Thread: New to Ice Fishing

Default New to Ice Fishing

I am looking to try ice fishing on Figure 8 lake and have never ice fished before. I am looking for what gear i should get and what kind of lures. And of course any tips and tricks.

Me too! The last time I ice-fished was on Fire Lake, back in 1980. We got one trout and a burbot. Also a good lesson in having the right tool for the job. My brother was using a tire iron to chip out a hole someone else had drilled. You all can probably guess what happened next...

There's probably a bunch of threads that I need to research, just a pain to do that on the phone. But I'll offer much gratitude to any pointers on good background info.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEARGUIDE View Post
    I am looking to try ice fishing on Figure 8 lake and have never ice fished before. I am looking for what gear i should get and what kind of lures. And of course any tips and tricks.
    That there is a deep topic. Your best bet would be to walk into 3 Rivers in Wasilla and talk to Mike. Give yourself an hour, and he can give you a very good, comprehensive look at all the gear you will need, from basic to advanced, (depending on your dedication to the sport and depth of your pockets), regulations, etc. There are other shops that can help, too, but I recommend him because he's truly an expert on the fishery.

Nutshell: 5 lines can be fished; I put out 4 tip-ups and jig with one pole. Preferred jigs are soft plastics; white tubes in 3-4", Medium sized storm lures pike minnows, and others. Always use wire leaders: pike cut lines with their razor sharp teeth. Tip-up rigging is simple: herring or hooligan on a wire leader and single 5/0 octopus style owner or gamakatsu, or owner treble hooked quick strike rig. Small split shot to help herring sink (optional), and set herring fairly close to the ice. I'll try a set or two near bottom if the higher sets aren't hooking up, but pike's eyes look up, so sets up high in the water column are usually best. Get a jaw spreader. Bring pliers. This advice works for any pike lake in the area. Figure Eight is a popular lake, so fish a spot where others have fished. There's basically 2 spots on the lake that consistently fish well, and there will be plenty of sign there.

xxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXXXX SORRY Mistake SID