Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW in Virginia

Default CCW in Virginia

http://thehill.com/regulation/264001...htens-gun-laws

AK on the bad actor list in VA. Travel safely

Just like WA and OR. But at least WA "shall issue" even to non-residents of the state.

OR disarms non-residents.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

According to Fox News, the rationale for this is allegedly because states like Alaska allow "fugitives, convicted stalkers and drug dealers" to obtain concealed carry permits.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...25-states.html

Quote Originally Posted by sep View Post
    According to Fox News...
    Must be true then.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Well you know we Alaskans are a scary bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Must be true then.
    Ya.... If we want the REAL truth we need to go to the Huffington Post!!!!!

Actually, Sep and Fox News have the part about "fugitives, stalkers and drug dealers" right
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/12/22/virginia-revokes-handgun-permit-agreement-with-25-states.html

Attorney General Mark Herring, a Democrat, said the state will revoke its reciprocity agreement with the states because their concealed weapon laws don't meet Virginia's standards. Those states hand out permits to people who are barred under the Virginia law, like fugitives, convicted stalkers and drug dealers, which undermines the state's law and puts residents at risk, he said. "Evenly, consistently and fairly enforcing Virginia's concealed handgun permit law, as we are now doing, means that it will be more difficult for potentially dangerous individuals to conceal their handguns here in Virginia and that will make Virginians safer, especially Virginian law enforcement," Herring said

Here are parts of the VA law below. Maybe if we didn't have legal weed we'd still be able to carry in VA. There is no Alaska State Law that prohibits an Alaskan Pot Dealer or pot smoker from getting a CC Permit. Does this perhaps mean that our 2A right to carry in VA is now gone because of some people here in AK who wanted to start a Weed Economy. VA is not willing to take the chance on me even though my weed days are loooonnnng gone. I think Alaskan pot smokers may have blown smoke up our barrels here. It certainly is a part of it.

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/t...on18.2-308.09/

8. An individual who is addicted to, or is an unlawful user or distributor of, marijuana, synthetic cannabinoids, or any controlled substance.

12. An individual who is a fugitive from justice.

15. An individual who has been convicted of stalking.

How about this one. I thought one was innocent until proven guilty....

17. An individual who has a felony charge pending or a charge pending for an offense listed in subdivision 14 or 15.

Would this apply to someone who was say, currently under investigation by the FBI??? hmmmm
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

For those who remember recent political history, look no further than Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe...

Then this will all start to make sense.

Notice the states they allow....now feel my pain.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I'm not really sure I understand the problem here. I personally think that the standard to carry concealed should be very high. And should include things like testing and continuous education requirements as well as re-certification and qualification every so often. Plus, it really is a states rights issue. And the states should all have equally high standards. If Alaska's concealed permits and certification are lacking then we should improve them.

And yes I am a gun owner and hunter, I believe in the right to bare arms. I just don't like the idea of a untrained person carrying concealed everywhere he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by KantishnaCabin View Post
    I'm not really sure I understand the problem here. I personally think that the standard to carry concealed should be very high. And should include things like testing and continuous education requirements as well as re-certification and qualification every so often. Plus, it really is a states rights issue. And the states should all have equally high standards. If Alaska's concealed permits and certification are lacking then we should improve them.

And yes I am a gun owner and hunter, I believe in the right to bare arms. I just don't like the idea of a untrained person carrying concealed everywhere he goes.
    To me the problem is that in one state I am considered a law abiding citizen, I pass the FBI background check and I can legally carry my concealed firearm. If I then cross a certain state line I go from "law abiding good guy citizen" to a Felon in a matter of inches. That's a problem.

I'd agree with a Federal "common sense" gun law that would require all states to accept each other CC permits.

I'm not one to make assumptions but it sounds like you do not have your Alaskan Concealed Carry Permit (not that you need one because we don't). But if you did, you would know that the standards are pretty darn high. Actually much more stringent that Washington State for example which does not require more than passing a background check and paying them 50 bucks.

It's all spelled out here.
    http://www.dps.state.ak.us/statewide...and%20Regs.pdf

Here's a summary

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/statewide...ng/permit.aspx

Before applying for a permit, please read Alaska Statutes 18.65.700 through 18.65.790 and Alaska Regulations 13 AAC 30.010 through 13 AAC 30.900 (also in the resources tab). An applicant who supplies false statements, answers to questions, or documents may be prosecuted for unsworn falsification. Fees for a permit are not refundable if the permit requirements are not satisfied.The applicant must, in summary:
    • Be 21 years old or older.
    • Be an Alaska resident and have lived in the state for more than 90 days
    • Be eligible under federal and state regulations to possess a firearm.
    • Not been convicted of two or more Class A misdemeanors of Alaska or similar laws in any other jurisdiction within the six years immediately preceding the application.
    • Not be currently under order nor in the three years immediately preceding the application have been under order to complete an alcohol or substance abuse treatment program.
    • Successfully complete an approved handgun competency course within the 12 months prior to the application
    • Prepare their application in writing on the provided forms, and deliver the application in person. The information must be personally attested.
    • Submit fingerprint, photograph, current demographic date, and identifying data.
    • Pay the appropriate fees for the permit being requested -- $89.75 for an initial permit. Fees are not refundable if the permit is not approved.

