Thread: Picked up a Remington 722

Default Picked up a Remington 722

In .222 Remington of course. It needed some attention that it has since gotten. Has a cool time period fixed power adjustable objective scope on it. Can't find a name. Coyotes beware.
    I also have at home another 722 that was bought from a seal hunter who used it in Prince William Sound. It's rusty but shoots, although about half the bullets keyhole at 100 yards. Still pretty close though. That one has an old Weaver on it and a hand made sling with very interesting knots. Should probably be in a museum.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

One of my coyote hunting buddies bought a like new 722 last fall for his son to use. I went to the auction when the original owner's wife had estate sale. I went with the intention of buying that triple deuce. How do you bid against a friend buying his 13 year old his first varmint gun......you don't.

The father asked me how hard it would be to rechamber it to a 223. I said don't you dare(in a nice way). I loaded up a bunch of 222s with 19 grains of IMR4198 and 50 grain V-Maxes. That young man killed his first coyote a few weeks ago with that rifle. I told him to keep track of each kill in a log book because one day he will want to know.

Sweet gun! I cut my youthful ground squirrel/rockchuck teeth on one, and I've forever regretted letting it go. Good for you EKC in heading off the rechamber. Back in the day, a whole lot of them fell under the 222 Mag and 223 bus. More's the pity.

I was lucky enough to get one of the Ruger Ranch rifles in .222, only made for 1 year. It is still on the rack, brand new, never been shot. I have to many others to shoot to get it dirty. Gerberman

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    In .222 Remington of course. It needed some attention that it has since gotten. Has a cool time period fixed power adjustable objective scope on it. Can't find a name. Coyotes beware.
    I also have at home another 722 that was bought from a seal hunter who used it in Prince William Sound. It's rusty but shoots, although about half the bullets keyhole at 100 yards. Still pretty close though. That one has an old Weaver on it and a hand made sling with very interesting knots. Should probably be in a museum.
    Ross, you have mentioned this seal hunting rifle before. I would love to see a picture of it.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Ross, you have mentioned this seal hunting rifle before. I would love to see a picture of it.

I'll work on that. I also own a Winchester 1886 in .45-70 that was used to kill Beluga whales. I have a letter from the owner stating such right down to dates and places. The '86 is in fantastic condition though. It wasn't out in the slat water, but used in the lower river.

Way rather see the '86. That's my Unicorn!

I'd like to see both. My advice: put a kid on any digital task and it's done in a jiffy.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I'd like to see both. My advice: put a kid on any digital task and it's done in a jiffy.
    I can do it myself. Just don't have a smart phone, so I take pics with my camera and download them to the computer.