Thread: 30-06 and 168 grain Barnes TTX

Default 30-06 and 168 grain Barnes TTX

I have this urge to load up some 168 grain Barnes Tipped Triple Shock Boat Tail bullets. That is a real mouthful, huh? If any of you have poked holes in any critters with this bullet, whether from a 30-06 or .30 caliber magnum, what do you think? I have used the 180 grain flat base Barnes X bullet for years and like it and don't really think a boat tail bullet makes a difference for hunting in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I have this urge to load up some 168 grain Barnes Tipped Triple Shock Boat Tail bullets. That is a real mouthful, huh? If any of you have poked holes in any critters with this bullet, whether from a 30-06 or .30 caliber magnum, what do you think? I have used the 180 grain flat base Barnes X bullet for years and like it and don't really think a boat tail bullet makes a difference for hunting in Alaska.
    I'd say your last sentence pretty well sums it up. Seems like a case of "asked and answered".
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Cannot comment on your question, but since you didn't ask...I get great accuracy with the 168 TTSX in my .308, also the 175LRX. Haven't happened upon a willing participant for a report as to performance in the field.

I've used the 168 TTSX for 2 seasons now, but have yet to shoot an animal with it, but they group well on paper. I have to former co-workers that used the 168 gr. TTSX in 2013 on caribou, and both filled their tags. No complaints from either one of the guys, but they each took a second shot.

I've taken black-tail deer with 168 TSX's (not tipped), and my son and I took a mountain goat with 168 TSX's, both examples were 30-06 hand-loads. The bullets exited the other side of the deer and put them down. The mountain goat took two shots, and we retrieved the bullets on the far side.

A different application of TTSX's for comparison, my daughter and I each took mountain goats this fall with 120grn TTSX's from 7mm-08 hand-loads...each goat took two shots and each shot exited the far side. I also took three deer this fall with that same bullet/cartridge combo, and all bullets exited the far side.

Have used them in my son's .308. Taken two moose with great success.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Depends on if you are going to shoot stuff at a "long range". It is nice to have a bit more velocity and accuracy and a higher BC bullet around 300-400 yards or more. If you would never conceive of shooting anything past 300 yards there is not much need to change it up. Especially if the 180 is accurate. Heck, it is winter so you gotta have some gun project. Load a few up and if you are getting better accuracy, then switch. If not, then you fired your gun 30x over a few days and you are happy.

My brother shoots the 168g TTSX out of his 30-06. Kills stuff as dead as anything else. It is stupid accurate, so that was his reasoning for using the bullet. There is no reason it won't work on all AK game just as good as the 180g.