Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radar choices

Default Radar choices

Been thinking about radar. Haven't started really looking yet. I've never had it so I'm all ears suggest away. I'm attaching a pic of the boat also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

expensive per look i'd rather spend good money for a stand alone fish finder or maybe a quality plotter/sounder combo. I've had radars for 35 years on my lobster & gillnet boats, only bought the 1st unit new all the others came with used boats and i bet i haven't used any of them more than 3-5 times a year (if that). Even though others will tell you different only brand i would buy is Furuno.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Garmin 742. Chartplotter/sounder and you can add radar latter. You can add fuel flow and other features as you get the money.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I have a stand alone Furuno 1623; simple, didn't break the bank, works perfectly out of the box. It will pick up logs too. It's mounted up on a radar arch with some of my antennas so I can carry my inflatable up on the roof under the arch or 3 double kayaks. I didn't want a combo unit. I have 2 separate plotter/sounders on the dash and the radar hangs down from the ceiling. It's all dialed in perfectly and works the same.

Default Radar choices

I currently have a Garmin 44dv chart plotter/finder works good doesn't take up much space. I'm just starting to look into seeing if I can run the unit with my Yamaha f150 to display fuel burn. I will be running mostly salt water but also the Tanana river and Kantishna. 90mi. One way so it's nice to be able to have real time fuel info. Back to radar. The arch is a great idea about how much power will a u nit like the Furuno or Garmin use? Trying to see if dual batteries is needed. Adding an ace pot puller and either an Espar or Planar heater.

Like Potbuilder says, I hardly use my radar and when I do, it scares the crap out of me when I see boats coming up fast close behind in the fog so almost wish I didn't have it. I used to use it a lot to navigate to the headlands of the Sound and making my way through places like behind Crafton Island where I'd just run on a set distance off shore, but since GPS/chartplotters came out, a dedicated chartplotter is my preferred navigation tool now, along with a dedicated sounder.

[QUOTE=LOCALAK907;1516433]I currently have a Garmin 44dv chart plotter/finder works good doesn't take up much space. I'm just starting to look into seeing if I can run the unit with my Yamaha f150 to display fuel burn. I will be running mostly salt water but also the Tanana river and Kantishna. 90mi. One way so it's nice to be able to have real time fuel info. Back to radar. The arch is a great idea about how much power will a u nit like the Furuno or Garmin use? Trying to see if dual batteries is needed. Adding an ace pot puller and either an Espar or Planar heater.

Come see me or at least talk with me before you buy that ace puller.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Will do potbuilder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used my radar so far this year about 8x (both fog and low light conditions); if you have to turn it on just once, it pays for itself. I WANT to see the moron running at me at 25 knots in the fog; all you gotta do is change course, the whole point of radar is it sees a whole lot farther and will give you reaction time rather than "oh ****!!!!" At the last moment.
    36 watts while running. I have 2 batteries for everything on the boat and don't notice that it draws much even tho I have in addition an espar, 2 vhfs, stereo, 2 plotter/sounders, nav,deck,interior lights and a windshield fan I rarely use; the one thing that does draw a bit of juice is my washdown pump, 6gph or more I think at 70psi so it's not a wuss, also 2 windshield wipers.
    Used to have a safe t puller and a third batt for that but took that stuff off the boat.
    Go with a Planar; just installed one on a friend's boar and while I like the Espar d2 I have, I'd now go with the Planar. Can't even hear the exhaust in an enclosed shop with it running on high. My Espar makes itself known down on the rail even from the top of the ramp
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

I would recommend your minimum specs be 24 mile and 2kw power, 4kw is better. You will be happier not buying a 12 mile and 1kw unit.
    Furuno is my first choice and depending on budget make your choice.
    You do not need to see 24 miles but you want the extra power to see more objects in close.
    Buy a unit that has a NEMA port and be sure your GPS has NEMA port.
    You want the radar to show the waypoint you are going to. My radar puts a circle around my waypoint.
    This way when there are several objects on the radar you know which one is your waypoint. Without the circle they are all just spots on the radar.
    Mount the antenna at a 5 degree down angle.
    The radar will pay for itself the first time you get caught in dense fog. Try going between or around islands in dense fog.

