Thread: fuel water separator

Smile fuel water separator

I have a 2007 extreme shallow with the Yamaha 160 fuel injected motor. I would like to install a few water separator in line on the fuel line. Any suggestion on the type of filter, micron size of filter, fuel flow. There is a fuel pump in the gas tank and a fuel rail on the motor. Is a fuel filter on this motor a good or bad idea? Thanks for any info.

Go with a Racor 320R-Rac-01 setup. There's 2 different versions, one for an outboard and one for inboard applications. Haven't heard of a Yamaha 160 (outboard jet?) or have seen any in tank fuel pumps in small boats but one of those filter setups would work with a 10 micron filter.
    Always a good idea to have a separator; and also carry a spare filter on the boat. I like that setup because the filter has a clear plastic bowl at the bottom to see & drain water out of the filter, you'll be surprised how much water you will collect in there. I change my filter out 3-4 times a year but I'm averaging 1200 hrs and running year round.
    It's cheap insurance and easy to do, mount it in a place easily accessible and where you can get a container under the bowl when you drain it. The motor itself should also have a fuel filter (my 115's have em under the cowling) and I replace those once a year.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Here you go.

Racor Fuel/Water Separator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N9FYBI..._g0YHwbHS4YD2E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

The yamaha 160 is an inboard jet. I agree with you Jim there should be a fuel filter but for some reason beyond my comprehension the boat manufacturer did not deem necessary to install an in line fuel filter, unless there is a filter in the fuel tank with the fuel pump, this boat does not have a fuel fuel filter. Will the water separator act as a fuel filter or do I need a fuel filter too.

So there's not even an inline filter anywhere, even a cheap one? I'd do both; the racor then downstream an inline filter.
    Where's the boat at Dave?
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Something to think about is the fuel line psi.
    You may lower your fuel pressure with a add-on filter.
    When I repowered my boat from a carbureted engine with a inline fuel water separator to a fuel injected engine using the same filter.
    The new engine would not run right.
    We ended up removing the inline filter.
    I just use the original fuel filter. I replace it every year.
    My boat is trailered and I do not buy my gas from a marine fuel station.
    I have never had a water in fuel problem.

This is such a simple application no need to get expensive nor complicated. There's thousands upon thousands of racors in use and I've seen small outboards pull fuel via a fuel line bulb thru a racor just pumping it my hand. Key is the right one for the application. Also it's not uncommon to have water in fuel nor or for it to develop by condensation in tanks both plastic and aluminum. If an engine (any) won't run with the proper filtration or pull fuel thru a separator there's likely something else amiss.
    Could try calling Extreme or whoever services your motor too and see what they recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by deltadave1547 View Post
    The yamaha 160 is an inboard jet. I agree with you Jim there should be a fuel filter but for some reason beyond my comprehension the boat manufacturer did not deem necessary to install an in line fuel filter, unless there is a filter in the fuel tank with the fuel pump, this boat does not have a fuel fuel filter. Will the water separator act as a fuel filter or do I need a fuel filter too.
    You have a Jamx and your correct no filter. There is only a screen on the pump which is inside the tank. If you do install a racor your not supposed to use the clear bowl style only the solid metal base style for safety reason on an inboard.
    North River and Phantom Boat Dealer
    Mecury, FNM Diesel Engine, Hagglund sales and service
    Prop, Impeller & Alumimum boat repair, customization, & metal fabrication.
    Visit www.akfrontierfab.com

I will answer the easy question first, the boat is at my house in Delta Junction. I talked to the parts guy at the boat shop in Fairbanks were the boat was purchased, I am the second owner. The parts guy said a fuel filter could not be installed in this boat. I did not ask him why, silly me. Tiderunner the thought did cross my mind about fuel line pressure, fuel flow, and fuel pressure. Maybe that is why the part guy said no fuel filter, I dont know. The first boat I owned had a in-line filter I had this boat 11 years and change the filter a couple of times and did not have problems with water. I am not sure there is problem with water in the fuel tank but I want to put a fuel filter in this boat and might as well have a water separator filter for a few dollars more. I too fill my boat up at the local gas station, I don't get water in my truck gas tank, I fill my truck then pull forward then fill the boat tank. My truck runs and the boat runs.
    Kodiak thanks for the link to tony's tips. Thanks to you to Mike for the link.

I will answer the easy question first, the boat is at my house in Delta Junction. I talked to the parts guy at the boat shop in Fairbanks were the boat was purchased, I am the second owner. The parts guy said a fuel filter could not be installed in this boat. I did not ask him why, silly me. Tiderunner the thought did cross my mind about fuel line pressure, fuel flow, and fuel pressure. Maybe that is why the part guy said no fuel filter, I dont know. The first boat I owned had a in-line filter I had this boat 11 years and change the filter a couple of times and did not have problems with water. I am not sure there is problem with water in the fuel tank but I want to put a fuel filter in this boat and might as well have a water separator filter for a few dollars more. I too fill my boat up at the local gas station, I don't get water in my truck gas tank, I fill my truck then pull forward then fill the boat tank. My truck runs and the boat runs.
    Check the specs on the Racor, because I believe it is supposed to be operated under suction, not pressure. Move the fuel pump to downstream of the fuel filter and it would be fine. Pushing the water through the media of the filter is the issue. Auto parts stores have 12v fuel pumps that would do the trick, just go to a regular tube pickup in the tank. Also, the metal bowl on the filter separator is only required when installing it inside the machine space (under the cowling) and the plastic bowl is OK if the filter is outside, like mounted on the transom.

Polar Marine
    PolarMarine.net

In the old days before the internet when we wanted to install something correctly we read the instruction.

http://www.parker.com/literature/Rac...RAC_Series.pdf

http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PA...DE&stpoint=DL#

That's what my ex used to say!!!!!

Since the HP pump is in the tank it doesn't appear you could run a separator between the pump and engine. If I recall its 30-40psi. Easist thing might be to install fuel tank fuel filtering system that just circulates and filters the fuel in the tank.

Thanks guys for all the useful information. That makes sense now, why the part guy said I could not put a filter in the fuel system. What kind of fuel filtering system could I put in the fuel tank

Thanks guys for all the useful information. That makes sense now, why the part guy said I could not put a filter in the fuel system. What kind of fuel filtering system could I put in the fuel tank
    We have an extreme shallow in the yard we will be yarding out the Jamx pump and motor and installing a 212 and 250 Diesel. When we do I'll see what options are possible with the tank.

Thanks halibutgrove