Thread: Master guide Charged

Default Master guide Charged

Thomas Shankster Master guide got charged today with 8 violations. I read this in the state trooper report.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

About time!!!!

Yet another reason I've never been very keen on non resident guides. Think of what else this clown has done in the 30 years before he got caught....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yet another reason I've never been very keen on non resident guides. Think of what else this clown has done in the 30 years before he got caught....
    Touche.......

Unbelievable. Hopefully he gets the punishment he deserves.

been hearing stories about this guy for years...wheels of justice turn s l o w l y.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

YEP.......more like decades than years.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    been hearing stories about this guy for years...wheels of justice turn s l o w l y.

History shows that is NOT very likely...........some punishment....YES, what deserves........I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by akfish716 View Post
    Unbelievable. Hopefully he gets the punishment he deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ...wheels of justice turn s l o w l y.
    True that...but they never STOP.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

This is the best news I've heard all day. Needed to bust him long ago. The bad thing is even if he looses his license, one of his cronies will just take over the operation. But for know we can all hope the don't cut him any slack and drop the hammer on him.

Quote Originally Posted by brio View Post
    Thanks for the link Brio. I left a comment there concerning my feelings on the whole matter.

"Critter, just saw this thread linked from a thread on the Alaska outdoor Forums. A couple comments and questions for you.

First comment...... Glad this guide got busted and hopefully put out of business forever. There are too many people who see game animals as nothing more than a pile of money and nothing else matters.

Second comment...... By showing your proof on this thread ie photos of forms, it was easy to ascertain your name, address, phone #, e-mail address, checking account number, and where you hunted. Not info I would want floating around the internet. Your signature is also there for anyone wanting to forge it.

Now a couple questions....

First, on the check receipt you posted, I notice on the date that the year was changed from either 2014 to 2015 or from 2015 to 2014. Probably an accident but it wasn't initialed as most banks require. Is there a reason for this?

Also in the memo, the word "advertising" is there along with "Moose hunt, Tom Shankster". What is that about? Was this hunt something you were going to write off on taxes somehow? Or did you have some agreement with Tom concerning advertising?

And finally I noticed on the transfer of possession forms that were signed, that on Harold's form the box indicating "recipient to retain permanent possession of meat and/or other game parts" was marked with an x and on your form the same box was marked and the word "meat" was written in, and the box stating "recipient to transport then return possession to hunter" was also checked with the words "cape/horns" written in. Care to comment? To me, this indicates neither of you hunters cared about the meat other than to have the letter of the law followed so nothing came back on you. This is a common practice in Alaska for trophy hunters to be able to get what they want, the rack, and not have to deal with the meat. The meat is signed over to guides who "donate" it, but a lot of it goes to waste. I've heard all kinds of stories about these kind of abuses. Trailers and pallets full of rotting meat sitting around waiting for someone to collect them in villages all over Alaska. Here's a hint. Those villagers don't want that rotten meat any more than you or the guide does. The main thing those kinds of transfers accomplish is the, trophy hunters get what they want, a rack and maybe a cape, and they get to tell people how they graciously donated their meat to the poor local natives. makes them look mighty benevolent! I guess it's something to ease the conscience. Once the meat is in the guide or transporters' hands, it's "out of sight and out of mind" and on to the next trophy. This is probably the most abused rule in Alaska.

Oh, I'm curious why Harold didn't also check the box indicating he was getting his antlers back too? Did he take them with him when he left?

Anyway, thanks for your part in bringing this scumbag guide down. But as far as the waste goes, I'm not letting you completely off the hook as the practice you engaged in is responsible for tons of meat going to waste in Alaska every year. "
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

It's amazing how much evidence is needed to get one of these things to stick. Isn't this the guide that was written up on the other forum many of us were following here? Where he failed to get(FLY OUT) two moose from out of state hunters?? There were some details the hunters boned the meat the first day that sped the decay?..

Anyway.. nice to see some action.. there is another out of state guide, similar name.. lots of violations. Support Alaska... make it tougher to guide/hunt plan from out of state please!!

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    Thanks for the link Brio. I left a comment there concerning my feelings on the whole matter.
    ...Which was followed by numerous opinions substituting for thought, rather than being the result of it. But you'll have that.

And no answers to your questions...?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post

Also in the memo, the word "advertising" is there along with "Moose hunt, Tom Shankster". What is that about? Was this hunt something you were going to write off on taxes somehow? Or did you have some agreement with Tom concerning advertising?
    This question was already answered in the thread...

Threads like this one are what got me to start the thread I got hammered for.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.