Right, and you are correct. I do not have one nor do I feel the need to get one, however as I said before this seems to be a states rights issue not a right to bare arms issue. That is the very first time I have seen the requirements and as I suspected they are Alaska Statutes. The issue here is a disagreement between the states as to what constitutes proper training and certifications.

Yes I do believe that this is a veiled attempt by the left to tighten gun regulations nationwide. However, shouldn't this be an oportunity for us to standardize the qualification systems. If each state has different regulations and qualifications and if there was a federal law that required states to recognize others permits then we would have to recognize a permit of a loosely regulated state. While its not so much a problem for us here in Alaska, I can see how that would be big problem for a much more liberal leaning state.

Right, and you are correct. I do not have one nor do I feel the need to get one, however as I said before this seems to be a states rights issue not a right to bare arms issue. That is the very first time I have seen the requirements and as I suspected they are Alaska Statutes. The issue here is a disagreement between the states as to what constitutes proper training and certifications.

Yes I do believe that this is a veiled attempt by the left to tighten gun regulations nationwide. However, shouldn't this be an oportunity for us to standardize the qualification systems. If each state has different regulations and qualifications and if there was a federal law that required states to recognize others permits then we would have to recognize a permit of a loosely regulated state. While its not so much a problem for us here in Alaska, I can see how that would be big problem for a much more liberal leaning state.

Yup. Alaska statues but also this one...

• Be eligible under federal and state regulations to possess a firearm.

Also one must pass the FBI background check which is also Federal. Remember, there are no Federal laws that allow or disallow one to carry a concealed firearm (other than there are certain Federal buildings that don't allow firearms). Although I would argue that the 2A gives us the right to do so, carry concealed that is.

So, yes it is left up to the states and some states don't trust other states. But, they do trust each other with state issued Drivers Licenses.

As far as us Alaskans getting or not getting a CC permit. I encourage all Alaskans that carry concealed to get the permit even though it's not required by Alaska law. In getting the permit it makes you go through 12 hours of training, allows you to legally carry in quite a few other states that we have reciprocity with, gives you an exemption to having to get a NICS background check when dealing with an FFL. CC permit is stamped NICS Exempt since you've had the background check done. Taking the course makes one learn what the laws are, what your rights and responsibilities are when carrying concealed. And I like how Joe Nava, our local NRA Instructor puts it... If you are approached by an LEO and when, by law, you tell him you are carrying concealed and you add the words.... "with a permit" it helps identify you as a "good guy". The conversation then becomes one between "two good guys with guns". It could help diffuse an otherwise tense situation.

peace

Again here we are making new guns laws. If the feds were writing things like on this thread we would raise heck but if we do,well heck shut up folks we have enough worthless laws.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Again here we are making new guns laws. If the feds were writing things like on this thread we would raise heck but if we do,well heck shut up folks we have enough worthless laws.

Who is creating what new laws other than VA? The only law I proposed is that all states should have to accept each other cc permits.

Here is one.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

To my way of thinking, making such requirements for owning/carrying firearms is akin to making vocabulary tests mandatory for those that want to speak in public. I believe that for freedom, some of us must occasionally suffer fools...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I believe that for freedom, some of us must occasionally suffer fools...
    If only the suffering was an occasional exception, rather than the prevailing rule. What to do when the fools become the vast majority?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

To my way of thinking, making such requirements for owning/carrying firearms is akin to making vocabulary tests mandatory for those that want to speak in public. I believe that for freedom, some of us must occasionally suffer fools...
    How about an intelligence test before you can post on a forum or facebook or...

Never mind, if that was the rule the internet would be really quiet...

Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    If only the suffering was an occasional exception, rather than the prevailing rule. What to do when the fools become the vast majority?
    Fools have always been the majority...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

+1

Perhaps we should have a permit system that requires the troopers to get a warrant before searching a house?

Like it or not, Heller and McDonald established the 2A as an equal to the 1st, 4th, 14th, etc.

It is an individual right.

Like my Dad told me, "80% of the people in this world are $$$$ing idiots."

He was right, but they still have the right to speak, and if Edward Bulwer-Lytton is correct, is more dangerous than the right to arms.

Take it or leave it, but the right to bear arms is as much a civil liberty as the freedom of speech.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast