Thread: Checking foot traps.

Default Checking foot traps.

Still trying for coyotes. I've been checking every day. I'm starting to think every day is too much. I only have a couple of traps I can see from a distance. I don't want to walk around my traps every day, but I also don't want to leave a critter in a foot trap for too long. The last thing I want is to have a coyote chew his foot off because he has been in the trap too long. What do you guys recommend for an appropriate soak time while being an ethical trapper?

You diffently want to stay away from your K9 sets as much as possible unless it's to re set or "juice" up. Most trappers, either road or remote check their lines every week. Bigger animals, like lynx and K9's actually become mellow after being caught if not disturbed and will be there waiting for you. Smaller animals like marten and mink you run the risk of vole or bird damage so you try to making leaning pole sets or try to check more often. If weather isn't messing with your coyote sets and you can check them from a distance, just let them soak and be patient!

I don't want to come across as a butthead, but I've been trapping fox and yotes for 40yrs and have never seen on "chew their leg off". That is a lot of propaganda that anti trappers love to use. If you want to discuss this further pm me.

I run my footholds every 2-5 days weather depending. I have the means to do that and is what I personally feel comfortable with. If you are concerned about foot damage I recommend researching traps that are offset and laminated. I run Montana #3 Specials for extended checks, awesome yote trap!

Quote Originally Posted by HFT_AK View Post
    I don't want to come across as a butthead, but I've been trapping fox and yotes for 40yrs and have never seen on "chew their leg off". That is a lot of propaganda that anti trappers love to use. If you want to discuss this further pm me.

I run my footholds every 2-5 days weather depending. I have the means to do that and is what I personally feel comfortable with. If you are concerned about foot damage I recommend researching traps that are offset and laminated. I run Montana #3 Specials for extended checks, awesome yote trap!

Got to agree - all animals, when the trap snaps shut on a foot, lunge to escape. The lunge is interrupted by the chain and turns into the animal fighting the chain/trap. This often results in the small bones (where the trap jaws hold) being broken. If the animal continues to struggle, the skin is torn and ligaments and muscle are also torn. A lunge at that time will result in a mangled foot being left in the trap, looking (to the uninformed) like the animal "chewed its foot off" to escape. If you're trapping with a staked trap, go with as short a chain as you can. If using a drag, a longer chain will work better to tangle the animal in brush, quicker.

Thanks you the info. I'm just getting into trapping and starting off slow. I've got out 8 traps now and think the chains are 12". I was thinking the same time frame of 2-5 days between checks, depending on weather & schedule. It's not an easy year to learn how to trap in my neck of the woods. Snow, rain, freeze, snow, rain, freeze. Old Man Winter needs to makeup his dam mind.

Using traps with offset jaws will help a lot when it comes to loss due to damaged bones and hide. We have to run ours in IL once every day. Like Steve said stay away as far as is reasonable, use binocs if you need too and yes, be patient! Foxes tolerate some tinkering with sets but coyotes are much different. Wear rubber boots too if possible - I keep a set in my truck never wearing them in the house or garage...Good Luck!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....