Thread: Looking to try a 10mm Glock

Default Looking to try a 10mm Glock

I have a friend (female) that is making noise about buying a 10mm. I would like for her to be able to shoot one before she lays out the cash for one. I've considered getting one myself, so if anyone has one for sale, that might be a path for her to try it.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Where are you located?
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Kenai/Nikiski
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

If you would get down my way we might be able to pop a few caps.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Hope your friend has extra large hands for a female.

The early Glock 20 had a handle that felt like a 2x4 unless you had large man-hands. The later Glock 20 SF (slim frame) and even the latest Gen-4 Glock 20 are only slightly smaller. The sub-compact Glock 29, 29 SF, & Gen-4 29, all have grips with the same cross-sectional dimensions as the full sized 10mm models, but, are just shorter top-to-bottom. And Glock never made a single-stack 10mm sub-compact model as a stable-mate for the Glock 36 in .45acp.

So, a lot of women (and men) who want a 10mm pistol, but can't quite get their hands around any of the 10mm Glocks, choose a gun built on a single-stack 1911 frame instead.

The newest Gen-4 Glock 40 (model #, not caliber) MOS in 10mm, with it's 6" barrel/slide and red-dot optic cut-out, is an awesome semi-auto pistol for outdoor use. But alas, it's still pretty chubby to hold. When wearing gloves, everything seems even bigger, because of the added material between your hand and the gun.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    Hope your friend has extra large hands for a female.

The early Glock 20 had a handle that felt like a 2x4 unless you had large man-hands. The later Glock 20 SF (slim frame) and even the latest Gen-4 Glock 20 are only slightly smaller. The sub-compact Glock 29, 29 SF, & Gen-4 29, all have grips with the same cross-sectional dimensions as the full sized 10mm models, but, are just shorter top-to-bottom. And Glock never made a single-stack 10mm sub-compact model as a stable-mate for the Glock 36 in .45acp.

So, a lot of women (and men) who want a 10mm pistol, but can't quite get their hands around any of the 10mm Glocks, choose a gun built on a single-stack 1911 frame instead.

The newest Gen-4 Glock 40 (model #, not caliber) MOS in 10mm, with it's 6" barrel/slide and red-dot optic cut-out, is an awesome semi-auto pistol for outdoor use. But alas, it's still pretty chubby to hold. When wearing gloves, everything seems even bigger, because of the added material between your hand and the gun.
    I owned a Gen3 G20 and my hands aren't really that small, but I still had a hard time making that gun feel comfortable in my hands. My friend had a Gen4 and a SF and the difference was noticeable to me. Of course it could be that the Gen4 and the SF are the maximum size for me to feel comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    I owned a Gen3 G20 and my hands aren't really that small, but I still had a hard time making that gun feel comfortable in my hands. My friend had a Gen4 and a SF and the difference was noticeable to me. Of course it could be that the Gen4 and the SF are the maximum size for me to feel comfortable.
    I have a G20 SF and medium-sized hands for a woman, and it's a little bit of a stretch but it's not bad at all. Haven't tried the G29, though.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    I have a G20 SF and medium-sized hands for a woman, and it's a little bit of a stretch but it's not bad at all. Haven't tried the G29, though.
    I haven't held a 29 either but I didn't like how the 36 was shorter than my hands so I figured the 29 would have been the same way.
    Since you are a lady did you notice a big difference between the SF and regular frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    I haven't held a 29 either but I didn't like how the 36 was shorter than my hands so I figured the 29 would have been the same way.
    Since you are a lady did you notice a big difference between the SF and regular frame?
    I thought the regular frame was just a bit too large, and I think my hands really are about average-sized for a woman. I'm thinking of picking up a 29 - I recently bought a 43 and it's a fun little gun, and very comfortable to shoot, although I can see where it would annoy someone with larger hands (the short stack). But I like it enough to think about the smaller 10mm.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    I thought the regular frame was just a bit too large, and I think my hands really are about average-sized for a woman. I'm thinking of picking up a 29 - I recently bought a 43 and it's a fun little gun, and very comfortable to shoot, although I can see where it would annoy someone with larger hands (the short stack). But I like it enough to think about the smaller 10mm.
    My hands are kind of large, I wear XL gloves, though a large kind of fits, and I love the 43. Best little carry gun I've ever had, but part of that is that my hands just engulf it. Most accurate pistol I have ever shot.