Thread: total noob in AK

Default total noob in AK

hi,
    if i was to move to ak, what snowmachine would be best - in general for the average person? and about how much do they cost up there? new/used
    and is there any little extras i should add to it?....i know its one of those questions that cant be answered with one name/model ..also im a big guy,
    6'2 270 pounds would that matter much?...
    i hope its not a dumb question- i dont know anything about them. well besides if you go fast enough you can skim water! then sink.. or make it across..
    thanks!

What kind of riding are you going to be doing? (mountain, trail, a little of both) That would be the first thing that you have to decide. I don't think that new prices are that much different than the lower 48, but you could probably get a little better deal in the lower 48 before you came up.

a little of both, and i dont want to haul tons of stuff up there from here ( im guessing gas prices would eat up any savings i might get ..selling 90% of stuff and thought about shipping the rest and get a plane..im about 3000 miles from Anchorage..i dont like to drive THAT much... anyway i would buy the big things when i get there.. looking for tips..
    also i will use it to pull some things~ lets say about 700 pounds? ?
    thanks!

Tundra or a widetrack. I still get strange looks when I take my wt to Thompson pass to play. I have a Ski-doo Expedition TUV 600 SDI. Widetracks weight a lot, but they can get you some incredible places and do a ton of work. I carry a winch on mine and it has already paid for itself. For comfort you can't beat an Expedition widetrack. All new widetracks are going to run $8000 plus. Good used ones are few and far between, but they are out there.

That's my opinion. You have to ask yourself some important questions. What do you want to do? Where do you want to go? What do you need the machine to do for you? How much do you want to invest in your first machine? Do you want a machine that is simple and easy to work on? Or can you get away with fuel injection or maybe a four stroke?

i would like it to be easy to work on, besides that i dont know yet. not sure where im moving to..
    what part do you replace the most?

A fan cooled machine will typically be easier to work on. Most trappers and secluded folks have fan cooled engines. Plus if you need to use it on icy trails, late into the spring, or on minimal snow pack it will always keep the engine cool versus a liquid cooled engine which requires you to be moving to keep cool (except for a couple newer four strokes). I don't know if you would call it a part, but I can never keep the tank full of go juice. And it's expensive too!

Default thanks

i didnt google it yet, but thought i would throw a Q out there and see what i get....
    thanks!