Thread: Shark fishing

Default Shark fishing

If I was to purchase a couple of shark rods/reels for salmon sharks, what reels would you recommend? Penn, Shimano, what size or models? We hooked a couple last summer out off Montague and they cleaned our clocks, we're going to get prepared this winter.
    Is a 2 speed reel a better option than a single speed?
    Thanks for your help.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Rav'n Mainiac View Post
    If I was to purchase a couple of shark rods/reels for salmon sharks, what reels would you recommend? Penn, Shimano, what size or models? We hooked a couple last summer out off Montague and they cleaned our clocks, we're going to get prepared this winter.
    Thanks for your help.
    We put a lot of sharks to my boat, I have a full set of Penn International 50 wide VSW reels matched up to G-Loomis Halibut addition rods, I can put 500 yards of 150lb braid on them, and we still have almost been spooled by big females. Typically the males will stay on top water and jump around and a big female will wanna just take you out to sea and mostly stays deep acting like a monster halibut fight.. Make sure you are using signal strand wire as they will chew right threw cable, I can send you a pic of our full leader set up if you like, Good Luck! It's by far the best salt game fish we have up here in my opinion. I have another salmon shark charter on the 27th of this month

Thanks for the tips and information, we're buying them this weekend, so we'll be ready for the Feb/March p-cod/shark season, we'll be seeing you Jan 16,17 for more salmon training also! Fair winds and following seas.

Default misc. shark info

Hard to beat leaders from this guy -http://www.bhptackle.com/home.php?cat=3. A skilled fisherman can land a lot on a 30 class reel, but when targeting sharks, I would use International 50s with 150-200lb line and a Bimini Twist or Spider Hitch (to double the last 20' of line), to an offshore loop, to a heavy wind on mono leader. Cable or wire is a bit tougher than the mono, but I found that it can do damage to sharks if you want to release them or to those that get loose. With the mono, you can get away with just a couple of feet of wire or cable with a single circle hook. Usually, the hook will be in the corner of the mouth and you can reach over and clip the wire close. Keep the pressure on and maneuver the boat well, or they will roll up the leader and tangle and/or break off.

That's what worked for many, many sharks back when there were a lot of them in PWS. We still see one here and there, but not like they were. I rarely target sharks anymore, but still have a strong interest in them. PM if you want to talk more. Happy to help.

Rav'n ~ being the OP you asked about reels so i'll start there. I'm thrifty (not cheap ) and use my butt gear which is a Penn 321. My buddy the boat captain spent the money and bought an Avet Pro EX 50/2. Our third regular crew, his cousin, brings a halibut set-up like mine...before i forget on our first shark targeted trip i helped my buddy put line on his new Avet and respooled my reel as well with 100# power pro. Uncle Jer didn't...

Not to turn this into a horror story, but the very first day Jer hooked up on his gear and we buckled him into the fighting harness the worst happened. He had some kind of backlash or something and the reel froze letting the shark pull him across the deck to the stern rail...if i didn't grab his belt he would have gone overboard. I sure don't wanna sound like an old grandma, but be careful!!!

To be positive i agree with Nemo...they are the hardest fighting fish in Alaska. And i still have a strong interest in them like offshore, but as he said they haven't been around in PWS like the old days. To reply to this thread i reviewed some old media to post what reel my buddy bought. In a 5 minute video of him fighting one i counted over 1/2 a dozen others jumping out of the water. Last time we made the long haul was 2008 and we didn't see or catch any. BTW none of our sharking was done near Montague.

Lastly if you want to keep one, as soon as you get it, bleed and clean it. I did just that on a small male the last day of an early trip and it was pretty good. I'm not gonna say it tastes like chicken but with some BBQ sauce it was kinda like pork chops.

Maybe with El Nino they ( the sharks ) will be back. I recall in the heyday the ADN had a front page story of 4 guys in yaks each with a shark over the bow. Those are the #'s that get me excited, as i can't ever recall mid-day telling my buddies i need to rest a while before i try and land another one of those beasts!!!

Tip ~ bring balloons. When you see them surfacing, fish up top. Watch your fish finder. Especially when it's sunny and mid-day, they usually go deeper...

Thanks for the responses, we've had a bunch of opportunities for salmon sharks fishing out of Homer and Seward, last summer on our halibut gear, Shimano TLD 20A, 80 lb power pro with 400 lb mono leaders it went exactly as Josh had said. Two hook-ups both stayed deep and just went away, I didn't pull the hook, and follow them, my error, however it was very obvious that we didn't have anywhere enough line or drag. One of the fish cut the mono after about 10 minutes, the other came unbuttoned. Big fish are big fun!
    We plan to spend a bit more time targeting them this year, hopefully with better results.

One thing I would recommend if you want to seriously pursue them, is go with a machined, metal body reel. Like the Penn International or Shimano tiagra. I was watching an episode of shark hunter or some such, about tournament fishing for big sharks with a 50k grand prize. One angler's reel came apart during a fight; it was the low end die cast shimano. He ranted and raved about what a crap company Shimano was, and I just had to laugh. Driving a 100k plus fishing boat, ultra expensive gear everywhere else, and buy the cheapest reel Shimano makes, then be ticked off because it isn't as good as the high end reel. Heck, his alcohol bill for the week was probably bigger than the difference in cost between top shelf and low end reel. For what it is, the low end shimano is a good reel; something you can buy to take out and use a few days each year without breaking the bank. For putting the heat to it day after day, for several months a year, fighting some of the hardest fighting gamefish on the planet, go with something designed for it that can handle the beating.

