate ammunition". These are not cheap rifles but they are extremely light, both have Breaks and the are very accurate.

Well I pulled the trigger on a
    Tikka T3 Superlight.
    I haven't mounted a scope on her yet, but soon will

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast