Thread: landing on roads in Alaska

Default landing on roads in Alaska

Does anyone know if it is still legal to land planes on the roads in Alaska as a matter of routine in non emergency situations if the road is low traffic volume? I heard that planes have the right of way on roads up here for non emergency landings?

If that is the case you could build a hangar near a long stretch of road and just look both ways?

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    Does anyone know if it is still legal to land planes on the roads in Alaska as a matter of routine in non emergency situations if the road is low traffic volume? I heard that planes have the right of way on roads up here for non emergency landings?

If that is the case you could build a hangar near a long stretch of road and just look both ways?
    Some years ago, it was against the law to land on a road in Alaska. Several guide/pilots did it with seeming impunity, however. Don't know what the law is now, but I expect it's still a no-no unless a real emergency . . .

Just make sure you get you wide load permit
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

During my 20 years of Public safety work I was told that landing aircraft had the right of way. But I could NEVER find it in writing. I believe it stemmed from the fact that the rules of the road required everyone not in trouble to make way for anyone IN-TROUBLE no matter what type of vehicle they had.

These days there are far too many wires and cables over almost any straight stretch of road. Plus the roads are now full of pansies who will complain about anything. So if you scare somebody, block the road or make their poodle go into heat, they will probably demand that you be charged with reckless vehicle operation.

The FAA also has the catch-all about reckless operation. So landing on the highway during an emergency will probably not be a problem. But blocking traffic for regular operations will not end well for you.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I have heard that as well but also was never able to find it in the Alaska Statutes.