Thread: Pair this reel with a rod

Default Pair this reel with a rod

I'm looking at getting a Fin Nor LT100 for halibut fishing this coming season. I want to start with just one is year, to be used by kids and women, and those new to halibut fishing who don't have the wrist strength to handle a larger Penn-type conventional reel. I've heard that for smaller-handed people the spinning setup is more natural and easier to deal with. I'm looking for a shorter (under 6 ft) rod with a medium action.

Any suggestions? (Knowing you guys, there's a lot of suggestions coming...thanks!)

jim

Okuma Cedros Jig Spinning Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    I'm looking at getting a Fin Nor LT100 for halibut fishing this coming season. I want to start with just one is year, to be used by kids and women, and those new to halibut fishing who don't have the wrist strength to handle a larger Penn-type conventional reel. I've heard that for smaller-handed people the spinning setup is more natural and easier to deal with. I'm looking for a shorter (under 6 ft) rod with a medium action.

Any suggestions? (Knowing you guys, there's a lot of suggestions coming...thanks!)

jim
    I picked up 2 of these jigging rods in conventional style and couldn't believe how sensitive they are. They also have a 5 year warranty. I'm going to get a spinning version this year. I'm opposite of you since I haven't decided on a reel to pair with the rod. Here's a link to the spinning version(s). http://www.basspro.com/Shakespeare-U...duct/10204693/

I have two of these on my boat and played tour guide all summer for my mother (age 67), her mother (age 89) and a few children. They liked them and could handle them well. Also an agreeable price to start off with:

http://www.amazon.com/Okuma-Fishing-.../dp/B00COCLZMO

I have 10 Okuma Cedros now, 4 50-100s, 4 50-160's and 2 200s. Love em, wouldn't think twice about getting one in a spinning outfit if I was going that route.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I have same set up. Wright McGill heavy action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I like the Shimano Saragosa 20000 with a Trevala medium heavy, 44lbs of drag and holds over 400 yards of 80lb braid. I also have an Okuma travel/ breakdown rod that works well with it.
    When I want to go lighter I like the Shimano Stradic6000 with 40lb braid matched up with a Trevala medium.
    Redleader standing by

We tried the short spinning rods and just didn't like them. We use spinning rods a lot for casting back into the kelp and rock piles for king salmon, so longer is certainly better for that. We haven't found any disadvantage for fighting and landing halibut either. We even use them on downriggers, though they're a little heavier than lots of folks use. We opted for the Loomis 9' medium heavies, and we haven't a single regret.

Definitely see the advantage to a long rod if your casting or downrigging, 2 things I don't do with a jigging rod.
    When you want to feel the jig, slightest bump and set the hook fast and hard a shorter rod makes sense.
    with that said I think Santas gonna bring me a new 9' loomis for a late present lol.
    Redleader standing by

It is a big reel...so a bit of rod is needed for balance. May I suggest the Shimano 7'2" Terez in either 40-80# class or 50-100# class. A couple spots in this video you can see the Wright McGill/6000 Lethal combo and a Shimano/Fin Nor Ahab combos in action. Glad to see people coming over to the dark side.

2:35 Shimano
    2:55 Wright McGill

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    I picked up 2 of these jigging rods in conventional style and couldn't believe how sensitive they are. They also have a 5 year warranty. I'm going to get a spinning version this year. I'm opposite of you since I haven't decided on a reel to pair with the rod. Here's a link to the spinning version(s). http://www.basspro.com/Shakespeare-U...duct/10204693/
    The Okuma Cedros spinning rods are too soft and short for most big fish or for use on high side or extended transom boats IMO...ours stay home. The Tigers make for good rods at a low price.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I have an LT100 for heavy bottom fishing in AK, FL, SC and USVI. I have it mounted ona Pinnacle Marine 350g jigging rod that is super strong. John put together some great stuff and I havent met a fish this thing cnt handle. Super light and super strong. great paired up with the LT100

That being said, I did have a client snap the frame of my LT100 while jigging for rockfish/halibut in 400' this past summer.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/fishing-...le-marine.html

Thank you guys. I think I'll be going with the Tiger Lite.

I just put together an LT100/Tiger Lite XH. So far all I've done is hang a weight off the end. It feels way better than the casting version with a Penn Squall.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    I want to start with just one is year, to be used by kids and women, and those new to halibut fishing who don't have the wrist strength to handle a larger Penn-type conventional reel.

jim
    Once you try a good lightweight jigging rod/reel combo whether spinning or conventional, it's not just the women and children who will want to use the lighter gear Last year all of our offshore bottom fishing was with jigs, I will not go back to bait.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.