Thread: Lake George trail? Safe to cross river?

Default Lake George trail? Safe to cross river?

Hello. My buddies and I have the adfg cabin rented for the week after new year. I was wondering if anybody has crossed the river on the trail this year? Heard it can be scetchy at times but people have had that cabin reserved every weekend this year. Don't won't to go out there if it is not safe to cross the river. Thanks

joe

I was down there last weekend and checked out the launch. There were 2 separate parties that made it across the river but it had lots of overflow and they took an alternate path downriver to get across. The "normal" route/direction was not passable due to the overflow. We've since had -20's for a few days and now we are back in the positive 20's and 30's. If you are driving from anchorage, I'd call the trooper post in Delta as the main fish cop travels in there almost weekly and can give you a good bit of advice when the time gets closer.

Bgarcher44

Thanks for the update, we are heading out tomorrow, and hopefully it will be good to go. How do you negotiate overflow? just drive around the wet spots, or just go really fast?

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    Thanks for the update, we are heading out tomorrow, and hopefully it will be good to go. How do you negotiate overflow? just drive around the wet spots, or just go really fast?
    You go around the overflow assuming you know where they are. If you get caught have a plan B The equipment to get out and how to use it.
    The only time going like hell is a good idea is if you make it. If you do what about the other people can they also get through? If not you may be stranded on one side.

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    There were 15 trucks/trailers down there this weekend, you will have no issues crossing the river. The only thing you'll have to worry about is whether or not there are any pike left!!!