Thread: Haul road boots

Default Haul road boots

I'm coming next fall to hunt caribou on the haul road, haven't seen much on here about it but what are the best boots for the tundra here?

Hip waders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

I find that I use rubber knee high boots for about 95% of my walking. There are areas where I wear gore tex lined hiking boots, and other areas where I want hip or chest waders...it kind of depends on where you want to hunt and how ambitious you are.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

My preference is (at least) knee high and water proof. I use Muck brand boots most if the time. Though I have used hip and chest waders as well. The ankle high hiking boots might get you a twisted ankle if you're not super careful.

I would be careful which muck boot you went with. Yes they are priceless because of the water hazards, but I only have the arctic pro's which are great in extremely cold weather. This year I went up in the later half of September and came back with trench foot even diligently changing out socks. I think they have one rated to 0 degrees which would be way better for that time of year, but all around I would say its the best boot for the job as long as you follow the ratings for the time of year you plan to hunt.

When are you actually plan on coming? For the tundra, late August/September I just use good hiking boots with no issues, as they are closer to atigun pass and there is less standing water. If you plan on going more north then I would wear some good duck boots or even waders.
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

We are coming up Sept. 8-16, haven't decided where yet. depends on caribou and amount of hunters, do they still have the buffet at deadhorse?

Yes the hotel still has the restaurant. By then I would think you would be looking at just north of atigun pass to Pump3. I would just go with hiking boots.
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

Went up last year for the first two wks of sept. Hunted around ps3. Wore my Meindel 10in hunting boots the whole time without a problem. Just took them off to cross a few creeks about three miles out. My buddy wore light chest waders and was comfortable. If you wear leather hiking boots just treat them with Sno Seal and a hair drier. This made my boots water proof. You will be running into 2-4 inches of water a lot! I prefer hiking boots for the support when you have a bou on your back and have to do the tundra walk

I would bring a pair of knee-high rubber boots and a pair of solid hiking boots. Even on trips up there when I "knew" where I was going to be hunting, plans change as the caribou are caribou and you never know where they will end up. I love my LaCrosse Alphaburly boots as they have a solid sole so my feet do not wear out and they roll down to ankle height when it's warm. I usually end up using my 6" gore-tex hiking boots more than the rubber ones though.

Have fun up there!

I had this same problem on boots. After doing the hunt several times, i came up with a solution for me at least. I bought some knee high waterproof socks. These are ones warn by soccer players and not the ones found at Cabelas or other hunting shops. Bought mine from Sox Fox and had to order them from the UK.$42 and worth every penny. My boots were 10" tops, leather and worked super well for crossing the wet spots. Never got my feet wet. The other item I did look at and considered were 'Chotas' from Cabelas. They are bullet proof roll up, light weight hip boots, that fit on like socks inside your boots. Lotsa guys use them for summer fly fishing and are very light weight and tear resistant. May invest in a pair for crossing the Sag on next Sept. hunt. I like any boot that will lace up the ankle for support when walking on the tundra. Seems like you can walk two miles in and on top of a ridge there will be a huge water puddle you need to cross and walking around really is not an option. PM and I can send the email address for the socks. Only need one pair, as I wore a very light weight nylon pair under them. Good luck.

Thank you all for the great insight and suggestions, I can't wait to go this fall.

Cover all the bases. Lightweight hiking are good in some areas. At times 18" rubber boots work in wet areas. And then you just might see something across a small stream and the hips are going to be your best friend. Sorry - I take em all.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Meindls, knee high waterproof socks with wool socks inside, goretex gaiters, and gortex rain pants worked for us. Boots were wet but feet were dry.

don't forget the sourdough slippers. over boots by neos. used that last time i was up and allowed me to wear my 10" meindls all the time and then just slip on the over boots for crossings. they only weigh in about 2lbs, and are relatively easy to walk in.