Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharing catch with hunting partners

Default Sharing catch with hunting partners

The thread regarding what to do with 'extra' game meat got me in the mood to post this question. Do you have a 'known' standard when it comes to splitting up a catch of game meat between partners who both/all don't get to punch a tag on a hunt?

I am thankful for what we have and harvest, but honestly when other folks don't conduct themselves with integrity, it just chaps my hide. I wondered if my expectations were to high or selfish- or if some people just behave like asses.

What sparked this for me- is that we allowed a family member to accompany us to our moose camp. We paid for all fuel (for boat, skiff, quads), groceries, booze- I feel that this doesn't change the expectation, but is relevant. Days were spent targeting a catch for the guest- he shot a small bull & we helped getting the animal out, butchering wrapping it (with our supplies) & freezing it, then hauling it out. Done at the expense of time for our family to hunt and space that we could not bring out the home canned fish that we generally get in the fall. After that was all done- we got a see ya & NO moose. Not even the piece that is usually cooked after the catch. Seriously, not one taste. Do I sound bitter? This fella doesn't have a herd of kids or even a wife- though he shared with his friends. I immediately was wound up- my dh urged me not to be to harsh, as my daughter had been fortunate enough to get a cow a month prior. We will deplete the freezer before the year is up (5 kids+2), but that isn't really the problem for me. In my opinion the guest hunter (not a new hunter) didn't do the right thing in the case. Didn't even offer...

In my years of being at moose camp- (20ish) the moose would have been slit in 1/2 if both parties helped get the animal out. We'd all help butcher & package, and in the few years that my family used a butcher- we'd split the cost.

What do you guys do?

We almost always split down the middle. I hadn't done this when I was younger, and regret doing so. This year we took three bulls for 4 people, so everybody took home 3 quarters and similar amount of boned out meat. When I got home with my portion, it got split three ways again to my parents, my brothers family and my family. We've found it is always a good idea to discuss this before heading out. Even if the pre-hunt discussion doesn't go your way and a hunter like that says they are taking all of the meat, then at least you know this going into the hunt and it won't be a surprise when the hunt is over. It might also make you reconsider waking them up first thing in the morning when that bull is hanging just outside of camp.

I'm sure you're going to get a variety of answers....but in my camp- everyone who packs meat...gets meat.

To my mind...kids at home, fish space, who bought fuel, booze, owned the tent etc,etc,etc doesn't even matter. If I pack one out solo, it's mine. If my partner helps pack...he gets a share if he chooses to accept it.

I've helped pack out folks animals and declined to accept any, but if they fail to offer...that's just rude.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

It does not matter if we are hunting , fishing, crabbing or what have you, we always split the rewards ( if there are any) by the number in the party. We also split the expenses ( regardless of the rewards). Seems the only fair way. If a party member does not see it that way they are not invited back.

For us, unless there is some special circumstances, the meat gets split evenly between those involved in the hunt (usually by family or household rather than individuals). We've never discussed the split before, but also have never had any issues in the past.

I'm glad I don't have your family. That guy would never hunt with me again which might create some issues around the family get togethers.
    We always split everything: costs and fish or game. Some friend came up to hunt and not only paid for the gas; they offered me half of their game. My freezer had plenty in it so they got to take it all home.

I have one hunting partner & we split anything we kill. If I go out alone while he is otherwise occupied & I kill a moose, half of it will be laying by his front door. Actually all of it will be because we will process it at his place, but I will leave half with him. We are partners whether both of us are there when something dies or not...
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by aknome View Post
    I'm glad I don't have your family. That guy would never hunt with me again which might create some issues around the family get togethers.
    We always split everything: costs and fish or game. Some friend came up to hunt and not only paid for the gas; they offered me half of their game. My freezer had plenty in it so they got to take it all home.
    Yup. I split 50/50 with the guys who hunt with me. We share the work. Packing, butchering, etc. I have even done a 50/50 split with guys who didn't help with fuel and other expenses, but if I felt like they did their part, or did the best they could, that was enough.
    Same goes when it happens the other way. I'm taking you hunting, help you gut and get it out. Help you butcher. Yeah, I don't need to ask or ***** foot around. I'm taking my share.
    When we butcher, there is a cooler for all involved and it gets divided accordingly.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I always offer a share to anyone who helps, and always refuse when some else offers.

We divide evenly among the party - has always worked well.

Always split between the hunting party. Lay the rules out first so nothing is gray, and extra hands help in the processing, you throw a bone (few packs of meat etc.) depending on the LOE.

Example, several years ago we tagged two massive bulls on the Koyukuk between 3 hunting in the party. 3 of us did 80% of the hunt and work, but had to fly the meat back to anchorage due to weight limitations. Had a friend in town pick the meat up, hang it (with neighbors help) and the both helped with the full processing, (plus my neighbor let me use his vac sealer).

All said and done, we split the meat 5 ways plus offered a few packs to the 2 or 3 guys that stepped up to help.

When in doubt though, always, always, ALWAYS!, lay it out up front. Cuts out the BS like you had to deal with.

if your family or friends want it all, tell them to hire a guide, and that doesn't always mean you get 100% of the meat either.
    Tony

We always share equally. Every hunter gets a share.

