Thread: Susitna River Ducks /Birds?

Default Susitna River Ducks /Birds?

DSCN6741.jpg I had posted this on Yentna, thread.Thought i would start new thread.There are alot of these ducks out on the river, some flying in flocks, some just sitting there.Not so good for some of them, Mr, Eagle got couple today.Never seen anything like this in almost 40 years of running the River.Anybody know what kind? Close i could come/ find was a Grebes, but not quite the right match.Strange.Anybody have any ideas whats up with that/

I saw 2 of the same kind on the snow about a mile or so below Deshka Landing yesterday afternoon. They were just standing there in the snow and flew off a little ways as I came by. Never seen before like Susitna said.

Murres maybe? There is another thread in the power boating section about a big die off in PWS and other coastal areas.

Try are the common murre, displaced from the recent hurricane force winds on the chain and surrounding areas. There are several news stories and Facebook group postings about the birds, they are asking people to try and collect the birds and bring them into your local bird rescue. The Houston bird rescue group is taking them in.....

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Try are the common murre, displaced from the recent hurricane force winds on the chain and surrounding areas. There are several news stories and Facebook group postings about the birds, they are asking people to try and collect the birds and bring them into your local bird rescue. The Houston bird rescue group is taking them in.....
    TMS Thanks for the reply and answer

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    Murres maybe? There is another thread in the power boating section about a big die off in PWS and other coastal areas.
    Thanks! i found it, I pasted a link to spread the word there too.

SusitnaAk,
    they are Murres. There is a big writeup in this mornings paper about them. People are seeing them from Moose Pass to Talkeetna. Storms have pushed them out and they are starving to death.
    Tony

Evidently they are a water only bird that can't takeoff from land?
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Evidently they are a water only bird that can't takeoff from land?
    http://www.adn.com/article/20151230/...central-alaska
    I read that too, But i have been watching them past couple days ,they are all over out here,We have a pretty stiff breeze 20+ and they seem to be able to pop up and fly off the river without water, maybe the wind helping them with lift like airplane. Darnest thing i ever seen.

Saw 100 or so last Thursday flying above the knik river bridge inbound couldn't figure out what they were, at that time I had not heard the story's yet. We found several on the way up the deshka sat.
    If you look closely they are dead alongside the hwy and on the side of the road "pavement" from eklutna to the interchange. There was 2 on the knik bridge inbound today, counted 11 anch to Wasilla and return, I sit up high "18 wheeler" so I may see more than cars can.

On the ride out yesterday there were many dead on the river,Mother Natures cycle of life, The Eagles ,Owls,Foxes, Ravens,were out making the best of there New Years, bounty. Picked up the ones that were still alive and dropped them off at that bird center in Big Lake.
    From what i have been reading this been going on long time back to Aug. all up and down the west coast,from Calf, to Alaska.
    Seemed to calm down a bit from last week there were just waves of flocks all up and down on the river.
    I didn't realize it at the time, there is couple threads in the power boat section too,