Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yentna report?

Default Yentna report?

Thinking about making a trip up to the cabin this weekend, how are the Su and Yentna River conditions?

The trails are all good. The snow gets better from Dave Luce's old place up. I rode both GCI and Su trails both are in very good shape. Where there are open leads the trail stays way clear of them.

We were the first outsiders to make the run from Skwetna to Tal Vista. We did use the Tal View trail to get to Tal Vista as we heard the Tal River still had issues last week. We did find a bit of open water coming back out onto the Skwetna river from the big swamp but only about 8 to 10 inches inches deep. When we went over to Tal no one had broke in the trail to Onestone yet from that side. Was planning to make to make that ride today but my riding partner backed out on me.....Last note is that if you swamp ride they are pretty bumpy as alot of the snow settled and with no new snow or wind to level things out it can get a little rough.

On Edit: Almost forgot.....Yetna Station has a big open lead across the front the big bar, so be aware of where the trail is. Last thing is Dan has put in two runways this year. Please be mindful of those and anyone else that has runways set.

Trail was good, went on a daytrip christmas eve to lake creek. The leads didn't freeze up with the cold weather, must just be the fast water. But as said above the trail is away from them, just be mindful when off exploring there was a small open lead the size of a sheet of plywood just a mile below the top of kroto right inside a blind corner I came flying around thinking the whole slough was bone dry but nope.

I will give you an interesting fact that I have learned traveling the Su/Yetna rivers for the last 18 years. First thing is just because it is cold out, even when it's really cold out, the river does not necessarily freeze solid. Many times we need a good snow, with some wind and cold combined to get the river to close up completely. The second thing is if you encounter a fog layer on the river you most likely are very close to open lead, especially at night. Which then leads to the third thing....that fog layer actually keeps the cold air off the water not allowing it to freeze.

There was one winter not to long ago that river travel was horrible because of fog. There was open water and overflow everywhere. I remember meeting two gentleman in that fog and they told me how they were going to Dehska Landing. When I told them they were on the Yentna they said no that we were no where near the Yentna. They had some how made a complete loop and never knew it. When I showed them where Scarey Tree was they didn't understand either how they came about.

Be careful out there.......

I never ride Kroto with rookies because you never know what may find. I do like going that way because most avoid it.

I know the river doesn't freeze solid, I've been out there my whole life since I can remember, it was a dry slough for the most part with a deep area at the meet point of another slough which was also very shallow. And dealing with lost people due to weather, we came across a group hunting the gci trail for the 16b tier II hunt once, they got looped around due to back visibility and poor knowledge of where stuff is at.

GCI trail is not in 16B, hope they weren't hunting there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were hunting there, they didnt know they were lost. Told them they were a good 10 miles from 16b, they said Oh Sh@t.

W went out for a day ride this last weekend and the river was excellent. Smooth and fast, best we have ever seen it. The Su was in good running shape until about the Deshka and from there to the landing it was pretty bumpy. The swamps were just absolutely horrible, definitely need more snow

It's not looking to good out for the upcoming weekend!

As of yesterday afternoon the Yentna and Su were showing a lot of water from the melting and rain on the trails , melting down enough that a lot of the trail markers were falling down.Will be real bad by the weekend. Every one be careful and be safe.

I'm glad I'm not dependent on the river anymore! Be safe out there guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    As of yesterday afternoon the Yentna and Su were showing a lot of water from the melting and rain on the trails , melting down enough that a lot of the trail markers were falling down.Will be real bad by the weekend. Every one be careful and be safe.
    Yep, thats about right i came downstream yesterday.Never seen so many ducks this time of year? they seem to be all over.Flocks flying and bunch singles just sitting out on the ice.

DSCN6741.jpgAttachment 87902Heres a picture of one. Can't figure out what kind it is?They just sit there? Mr. Eagle got couple of them today

I believe those are the birds that have been misplaced/blown up here from the hurricane force winds on the chain last week. There are posts on several of the local Faceboom groups asking for people to try and catch the birds and hand them over to the bird rescue groups so they can be taken back to their native areas. Houston bird rescue is taking them in.....

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    I believe those are the birds that have been misplaced/blown up here from the hurricane force winds on the chain last week. There are posts on several of the local Faceboom groups asking for people to try and catch the birds and hand them over to the bird rescue groups so they can be taken back to their native areas. Houston bird rescue is taking them in.....
    TMS Thanks for the reply and answer

I think it is a Common Murres. The bird rescues have had up to 30 at a time being brought in. They cant survive inland.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Update: from todays running, all that water and melting froze last night made trail ice and hard as a rock.Still bumpy between Deshka and the landing. As for the ducks many didn't make it, lots of dead all along the trail. Saved a few and dropped them off at the Bird place in Big Lake.

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Trails are all in great shape now, bumpy out past the Deshka but that is pretty normal. The main trail fell in completely about where all the main Susitna river channels come together, but a work around was quickly established, staked and groomed so it's no big deal. Trail is about as fast and smooth as I've ever seen it. Main track is icy and it's all hard pack, but we went clear to Tal Vista last Saturday with 2 light freight sleds in 5 hours.

Overland to Tal put in yet?

A couple inches of snow fell on Saturday, helping the ride out a little. There are a few open cracks resulting from the earthquake but are not causing a problem at the moment, other than that, a few new ledges popped up. The Yentna definitely shows more of an after effect from the earthquake than the Su, but overall no worries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast