Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coyote Line 2015

Default Coyote Line 2015

Got a late start this year - weather has been rain, mud, and warm all fall. Still is but I have 11 days off starting Thursday so gonna do what I can. Wife is fighting cancer and will be traveling a couple days next week to another hospital so may be a pretty slim season... Hoping to take 10 more and I will hit a milestone over the years of 500 coyotes trapped... Got out 5 sets this past weekend and running them in the dark and mud is no fun..
    Picked up this Young well furred male Sunday AM and then yesterday got his brother and sister in a double! These two were very muddy and full of cockle-burs - took over an hour last night to get them picked out! Ugh... Hope to take my first Otter soon, got 2 working a pond I can trap if it dries out enough to get to them!
    Good luck and Merry Christmas to you all!

When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

WOW 500 coming up, thats awesome smokey! I have been getting a little coyote education lately on my line. I make fox and coyote sets off of muskrat pushups on the ice. Its a deadly set on fox but I had a coyote run my trail all the way to with in 10 feet of my set and he did the classic jump off the trail, go around and stayed 10 feet from the set and then back onto my trail. Somthing he didn't like. Thats where I usually have blind trail sets out but not enough snow yet. Merry Xmas to you and your wife smokey!!

This is my fox muskrat set that the fox some how worked my drag pole out from under the ice.

but he didn't get to far..

Caught this guy last Sunday. 31# cat..

Steve, thx, I took about 20 years off to do other things - like hunt deer, bears, moose etc and it has been fun trapping with all the newest gear. To me coyotes are the ultimate - very cunning and shy critter for sure. I read a study some years ago and some biologists made some sets minus traps, set up trail cameras and recorded the coyotes reactions. Something like 80 % never would come in all the way to a set - really a tough critter to outsmart. You have enough snow to learn a lot from tracks for sure - they all have a weakness somewhere if you study them long enough.
    Boy I sure wish we had those big cats here - I would love to catch one of those!

BTW I am a piker compared to some true "wolfers" I have known over the years. I have a friend of a friend that last season went from IL to Kansas and trapped coyotes around cattle lots - he caught over 500 ( I think 526 ) in about 5 weeks there! He had to dispose of over 100 due to flea damage - my old bones could not handle that much activity! I have one friend that takes over 100 a year that I grew up trapping with - I admire those guys for sure...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Smokey, I did not realize how much I've enjoyed your posts, until just now, when you posted again. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your adventures with us.
    Cancer strikes many of us. I've taken that journey too. As hard as it may be for us, the patient, it is hard, maybe harder, on the caregiver. You would give anything to beat that cancer for her, and it is the one thing you can not do. But Smokey, trust me, what you do is important. That you care, is important. That you worry, is important. Please Smokey, believe what I tell you. Everything that you do is enough.
    I'll be thinking of the two of you, and praying for your strength and understanding. I'm here and available if you ever feel the need to talk to somebody that knows the journey, but is not connected emotionally.
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    He had to dispose of over 100 due to flea damage -
    You probably mean Mite damage as I am guessing you are talking mange! It has sure ran it cycles in Nebraska and Kansas in the last 10-15 years.

Great post AAR. Merry Xmas to you and your family!

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Smokey, I did not realize how much I've enjoyed your posts, until just now, when you posted again. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your adventures with us.
    Cancer strikes many of us. I've taken that journey too. As hard as it may be for us, the patient, it is hard, maybe harder, on the caregiver. You would give anything to beat that cancer for her, and it is the one thing you can not do. But Smokey, trust me, what you do is important. That you care, is important. That you worry, is important. Please Smokey, believe what I tell you. Everything that you do is enough.
    I'll be thinking of the two of you, and praying for your strength and understanding. I'm here and available if you ever feel the need to talk to somebody that knows the journey, but is not connected emotionally.
    ARR
    Thanks for the kind and inspirational words ARR - they mean a lot! We are doing pretty good, cancer is contained in bladder and should be treatable. My wife has has 3 removed spread out over 2 = three month surgeries and the week before Christmas she has a scope and they found many this time so we are changing Drs as we have lost a little faith in the one we have. Will be a 4 hour drive each way vs 30 minutes but will be worth it!
    This is my Princess of 39 years and little Kaidy we took under wing 2 years ago helping her battle a very deadly cancer. She is clean at this time and enjoying being a 6 year old after a hellish year...She brings us joy and hope !

I was giving Kaidy her first driving lessons in my utility cart!

Well, had two dry days and now three days of heavy rain started while running my line of 5 sets!
    This is the hardest winter run I can remember, mud and more mud! I have taken 6 this week though so nibbling away! 5 females/1 male.

Today it started lighting while taking this female out of the set - spooky when out in the middle of open fields!

Trench set scores! I am out of lure awaiting a shipment - ugh!

Kinda running over my own thread but I think pictures like this leave an imprint for life and worth sharing. Kaidy always had a smile even in the hardest of times. I was rebuilding her garage roof and she stayed with me the entire day watching and chatting... Her father fell ill with cancer 9 months before she fell ill and he passed away in under a month.. Very sad situation for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ryansven View Post
    You probably mean Mite damage as I am guessing you are talking mange! It has sure ran it cycles in Nebraska and Kansas in the last 10-15 years.
    Nope, my old partner said flea damage, we also fight mange.
    Here is a pick of his 2013 catch of 96 coyotes and some fox and about 67 coons if my memory serves me. He trapped Il for 5 weeks then went to Kansas for 3 weeks. These are his IL catch.

Creeks are full as we have had major rain, some flooding and trapline a mess! So decided to do some cleanup in my man cave and finish up a project I started a couple weeks ago! Tried to figure out something to do with a lifetime of racks being accumulated and stuck everywhere? So, made a Horny Tree!

Smokey, you are smart to explore options, especially when you start to lose confidence in your care provider. Depends on the insurance you have, but I'd sure give Cancer Treatment Center of America a call. They man their 800 number 24/7. The people answering the phones are world class. In fact, they epitomize everything that is good about CTCA.
    Thanks again for the added photos, including those of your wife and beautiful young lady.
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Smokey, you are smart to explore options, especially when you start to lose confidence in your care provider. Depends on the insurance you have, but I'd sure give Cancer Treatment Center of America a call. They man their 800 number 24/7. The people answering the phones are world class. In fact, they epitomize everything that is good about CTCA.
    Thanks again for the added photos, including those of your wife and beautiful young lady.
    ARR
    We went to a huge medical center in Chicago run by the U of I with a very good staff and we had good results. Will go back Jan 26 for a outpatient procedure but it sounded very promising and no drugs needed.. Weather was a bear, 400 miles of 35 to 40 mph winds and heavy freezing rain. Wrecks everywhere but 12 hours later we got home!

Well , we have Major flooding, half my line is under 5 - 10 feet of water and rising! Managed to get 4 sets remade yesterday and had a female and male today...
    I like it when they are wearing two bracelets!

Ready to catch another!

Number two was a big male I had to pitch because of mange rub in shoulders - ugh!

Two sets where waterways and field lanes intersect...

I put in a bale set and double dirt hole set on my favorite ditch line finally today as it is freezing up so I can drive to it. Ya might notice I like to get close and save the walking!

Waxed dirt to set the trap and 2 year old grass clippings for a nice touch to top it over!

My favorite way to set dirt holes by far. Second hole really brings them in out of curiosity.

Use clumps of sod for backing when possible to help direct them in..

For you new trappers note how deep the feet are into the traps in the pics. These are MB 550 and 650 traps. The key, no matter what trap you use, is to BED IT FIRMLY! I can't stress that enough, You also want the trap level or preferably slightly lower than surrounding soil. I use a wad of material under the pad or fiberglass covers that help stretch the waxed dirt supply out some...
    Feel free to ask questions I am glad to share and help others. I tried to include some background angles so you can get a feel for what "funnels" or travel routes are like. Your terrain may be much different but there are similar funnels if you pay attention. Streams are ALWAYS a key travel route.

I managed to get my swing and picnic table to high ground! We are supposed to be 1/4 mile from the creek!

There were two coyote sets in the foreground and supposed to be a lane to a back field - ugh!

One of my crop fields flooding as it breeches levy...

Got the break in the weather we needed, temps in the twenties and firm ground finally allowed me to set 2 more of my favorite spots yesterday and today number 8 was awaiting me at sunrise.
    Another female, that's 6 and 2 males...

Nicely furred one..

What is the heaviest coyote you or your friends have caught...........???? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    What is the heaviest coyote you or your friends have caught...........???? Thanks
    I can't say for sure AGL, but I weighed one big male two years ago at 48 lbs. I have seen/caught a few that I think were bigger but did not weigh them... I think the N/Western coyotes are probably the heaviest in the lower 48?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast