Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Third-Class Medical Reform

Default Third-Class Medical Reform

Has anyone been watching this? This was brought to my attention by another buddy who is a pilot after hearing about my frustrations I've had with the FAA medical examination process which has slowed down my progress on obtaining my PPL.

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/A...use-and-Senate

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/A...medical-reform

It sounds better than what we have now, but it's nowhere near "If your ok to drive, you're ok to fly".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been watching closely since I discovered kidney stones could be an issue a couple years ago, now I could get it issued by an AME with the CACI program, but used to require defferal to FAA for a Special Issuance. Decided to go Sport Pilot and got a J3 instead, figured I'd wait to see how the whole medical reform played out before trying to upgrade.

The new law if passed will still require a medical, but just one or one within last ten years and then additional special issuance for certain conditions if they arise.

The biggest help will be the order for the FAA to review the special issuance policy and see if AME can issue more clearances directly.

Here's the passed bill-https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...-bill/571/text

Still no recourse for those that flunked a medical.

Just to clarify, that is the bill as it passed the Senate, now it has to pass another committee and then the House vote. Hopefully, no more compromises.

From what I read in other articles this "reform" is going to be far from a drivers license medical. I have heard it will be worse because now the legal liability will fall on your regular doctor and they may not be inclined to sign it off. Also what if my regular doctor is in another country?

The proposals that probably would have been better would have been removing standards from LSA category like changing the weight from gross to empty, removing horse power requirements and stall speeds. Basicly just making LSA an empty weight standard only. That way we all just become LSA category and all this crap goes away.

We all know that the majority of pilots are not going to stop flying anyways regardless of the paperwork, they just cant fly into muni airports of pancake fly ins anymore.

I totally agree that just expanding LSA would have made far more sense than trying to get rid of 3rd Class Medical and fighting the AME lobby. Up passengers to 4 and Gross Weight to 4,000 would cover most recreational users quite nicely.

Nothing stops you from using your AME instead of a regular doctor, which I think was their goal, to preserve the aviation medicine niche.

Yep, so I get to go be stressed out and try to take a half day off to relax and pee away $150 or what ever it was every 5 years. Just did mine a few months ago so I have a while but I was hoping to never have to do that dog and pony show again.

Quote Originally Posted by BQuad View Post
    I totally agree that just expanding LSA would have made far more sense than trying to get rid of 3rd Class Medical and fighting the AME lobby. Up passengers to 4 and Gross Weight to 4,000 would cover most recreational users quite nicely.

Nothing stops you from using your AME instead of a regular doctor, which I think was their goal, to preserve the aviation medicine niche.

The original EAA/AOPA proposal was just fine and would have been much easier to sell if they had just bumped up the HP to 330 and seats up to 4 plus pilot. Adding all the "stuff" made it harder to get thru and didn't help most GA pilots. Glad I'm building an LSA...maybe one more year!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Unfortunatly I will never be LSA because my hp and stall speed is too high. A day will come where I will eventually have to fly without a valid medical unless some meaningful law changes are made before then.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    The original EAA/AOPA proposal was just fine and would have been much easier to sell if they had just bumped up the HP to 330 and seats up to 4 plus pilot. Adding all the "stuff" made it harder to get thru and didn't help most GA pilots. Glad I'm building an LSA...maybe one more year!!

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    Unfortunatly I will never be LSA because my hp and stall speed is too high. A day will come where I will eventually have to fly without a valid medical unless some meaningful law changes are made before then.
    rppearso, you seem not to realize that the FARs were not simply designed as restrictions against you and your flying activities. They were designed primarily for the safety of those around you. That means the safety of other pilots and for all those people and all that property around you, both on the ground and in the air. I suspect you may be the world's only Pitts and personal hangar owner who pees and moans about the $150 you are required by regulation to lay out for a flight physical.

I bothers many of us, I"m sure, that you have such disdain for others. From your posts, it is clear that you are quite self-centered, and that's okay. But to be so ****ed inconsiderate of those around you boggles my mind. Please stop and think about this before just dashing off some tangential response, one that will only further display your inconsideration of others.

Quite a few useful members have left here because every thread is overran with his pointless whining.
    This forum used to be decent at times. Taken over by nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    Quite a few useful members have left here because every thread is overran with his pointless whining.
    This forum used to be decent at times. Taken over by nonsense.
    ​Pretty much, it seems . . . . .

He also spews forth on City-Data Alaska, Anchorage, Fairbanks forums as pittsflyer. And has the same reputation there.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I suspect the Pitts is flying him, not the other way around...

No one cares but you. This whole thread is useless because short of writing our national representitives there is nothing we can do about 3rd class medical requirements. Nothing I say is untrue.

In fact short of some of the technical threads there is nothing we can do about any of the aviation regulations. So maybe we should just close the entire flying portion of these forums since there is very little actionable material.

Maybe you should just stick to driving your boat around.

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    He also spews forth on City-Data Alaska, Anchorage, Fairbanks forums as pittsflyer. And has the same reputation there.

No one cares but you. This whole thread is useless because short of writing our national representitives there is nothing we can do about 3rd class medical requirements. Nothing I say is untrue.

In fact short of some of the technical threads there is nothing we can do about any of the aviation regulations. So maybe we should just close the entire flying portion of these forums since there is very little actionable material.

One thing YOU can do is insure your flying activities !!!

I dont know what that means, like just make sure you pass the medicals? I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post

One thing YOU can do is insure your flying activities !!!

Right back at you: Maybe you should just stick to driving your plane around.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Thats what I plan on doing this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Right back at you: Maybe you should just stick to driving your plane around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast