Thread: Copper River Frozen yet?

Default Copper River Frozen yet?

We still have a Bison tag to fill. Was wondering if anyone is traveling the river yet? Best to go to Chitna and ride?

Thank you in advance for the information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AKNUCLEARZR View Post
    We still have a Bison tag to fill. Was wondering if anyone is traveling the river yet? Best to go to Chitna and ride?

Thank you in advance for the information

Easiest way to access them is drop in at lower tonsina. Not sure about river but some real cold weather heading that way over next 10 days. Good bet it will be crossable.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I don't know about that section but the area around the Gulkana is open and dangerous. The Gulkana river is still open with very scary ice. No one up here has ever seen anything like it and my suggestion is be very careful!

Walt
    Gulkana Raft Rentals

The Copper can be sketchy even during the best winters. You could cross it in the morning only to find it wide open for miles in the evening. I would never travel on the Copper, and only cross it with extreme care.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

We did raft it this fall and the river has so many braids I guess I would have to just look for main channels and stay away. I can't see being able to ride off river as the woods are so thick. Maybe take the Old logging trails across the river. Is there any snow?
    Thank you for the replies

I grew up on that river, and it is not something to take lightly. I have done that hunt twice in the winter and it is doable. Just take your time , be prepared to call it off and hit it after a real good spell of cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    I grew up on that river, and it is not something to take lightly. I have done that hunt twice in the winter and it is doable. Just take your time , be prepared to call it off and hit it after a real good spell of cold weather.
    I just returned from a walk with the wife and the dog down to the river just up from the confluence of the Gulkana. The Copper is running wide open and lots of open leads. I have been out this way for 18ish years and never seen this much open water. I think I could raft that sucker!

Ok...Gulkana Raft Rentals is offering a once in a life time raft trip on the Copper in December..Day by day offer!

Be very careful on the Copper guys! Evening the summer I am cautious on the Copper!

Very strange we had ice when we floated in the fall. I know it is fast River but I would have expected it to freeze mostly. Looks like I will have to find a way on the bluffs.

Quote Originally Posted by AKNUCLEARZR View Post
    Very strange we had ice when we floated in the fall. I know it is fast River but I would have expected it to freeze mostly. Looks like I will have to find a way on the bluffs.

A friend landed his cub on a lake and he and buddy took a bison a few years ago. Its Ahtna country, but accessible when the river isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    A friend landed his cub on a lake and he and buddy took a bison a few years ago. Its Ahtna country, but accessible when the river isn't.
    We have paid the Ahtna fee to hunt/use their land. Just really want to fill the tag. From what I can tell from hiking on the main land most of it is extremely thick. Of course we did not stray too far from the river 2 miles max. Google earth is deceiving the areas I thought were going be sparse were not. Will be doing some recon missions in the near future. Hoping for enough snow pack to go cross country with the rmk

Wanted to check in with any of locals. Any news on the copper? Is there ice? Is there snow? I spoke with Kenny lakes merc tonight and she was telling me that the tonsina is still open could not speak for the copper. She also said they only have a couple inches of snow.
    Thanks in advance!