Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with your "extra" game meat?

Default What do you do with your "extra" game meat?

another question I might ask here is, how many have tenderloin, and backstrap still in the freezer? Shouldn't I be eating that fresh and never letting it get to the freezer?.. WHY SAVE THAT?

And Merry Christmas!!

I just went through my freezer. All my kids are home, and we will barbecue tenderloins tomorrow night!! My kids are growing up, and of 4 I am now down to one at home. We don't go through a moose like we used to... I still have 2014 meat I just found.

I realize completely I can go on a three year getting blanked streak... but I have plenty now, and am trying to decide what to do with the "extra".

I gave my friend that introduced me to moose hunting when I arrived in Ak some.. he's pushing 90, and doesn't hunt anymore, so can't think of a better place to give it than there. The senior center here seems to make good use of Alaskan game.

I have no intention of stopping moose hunting, and also want any game I harvest to be used and appreciated..

Thanks Mike for the forum, I get a lot from this place, and merry Christmas yall...

Just before I went to NY to deer hunt this year I took everything that was left and made it into jerky. Before silver season I took all the left over fillets, ground them up twice, then mixed in Italian flavored bread crumbs and made patties out of them. There is always something to make.
    No waste in this house.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Just before I went to NY to deer hunt this year I took everything that was left and made it into jerky. Before silver season I took all the left over fillets, ground them up twice, then mixed in Italian flavored bread crumbs and made patties out of them. There is always something to make.
    No waste in this house.

I'd be really interested in the jerky recipe.. I know it's simple.. I've just never done it.. that 2014 meat would be kinda perfect for that project..

I don't know if I consider it extra, but sharing some of the bounty is a year to year plan.

I put some tenderloin in the freezer too... come February, a piece of tenderloin staves off the winter blahs.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

i have about three good friends and one family member, with kids who don't hunt or aren't very good at it! lol if i'm blessed with meat in my freezer, my friends/family will have meat in their freezers.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Personally, I try to plan ahead and never bet I will get something the next year. The only time I would consider getting rid of "extra" game meat would be when I have more hanging in the garage ready to be processed. If I were to give some away, family would be the first choice, close friends the 2nd. I don't know if there are any restrictions on other entities accepting game meat, but may be worth double checking ahead of time. I'm sure a lot of people would love to get some if they could.

It seems I always find someone in need when I'm not even looking.

Friends of the family, coworkers with illnesses, heck I even answered a craigslist 'help' ad once from a young couple in need.

I figure it this way... if I get the slightest urge to help, I do it. I'm always afraid if I choose not to help that karma will come back on me with a poor harvest in the future.

Same goes for my garden goodies.

Give give give... and enjoy their smiles when they receive.

I find I have no 'extra'...ever.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Extra game meat????? No, that doesn't happen. I do share some wild game with my elder Native neighbor and a few select others, but it isn't 'extra'. That just sounds like you're taking game you don't want.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

The term "extra game meat" is oxymoronic.

Been lucky with moose hunting the last few years. It's just the two of us, so half a moose and salmon from dip netting is hard to finish each year. I share any of the last year's meat with colleagues or friends. However, I did run into some 2011 meat buried in the freezer. It was still edible, but hard to choose to eat it when we had fresher meat. Used it as jerky training treats for the new puppy. Boy he would mind me well!

I have some from 2012 mixed in with other stuff in the freezer. Got buried in there. Eats just fine.
    My Native Elder left me a message yesterday telling me to come over. He has something for me. Probably some more of his superb smoked salmon. He pays me off with the stuff for clearing his driveway. I will take him a couple packs of moose just because I like him. This years moose.

Make summer sausage, jerky, snack sticks, breakfast sausage and burger with it. It will go a lot faster and you'll wish you had more.

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    but I have plenty now, and am trying to decide what to do with the "extra".
    Well, I have been known to buy another freezer.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I would love to say I have extra game meat, but can't. I am down to 6 packs of burger and just a few caribou steaks. I got skunked caribou hunting this year, and the wife gave quite a bit of last year's caribou away to a co-worker. I do need to eat some salmon though, as the freezer contains a little more of it than I previously thought. I think I may take some time over the next week and smoke some to take to AR with me in February when I go visit family.

I just spoke with a young man who is struggling with food, and other things. When he comes over, he will leave with some moose and salmon.

Stopped by at my Elders house to see what he had for me. Smoked salmon and beer. He's a good neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    I'd be really interested in the jerky recipe.. I know it's simple.. I've just never done it.. that 2014 meat would be kinda perfect for that project..
    Not very elaborate. just Teriki sauce, black pepper and garlic salt. I really don't measure, just guess and like grandmas pies, comes out great.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Share it with family and needy folks. But, lately I have been such a lousy hunter I don't have much to share in the way of "wild game meat". Wife is on me about it and wants more moose meat for stew. Woe is me.....maybe this year.

Share, give, "Gift" them....in local village lingo, "Gift and Give" are same same.......a "present" is a gift for a special time, but sharing meats is a constant
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Extra? I never have enough. And some times I have been known to have two large freezers full of fish and game, and wild berries and mushrooms. I will share with friends who can't get out to get their own, but my favorite way to share is to invite friends for dinner and cook it for them and show them how versatile wild fish and game can be.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast