Thread: Permit Auctions

Default Permit Auctions

Just looking at the permits up for auction for the coming hunting season 2016-17.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-f/..._2016_2017.pdf

Does anyone know where you can find what past permits were auctioned off for? In particular, I'm curious about the Koyukuk moose permit that the Midnight Sun Gun Dog Association is auctioning off. Any ideas on what those have gone for int he past?

I also noticed that they have a few more permits up this year (18 this year, vs 13 last year). Anyone know how the state decides how many tags to give up for auction?

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    Just looking at the permits up for auction for the coming hunting season 2016-17.

Does anyone know where you can find what past permits were auctioned off for? In particular, I'm curious about the Koyukuk moose permit that the Midnight Sun Gun Dog Association is auctioning off. Any ideas on what those have gone for int he past?

I also noticed that they have a few more permits up this year (18 this year, vs 13 last year). Anyone know how the state decides how many tags to give up for auction?
    Most of the information is shown on the ADF&G site here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ction_overview

I don't see any reference to past winners, but that may be listed somewhere online. My speculation regarding the difference in number is just that there may not have been applications requesting the other permits. They only issue so many of each specific species/area/etc..., so if groups all submit applications for the same areas, only some of those will be given and others that didn't get applied for go empty. Just my guess though. There is also the aspect of director's discretion on awarding the permits, so it may just be that there was some other reason that they felt they could not give out as many in a given year.

Oak,

Not sure if this is for real or not, but it's from last year and says one of the nonres Koyukuk permits went for $14K:
    http://www.onlinehuntingauctions.com...-830_i21539248

And here is a link to the MSGDA notification about the Koyukuk permit:
    http://msgda.org/wp-content/uploads/...r-and-Info.pdf

(This brings back uncomfortable memories of HB 161! <grin>)

If you have to ask the price..........then you "CAN'T" afford it...........................humor........

As a resident how do I apply for the sheep permit SS143 ?

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    As a resident how do I apply for the sheep permit SS143 ?
    you dont "apply", you go to the event and bid. he with the deepest pockets wins..
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

Quote Originally Posted by Carlak2fl View Post
    you dont "apply", you go to the event and bid. he with the deepest pockets wins..
    Indeed. Western Chugach, and at a big show in NV. I'll bet that one goes for pretty big bucks.

I really like the idea of my out of state buddy getting that Koyukuk Moose tag, but if it goes for $14,000 or so, I think that's too much for him. One way to find out though, go to the banquet in Eagle River and see first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlak2fl View Post
    I fully understand what it is i.e. a rich man purchase tag. I think it's crap they give a tag out like that to the highest bidder and there is no chance for a resident to "draw" the same permit. All other AK hunts and all other western states that auction tags off that I'm aware of, there is a way for a resident to draw the tag/purchase a lottery ticket, even a governor type tag. Not with this the "Western Chugach" SS143 tag. The rest of the auction list a resident can draw that tag.

That's why DS123 was initially established, so the "governors tag holder" can hunt ram valley/eagle River. Why not make DS 123 good for the "Western Chugach" like this auction permit does.

Good point on the SS143 tag. These are supposed to be bringing in big money for the state to fund conservation efforts, etc. I'd be interested to see exactly how much money.

I saw a few on the list that are doing raffles. I might have to buy a few tickets for those since there is no way I'm shelling out thousands. I'm still young ish... (40s), I can wait out the lottery chances for a few more decades at these prices!

I heard the Chugach tag brought 80k. but i cannot find anything to verify that in print anywhere. i guess you have to go to know...
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

Good point on the SS143 tag. These are supposed to be bringing in big money for the state to fund conservation efforts, etc. I'd be interested to see exactly how much money.

I saw a few on the list that are doing raffles. I might have to buy a few tickets for those since there is no way I'm shelling out thousands. I'm still young ish... (40s), I can wait out the lottery chances for a few more decades at these prices!
    If the state wanted to get big bucks from a tag they ought to auction a Denali Park moose tag and a sheep tag.

Pretty sure the Chugach tag went for $140k. Shooting tame eams off the highway is a rich man's "sport!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post
    Pretty sure the Chugach tag went for $140k. Shooting tame eams off the highway is a rich man's "sport!"
    Or "rich woman's" sport as was the case this year....

Maybe "ALL" of those draw permits should be auctioned off the the highest bidder, to balance the state budget. Hell, sell the tier one and tier two permits also.

2015 Chugach tag fetched $190,000. They switched from DS123 to the new "Western Chugach" tag.

http://www.onlinehuntingauctions.com...spx?i=21233418

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    2015 Chugach tag fetched $190,000. They switched from DS123 to the new "Western Chugach" tag.

http://www.onlinehuntingauctions.com...spx?i=21233418

well I'd say the state got their money on that one....wow!