Amen tide runner. I got lucky when I installed Mine on the arch, my roof has a slight down angle and it all worked perfectly as-is, no wedges or any adjustment. Like I said it will pick up logs and seems to work fine on the farther out ranges although I keep it at a one mile or less range due to boat traffic and running fast in tight to beaches or channels.
    One of these days I might get fancier with tying all my electronics together but I like the simplicity I have and all the electronics are on their own circuits ; wired & powered separately. One of the best things I've done on the boat, rewire the whole thing and got rid of factory wiring (too light/small) and ditched the fused switch panels in favor of circuit breakers. The Hewes comes with pitiful panels, mine had a 4 circuit fused panel; I went with 2 separate (as in powered separately from the battery switch) circuit breaker panels totaling 12 circuits and use every one of them.
    The biggest problem I've seen in factory boats is way too light gauge main wiring powering up to the dash and switch panels.
    Kinda got off the thread a little here but if you're gonna add electronics might as well get it right from the start and not just add stuff indiscriminately.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Amen tide runner. I got lucky when I installed Mine on the arch, my roof has a slight down angle and it all worked perfectly as-is, no wedges or any adjustment. Like I said it will pick up logs and seems to work fine on the farther out ranges although I keep it at a one mile or less range due to boat traffic and running fast in tight to beaches or channels.
    One of these days I might get fancier with tying all my electronics together but I like the simplicity I have and all the electronics are on their own circuits ; wired & powered separately. One of the best things I've done on the boat, rewire the whole thing and got rid of factory wiring (too light/small) and ditched the fused switch panels in favor of circuit breakers. The Hewes comes with pitiful panels, mine had a 4 circuit fused panel; I went with 2 separate (as in powered separately from the battery switch) circuit breaker panels totaling 12 circuits and use every one of them.
    The biggest problem I've seen in factory boats is way too light gauge main wiring powering up to the dash and switch panels.
    Kinda got off the thread a little here but if you're gonna add electronics might as well get it right from the start and not just add stuff indiscriminately.
    Local, looking at your pic I see 3 things that can easily by relocated out of the way; the wiper motors (mount them at the top of the windows), the VHF (doesn't need to be taking up limited dash space) and the fans, I'd relocate those to an overhead position as well. My Hewes has limited dash space so I mounted all my radios along the starboard hull wall, radar overhead, fan overhead and the 2 plotter/sounders which I look at constantly and want in my field of vision on the dash. Just ideas to improve on limited space.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    One of the best things I've done on the boat, rewire the whole thing and got rid of factory wiring (too light/small) and ditched the fused switch panels in favor of circuit breakers. The Hewes comes with pitiful panels, mine had a 4 circuit fused panel; I went with 2 separate (as in powered separately from the battery switch) circuit breaker panels totaling 12 circuits and use every one of them.

I would not be too hard on the manufacture for doing all the things you found wrong with the wiring in your boat. The reason I say that is they may not have been the one who installed your boat battery circuits.

How do I know this. Last year I called up a builder of a popular boat sold in Alaska and ask if I could have a wiring diagram of there boats. To my surprise.........They told me they don't have a wiring diagram. The only wiring they install is a per-fabricated engine harness and panel. All the other wiring is done by the local dealer.

It wasn't that the wiring was wrong per se, just barely adequate to run a 4 switch panel for bare minimum stuff. Unless you're into a BayWeld, GlacierCraft, etc you just will find that factory boats/wiring are pretty much the same across the board (like automotive type connections vs. heat shrink stuff). After having worked at a boatyard on Hewes, Seasports, C-Dory's, Boultons, etc. they are all kinda the same in regards to wiring, loads, panels and the great thing (and easy) is to upgrade all that stuff.
    My boat needed the upgrade for 2 reasons; age & more electrical add-ons like the Espar, additional VHF, additional plotter, radar, deck lights, washdown pump. When the boat is used year-round and provides my living I know everything electrical is up to par; correct gauge marine wiring, components, waterproof circuit breakers and the elimination of most fuses.

for anybody who's in the market for new electronics call
    Precision Marine Center
    www.PrecisionMarineCenter.com
    chris@precisionmarinecenter.com
    914 235 4023
    Ask for Chris Labozza
    he is a marine electronics guru/geek. Has saved me money on everything i bought from him and he won't try to oversell you on what you need.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

OR...support a local business and give Polar Marine a call. All major brands are available with experienced and certified technicians on staff.

Everything from small boat systems to autopilot and integrated vessel control. We also rebuild haulers, service Wallas diesel heaters, and set transducers in all hull types.

From a safety standpoint, radar is a very powerful tool, not a religion to be "believed in". The GPS tells you where you are, but the radar shows you what you cannot see. We spin radar every trip, even when it is nice out. Because of that, fog and darkness are not limiting factors.

There are a few economical small boat radar choices. As always, the right choice depends on several things particular to each individual boat and owner.

Http://PolarMarine.net

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    PolarMarine.net

KenaiFly-Good point on the radar. For those who haven't used radar or haven't used it much, turning it on when you CAN see what is around you will give you a very good idea of what you are looking at on the screen and what it represents. Waiting to figure out how a tool works when you actually need it is never a good idea. Determining what your radar can pick up under what settings on a clear day is worth a lot on a day when you can't see much. I've boated for many years and I'm really glad I've had radar on my last two boats. I've seen boats running WOT on a foggy day without radar and if nothing else I'd like to know where they are and where they are going and make sure I'm not anywhere near them...
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Back to the original question. I have the Garmin 1040xs at the helm and the 547xs in the cockpit matched with an 18HD Radome. Combo works quite nicely.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

So the guy who sold me the boat contacted me and said he had the following unit available new in box never installed. I'll post a copy on the thread. Has anybody had experience withe this unit?
    "I have a sitex 16 mile 1.5kw radar. It has a 7 in screen its new never been installed in a boat."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LOCALAK907 View Post
    I currently have a Garmin 44dv chart plotter/finder works good doesn't take up much space. I'm just starting to look into seeing if I can run the unit with my Yamaha f150 to display fuel burn. I will be running mostly salt water but also the Tanana river and Kantishna. 90mi. One way so it's nice to be able to have real time fuel info. Back to radar. The arch is a great idea about how much power will a u nit like the Furuno or Garmin use? Trying to see if dual batteries is needed. Adding an ace pot puller and either an Espar or Planar heater.

Localak907,
    Would like to help you out with the Planar heater!
    Have them in stock and can install them for you if needed also.

As for radar, been happy with the hd Garmin set-up. However, its not used to navigate very often as we dont see much fog out in our travels.
    Im sure Big Jim or potbuilders Furono systems are better at the task of picking up logs or smaller objects on the water though than my Garmin.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast