Thread: Finally got that J-O-B

Question Finally got that J-O-B

Finally snagged a job (on JBER) and we are moving up. Flying up first in late January. Then moving limited household items, wife, pets, and maybe a handfull of firearms (read the Canada info already) up the ALCAN in late Spring/early Summer via truck and cargo trailer. Is there anything new we should be aware of that is not on the sticky post?

P.S. If anyone knows of decent, small house for rent in Chugiak/Eagle River/Birchwood/"East" Butte for a couple of late 40ish-yo professionals with well-behaved canine children, let me know.

The area you are trying to relocate to is a very desirable area to live. I would start researching adds well before I get up here and contacting forum members in that area.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Congratulations! I've lived in Chugiak for 20 years now. I own, not rent, but will keep eyes open. I suspect you'll find more available units in Eagle River. Chugiak housing is a little wierd, most development happened in 70s and 80s. Lots of older houses in the 1500 to 2500 s.f. range. New developments in the 00's with much bigger and fancier houses, 3000 s.f. and up. it may not matter for renting, but Municpality of Anchorage does not enforce building code in Chugiak (Peters Creek and Birchwood) and Eklutna. It's entirely up to builder and financer whether or not to build to code. So you will see some very creative houses, especially the older ones.

if you're buying a cargo trailer, check out what is moving on Craigslist so you can sell it quickly when your stuff gets here. If you're paying for the move, you could probably defray some of the costs by hauling up hard-to-ship items and selling them up here. Could be more trouble than it's worth but something to keep in mind.

Edit to add: It's also been 20 years since I brought my firearms through Canada, but it was a non-event at the time. Canadian customs guys at border in Montana were much more interested in whether or not my dogs had all their shots.

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    Edit to add: It's also been 20 years since I brought my firearms through Canada, but it was a non-event at the time. Canadian customs guys at border in Montana were much more interested in whether or not my dogs had all their shots.
    Luckily for me the wife is a veterinarian, so we have the pet stuff convered.

The rental for the first year or so is going to be the tedious part of the whole deal.

We are going to get a 6x12 or 14' tandem axle, v-front; yes, we're having to pay for our move but keeping our place down here for the time being. So, limited items; stuff we've been accumulating for a possible move - things like a Fisher baby bear wood stove (sshh, please don't tell the EPA) and few household items of which we are fond.

The plan is to eventually find an acre or so, and build a small "house"/cabin (2BR-1B: 16-20 x 32-36'). I've done some smaller framing projects including our current abode, and one of our Alaska friends is an electrician who can help get my runs laid out and connections made.

I would suggest getting your AK driver's licenses as soon as you can. That will give you a verifiable way to start the countdown to resident status ticking.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    I would suggest getting your AK driver's licenses as soon as you can. That will give you a verifiable way to start the countdown to resident status ticking.
    I'd fly up before the first of the year for the PFD as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    I'm hoping my first leave and earning statement there serves that purpose. A PFD would be nice, but I guess the wife will just have to work a few more days.... Hunting opportunities a one of the reasons we are making the move, but the whole package/experience/change of lifestyle is what we're after.