Thread: Scopes for kickers

Default Scopes for kickers

Wondering what others choose for scopes for heavy kickers like 338 and higher. Im thinking plenty of eye relief ,2-10x or so.
    What say you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been quite happy with a Zeiss Conquest and a Leupold 6x42,
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    Wondering what others choose for scopes for heavy kickers like 338 and higher. Im thinking plenty of eye relief ,2-10x or so.
    What say you.

My all around favorite scope is Leupold's 6x42. Among its many attributes is substantial eye-relief, more than 4 inches. I have them mounted on all kinds of rifles, but in regards to your question I have them on a sub 7 pound 7mm STW, an 8 pound 358 Norma, and a 9 pound .340 Weatherby. Due to their eye-relief and durability, the 6x42 is in a class by itself and IME is the epitome of scopes for a big game hunting rifle.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I'm a big fan of the Leupold 2-7x flavor scopes. Generally keep them turned down to 2x. Plenty of eye relief and a large field of view for the close shots that happen quickly.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    What say you.

Probably, it doesn't matter that much, other than the Eye Relief, as you mentioned, and the Field of View. 2X10 is a workable choice.

I no longer own a 338, but the first scope I put on it was a BSA Fixed Power. It cost only $26.00 and was in a Bubble Pak.

It did fine, and I eventually, I replaced it with a 2X7.

My thinking is, that for something like a 338, the scope should have the capability of Low power, and that because the lower power has a greater Field of View.

If your 338 is a bear gun, and you might need to take a close and fast shot, an adequate FOV is highly desirable, if not essential, because you would want to see as much of the bear as possible, so as to know where to shoot him.

If you look through your scope, and don't have a lot of time to sort things out, you could be in trouble, if all you see is bear hair. Or, something other than bear.

To check your FOV at any power, look through your scope at a doorway,and find out how FAR AWAY you hafta be to see the width of the door. (The width of a doorway must be about the size a bear could squeeze through.).

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

All my big guns that have scopes are topped with Leupold. Many are 3x9, but I have a 4x12 on one, a 4x14 on one, a 3.5x10 on another, and 2 are packing a 6.5x20. Never a problem.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

For medium bores a fixed Leupold. For big rollers and solid peep does the job.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I tried a scope on my 416Rem, a 3x9 of some sort IIRC, and I still have a crease in my head. It will be wearing an old Weaver 3x if the 4" or so eye relief is enough. I'm not putting a scope on it with any less eye relief than 4". A 6.5x20 won't be happening.

Over the last however many decades I've accumulated half a dozen Leupold 1.5x5's. Absolutely my favorite for boomers for mag range, durability, and especially eye relief. I once had a Ruger #1 458 that some braniac had rechambered to 460 WBY. Shot up all 500 of the custom 600 grain boattails that came with the rifle and more. Never scoped me once. Same model on one of my 375's and my 458. Like it so much I even have it on several peashooters too.

6X42 Leupold. In Leupold mounts with torx screws and Loc Tight.

But if the stock doesn't fit you, it either has to be changed (replaced) or modified. Most scope eyes come from people who need a 48XXL stock while shooting a 38 regular stock.

Just think about buying a car or truck with a non-adjustable drivers seat.

Can't fix stupid.

7STW

I have some big glass with adjustable objectives on a couple of 22 target guns but for my hunting rifles, they all have 4x or 6x glass on them. Leupold must sell a heck of a lot of those 6x42s because most everybody in these parts has them on their coyote rifles. I now have a Prinzess 6x40 on my 243. It is a heck of a scope that I bought used from a gun shop in Butte, Montana. It originated on a new P.O. Ackley mauser that had been a safe queen. The two got separated and I got the scope. I bought it to put on a beautiful FN-98 mauser in 30-06 that I bought from our very own gunbugs but if we ever get any snow it will get far more action on the 243. I also have a couple of the old Weaver K6s...the (I think) 38 mm objective with the fine cross hairs. My slug guns and inlines(which I never use) have 2.5 or 3x fixed scopes.

The one scope that I have had the longest and has been rode hard and put away wet is a 1970's vintage Universal 4x. It rode on a Mini 14 that rode in the truck, got dropped in a creek, and held down a bunch of fences and followed a whole lot of coyote tracks. It now shoots squirrels on one of my grandsons' 22s. I sprayed it with flat black paint because it was u-u-u-g-g-gly!

Handguns don't supposed to have scopes......my thinking.

I have Leupold on about all my guns that I hunt with. One of them is a 6X42 on a 700 remington in .270 Win. that I have had for years. It is a very good scope.

EKC I also have a 4 power Universal that come on a new 788 Remington .243 in the mid 1960's and cost less than $100. It was a very good cheap scope.

I have many different scopes (Leupold, Kahles, Swarovski, Zeiss), but bottom line, like others here, I encourage you to check-out Leupold. My favorite is a VariX-III in 3.5x10. If your rifle already has iron sights you can mount a detachable ring/base combo. You will have plenty or eye relief with that scope. Leupolds are darn near bomb-proof, and their warranty (if you do have a problem...I have not in many, many years) is unbeatable.

I'm a big Leupold fan for many reasons and currently have 6 of them. I have had a 2.5 x 8 Vari XIII on my .338 for many years. I also have a Leupold 1.75 x 6 VXIII with a Post Duplex from their custom shop. The guy at the Custom Shop told me their toughest variable scope is the 1.75 x 6. He also told me Bansner's Rifles and D' Arcy Echols uses that scope for testing their big boomers.

Leupold's are light in weight, have the best eye relief, transmit plenty of available light for north American hunting. and have a great warranty.

I put the Leupold 1.75X6 VXIII (Heavy Duplex) on my .338. It has served me well.

My Redfield 27 has held up to my 338wm for the last four years.