Thread: HIGH WIND WARNING.........Tie-downs and wing-cover assessment time.

Default HIGH WIND WARNING.........Tie-downs and wing-cover assessment time.

A friend once played me the recording of an ATIS in Minneapolis that was obviously made up that had the winds at something like 45 gusting to 80 and concluded with the comment "dead cows and mobile homes on all runways"
    I have my planes tied down on our lake out in the valley and they're sheltered from the wind really well. Got room for more if anyone wants to park theirs here for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    A friend once played me the recording of an ATIS in Minneapolis that was obviously made up that had the winds at something like 45 gusting to 80 and concluded with the comment "dead cows and mobile homes on all runways"
    I have my planes tied down on our lake out in the valley and they're sheltered from the wind really well. Got room for more if anyone wants to park theirs here for awhile.
    You're a thoughtful gentleman. I hope someone reads your post and takes advantage of your kindness . . .

Mort

Thanks Mort, good to hear from you. Hope all is well.
    Mike

Looks like high winds all week, luckily at least for this first storm there was a north wind that cancelled out the Turnagain/Hillside winds at Merrill. Usually the case, but good week to keep an eye on things.

YEP.........

http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/l/USAK0012:1:US?phenomena=HW&significance=A&areaid=A KZ101&office=PAFC&etn=0011&tid=288572

http://www.adn.com/article/20151228/high-winds-buffet-southcentral-alaska-move-interior

Quote Originally Posted by BQuad View Post
    Looks like high winds all week,.

Batten down the hatches, new NOAA forecast calling for gusts 40-50 in town, 70-90 on the Hillside for during the day Wednesday.

So far staying pretty calm at Merrill occasional gusts to 20, diminishing today.

... High wind warning now in effect from 9 pm this evening to noon akst wednesday along turnagain arm and higher elevations... ... High wind warning now in effect from 9 pm this evening to noon akst wednesday for east anchorage and the lower hillside...
    * location... Turnagain arm and higher elevations and east anchorage and the lower hillside.
    * wind... Southeast 70 to 90 mph with gusts to 100 mph for turnagain arm and higher elevations. East wind 50 to 70 mph for east anchorage and the lower hillside.

Sounds like fun, I thought this stuff was no big deal and everyone is happy. Me thinks people are lying to themselves. Also what action do you take if your eye is on it and something happens?

I'm sure you are snug in your hangar, can't argue that it's not a good week to have one. There's a difference between lying to yourself and making a decision to enjoy what you can afford and deal with the consequences and extra work involved.

Do planes get damaged in wind storms? Yes. Are big wind storms common enough to require a hangar? No, if they were you wouldn't be able to insure a plane in a tie down spot. Maybe I'm naive and will quit flying after my plane gets trashed because I can't afford a hangar.

Wind storms that actually rip out tie down hooks and trash planes are really uncommon, the bigger issue is the airframe being subjected these winds year after year after year as well as the snow load on the wings and the corrosion that you dont find on annuals and a lesser concern of sun fading the paint. It just tatters your plane and can cause mx issues that you dont find.

Maybe a folding wing design is the answer, that way you can truck your plane to the airport, go fly then put it in the garage, kind of like WW2 carrier planes. I wonder how hard it would be to make such modifications?

I'm sure you are snug in your hangar, can't argue that it's not a good week to have one. There's a difference between lying to yourself and making a decision to enjoy what you can afford and deal with the consequences and extra work involved.

Do planes get damaged in wind storms? Yes. Are big wind storms common enough to require a hangar? No, if they were you wouldn't be able to insure a plane in a tie down spot. Maybe I'm naive and will quit flying after my plane gets trashed because I can't afford a hangar.

Don't know where you're from rppearso, but I'm guessin' it's in town.......

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    Wind storms that actually rip out tie down hooks and trash planes are really uncommon, the bigger issue is the airframe being subjected these winds year after year after year as well as the snow load on the wings and the corrosion that you dont find on annuals and a lesser concern of sun fading the paint. It just tatters your plane and can cause mx issues that you dont find.

Maybe a folding wing design is the answer, that way you can truck your plane to the airport, go fly then put it in the garage, kind of like WW2 carrier planes. I wonder how hard it would be to make such modifications?

So I swung by the plane after work today, I'm parked at W, peak gusts only got to about 30mph there, so not much to worry about, I had moved my plane in it's tie down spot so it faced East instead of Northwest, only saw one other plane that had been tied down facing East, which suprised me given the high wind forecast. Have mesh covers with lift spoilers, rudder gust lock, stick bungee'd with elevator down. Seemed to be fine.

Only damage I saw was possible flap damage to a Super Cub with no flaps, right flap was slamming up and down yesterday when I was retying my plane, and the porta potty by Ace-Fuel was blown over.

rrspearo, I know Kitfox has quick folding wings, not sure what other opions there are, that does seem to be a great solution, get an enclosed trailer and wheel it in after you fly, add a heater to the enclosed trailer if you want.

Couple youtubes of folding wings and trailers, pretty slick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9YkJQ-13J8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pps3_olp0xs

I think you can fold the wings on a Highlander. But maybe not with bush wheels? Seems like I heard the fuel vents at that AOA leaked when full?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I was lucky last night, while the wind was doing the ABOVE PHOTO to other planes, a couple of my tie-down anchor cable sheared off right at ground level. When I arrived one wing ( and one landing gear) was two feet higher in the air than the other side. Somehow or another I had no damage. Thank God. he must have sent Mudhole Smith and a couple other aviators down here to hold the wing struts.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

LOL is that you Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Genna-AK View Post
    Don't know where you're from rppearso, but I'm guessin' it's in town.......

I thought about that, I dont think Merril will let you just keep a trailer sitting there at a tie down indefinitly. But if you could swing the wings up and get an enclosed trailer wiht an open top you could leave it tied down in the summer and bring it home during these times. I just dont see the sense it letting a plane get beat up. I have thought about it with my plane but my wings are significantly more complicated to take apart.

Just seems like if they could do it in WW2 I dont see why we could not do it now.

So I swung by the plane after work today, I'm parked at W, peak gusts only got to about 30mph there, so not much to worry about, I had moved my plane in it's tie down spot so it faced East instead of Northwest, only saw one other plane that had been tied down facing East, which suprised me given the high wind forecast. Have mesh covers with lift spoilers, rudder gust lock, stick bungee'd with elevator down. Seemed to be fine.

Only damage I saw was possible flap damage to a Super Cub with no flaps, right flap was slamming up and down yesterday when I was retying my plane, and the porta potty by Ace-Fuel was blown over.

rrspearo, I know Kitfox has quick folding wings, not sure what other opions there are, that does seem to be a great solution, get an enclosed trailer and wheel it in after you fly, add a heater to the enclosed trailer if you want.