Thread: Spot and stalk black bear

Default Spot and stalk black bear

I know it's a bit early to start a spring bear thread, but I have a few questions that I would like to get some opinions on. For what it's worth, I'm generally talking about the middle of May.

1) What do you look for when choosing a south facing mountain slope to glass (what characteristics from an aerial image etc)
    2) For setting up a camp (for 2-3 day stints) do you set your camp on the southern exposure, and glass the side you are on? Do you set up on the northern exposure across from where you hope the bears will be. (Then you can see much more of the southern exposure, but you need to deal with a river crossing, etc one you spot the bear.
    3) I expect the bears are lower in the spring than in the fall when they're on berries. How far up the slopes are they generally found during the middle of may? Are they on lake edges at all?
    4) How long would you generally glass one slope for before moving on to fresh ground (either moving camp or driving)?

I know it's a lot of questions. Just looking for some opinions, and curious what others do. If you would like to discuss it via PM that's OK too!

Thanks!

I know you are talking black bear, but I would HIGHLY recommend Joe Want's DVD set "Success In Brown Bear Hunting"
    It answers all of your glassing/camping questions & a lot of others in great detail & is laid out in a way that's interesting & informative. It's not a "hunting video", it's a "how to hunt successfully class" taught by a master.
    Every bear hunter should own a copy!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I know you are talking black bear, but I would HIGHLY recommend Joe Want's DVD set "Success In Brown Bear Hunting"
    It answers all of your glassing/camping questions & a lot of others in great detail & is laid out in a way that's interesting & informative. It's not a "hunting video", it's a "how to hunt successfully class" taught by a master.
    Every bear hunter should own a copy!
    Thanks! I'll have to look into that video.