Depends on what's being hunted and the circumstances of the hunt. But if it's not discussed thoroughly beforehand, I'm not going to piss and moan or worry about it if the other party doesn't have the same standards for sharing that I do. And I won't hold it against him. If it bothered me, I would be sure to discuss it before a future hunt.

That said, if it's a camp hunt for big game like an elk or a moose, our family group, which included an assortment of friends too, shared costs, work, and meat as equally as we could without getting anal about it. Now we didn't usually keep a running tally on everything, but the group as a whole tried to do as good or better than the next guy and we didn't have any slackers. If a new guy didn't measure up, he got a talking to and if that didn't do the trick, they weren't invited back. I can only remember two or three in all the time we had our elk camp. Now my dad had a friend, Nellie, who was the only guy in a large extended group who never killed an elk. But Nellie was a great hunting partner in every other way. Always brought plenty of supplies, was always available for work parties such as when we brushed around the cabin, or built a bathroom, or put a new roof on the cabin, and if there was meat to pack out, he never shirked. Nellie always got a full share of any meat. Now we had such a large extended group that we didn't all hunt at the same time. Some guys hunted the first week, some the second, and some could only hunt weekends depending on work. But if you were there when an animal was killed and helped packing or butchering you got a share. Now there were special circumstances once in a while where someone got a little extra for something they did, but we usually talked them over and took a vote on those.

With deer hunting, where we mostly day hunted and each guy packed his own animal out for the most part, we didn't do much sharing of the meat. Whoever got it took it home. Once in a while someone offered to share, but it wasn't expected and no feelings were hurt if it wasn't shared.

But the main point is, if you expect something, make sure it's shared upfront. This prevents hurt feelings and misunderstandings and prevents family feuds and saves friendships. Don't expect someone to be a mind reader.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    Depends on what's being hunted and the circumstances of the hunt. But if it's not discussed thoroughly beforehand, I'm not going to piss and moan or worry about it if the other party doesn't have the same standards for sharing that I do. And I won't hold it against him. If it bothered me, I would be sure to discuss it before a future hunt...
    My thoughts exactly. Just like a lot of things in life, unmet expectations are often the core of the problem. On both sides.

The best practice is to discuss all of this BEFORE the hunt. Don't make the assumption that everyone is on the same page! The man who harvested this moose is probably a great guy who would feel horrible if he knew how everyone else felt about how it all went down. Just talk about it ahead of time. Otherwise, nobody has a right to hold it against someone for violating a standard that was assumed, but not made clear. Good hunting partners are hard enough to find these days. If this guy carries his weight in the field, I would try to salvage the situation, otherwise you will be upset about it and he'll never know why you folks won't hunt with him. Air it out!

Just my .02

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

The same goes for fishing, at times in the past, someone thought they should get the most meat because they caught the biggest halibut, now I always discuss the night before that all the meat will be split evenly between all on the boat. Everyone agrees or they do not go. plain and simple.

Alright then. I'm putting it out there. You hunt with me, help pack, bring some gear, pay for your share of the fuel, do your share of butchering and pay your share for grinding the burger or making sausage and you'll get your share. No matter who does the killing. I'll get my share too. My neighbor will get a few packs, just cause I like him. He's old and has an invalid wife to care for so can't get out to get his own any longer. I think I will ask him to come over during the butchering next time so he can take home a larger share. Pretty sure that would go over good with him.

If we take my vehicle out every time and you sit there mute while I fill up 3 times in a row........
    You don't have any pack boards or other gear in the game besides your weapon.......
    You disappear when we are butchering......
    Don't seem to have any funds when we pay for grinding, sausage making, old fashioned hot dogs.....
    Take your loser buddy out to the area I showed you.....
    Tell anonymous people about the bulls we have been watching.....

Yeah, don't expect much meat to show up in your freezer by chance. It would be a miracle.
    Oh, and don't expect an invite next year.

Depends...I hunt with my best buds and we all know the drill. If it a draw tag for me, I'm footing the bill for it all, the maini target is mine, but they are welcome to take whatever extra they want and that goes both ways. They are happy jsut to be there on those type of hunts as am I. No wif it's a "meat" hunt like deer and such, that's 50/50. But it's all discussed before had so we all know our expectations.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I was in a similar position, however we split the fuel bill and paid for our own food. Took my truck, and my buggy. I took an animal, he missed his and didn't see another one. He had already had a freezer full of meat so he said thats fine you can keep all your meat. Then after he got home, he texted me asking for his share of the fuel money back. I wasn't sure how to take it, i'm pretty sure it was coming from his wife. I told him that he has a fair chance to shoot one an missed. Also that if he wanted half the meat he would owe me addition money as I spent a little more on fuel than he did.

doesn't matter to me who the "trigger man" is in our group. we split everything, fuel, food, costs, etc. even. Same goes for the meat. the man behind the trigger gets the headgear. otherwise it is split evenly. never even had a conversation about it, just seemed like the right thing to do...
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast