Thread: Homer Spit and Fishin' Hole

Default Homer Spit and Fishin' Hole

When does the fishing pick up in the Fishin hole and from shore on the spit? Anything I can fly cast to?

Quote Originally Posted by smousefam5 View Post
    When does the fishing pick up in the Fishin hole and from shore on the spit? Anything I can fly cast to?
    For general timing you can look at https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/Fishi...=8&RecordID=26

Though you are fishing in a gavel pit, the kings in the Nick Dudiak Lagoon are easily within casting range. Ok, its not scenic Alaska but they are kings and fight like one! Just watch out for the people especially kids if you are fishing the weekends. Fish the incoming tide as the water enters the lagoon. Starts around Mid May and peaks in early June if memory serves me correctly. along the spit and especially towards the tip of the spit, You can cast for sea run Dollies. Usually beginning of May. If you just want to feel a tug, about the same time off the end of the spit, you should be able to catch pollock, yellowfin sole, and Irish lords. WHIle not great fighters or eating fish (for most folks) its good casting target practice.