Thanks for the responses, we've had a bunch of opportunities for salmon sharks fishing out of Homer and Seward, last summer on our halibut gear, Shimano TLD 20A, 80 lb power pro with 400 lb mono leaders it went exactly as Josh had said. Two hook-ups both stayed deep and just went away, I didn't pull the hook, and follow them, my error, however it was very obvious that we didn't have anywhere enough line or drag. One of the fish cut the mono after about 10 minutes, the other came unbuttoned. Big fish are big fun!
    We plan to spend a bit more time targeting them this year, hopefully with better results.
    You will likely not have time to pull the anchor if you hook up with a big one; shark or halibut. Set up your ground tackle with a float so you can drop off the anchor quickly.

Big_E

Do you really think the warm water from El nino will bring more in? I know people are starting to catch amberjack down in Southeast, but does this mean more sharks? I saw one last year out fishing silvers in PWS, I was driving full speed and when I saw him i stopped. Then about 30 seconds later saw him again about 40 yds from my boat, what should I have done? Do you keep one of these massive rigs rigged up with big tackle, steel leader, and have a whole pink standing by? How do you get them once spotted? Or do you go, chum and wait......

Joe

Question for the guys that know how. We're anchored in 140-150 feet of water with 450' of rode using a lee-mar pro fish windlass, how would you handle dumping everything? We have a bouy already threaded onto the rode and sitting on the deck, should i use a separate anchor line for ground tackle in this situation? We are gearing up with Penn International 50 VSWs, Shimano Tiagra 50 WLSRAs, appropriate rods, lines, leaders, and reading everything we can find.
    We been able to land butts up to 200-250 without moving and have released several that were at least as big, but these large female sharks are a whole new game.
    Thanks for any help available.

Charterboat Operator

Question for the guys that know how. We're anchored in 140-150 feet of water with 450' of rode using a lee-mar pro fish windlass, how would you handle dumping everything? We have a bouy already threaded onto the rode and sitting on the deck, should i use a separate anchor line for ground tackle in this situation? We are gearing up with Penn International 50 VSWs, Shimano Tiagra 50 WLSRAs, appropriate rods, lines, leaders, and reading everything we can find.
    We been able to land butts up to 200-250 without moving and have released several that were at least as big, but these large female sharks are a whole new game
    Thanks for any help available.
    Once your anchored and holding kleet it off and pull the rest of the line off the drum, coil it up and put a zip tie or something around it to hold it, leave an extra fathom or so behind the kleeted off line to make a loop and put your buoy on. all so you should have a few fathoms of floating line and a loop to hang off you buoy so when your pulling back up to it it is easy o retrieve. Once the shark takes the bait start the boat, run up to the bow, un kleet anchor and boot over the buoy line and whole works and get ready for battle!!

Charterboat Operator

IMG_3902[1].jpgIMG_3906[1].jpg
    Thanks for your help.
    The reels we use are in just about every shark photo over the years! Here are just a few different sharks from different times of the year, in the photos will be ether our 50 or 70 wide internationals.. enjoy

Charterboat Operator

IMG_3904[1].JPGIMG_3905[1].jpgJust a couple more pics showing off the internationals, That big female im dragging off my stern I cranked in spooled up with 300lb mono on a 70 wide, but I thought when it was all said and done I didn't like the stretch, Ive been using 150lb power pro mostly and it works great if they don't wrap up Good luck and have fun

Got it, thanks. Great pictures too. Did you get out on the 27th shark trip?

Charterboat Operator

Got it, thanks. Great pictures too. Did you get out on the 27th shark trip?
    We did but ended up being a salmon trip, I had my wires crossed, next shark trip 27 Jan👍🏻

Thanks again, you're the best. We'll be ready until the bite, then the rodeo will start and all the learning and training will be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    We did but ended up being a salmon trip, I had my wires crossed, next shark trip 27 Jan👍🏻
    Are you chartering for shark? Where can I get info if you are?

Living like kings

Josh Brooks
    Brooks Alaskan Adventures 907-226-2233
    I have fished with him a bunch of times, he's as fishy as they get!

Absolutely Capt Josh and the Huntress!!!! I have the opportunity to deckhand for him from time to time and can tell ya I've seen him pull off miracles.
    He sticks it out when others will bag it; for example, last winter we had 6 folks on board for a king trip; we started at the head of the bay (28 mile round trip) and nada there. Ran all the way to the bluffs, nothing, green can, zip. Seldovia, empty. By that time the clients were lookin a little cross eyed especially with us yakkin about how the fishing had been (shoulda seen it yesterday!!!) and it was 3:15pm. Sooooo he says, "okay we got one last card, other side of Pogi slack tide" so there we went. Nothing for a few minutes then bam! 3:40pm, 12 kings in 40 minites. I'll never forget that trip. Not every time you strike it rich and running that many miles doesn't make for a highly profitable trip but it paid off that day.
    Also the Huntress is a badass fishy boat; not all boats are "fishy"!
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978