Thread: Deer around Valdez without a boat?

Default Deer around Valdez without a boat?

Seems like all of the threads on deer are folks jumping onto boats and heading to the islands. Considering heading down to Valdez from Fairbanks for deer hunting and some ice climbing. Don't have access to a boat however, so I am wondering if there is an ok population of deer anywhere near Valdez that doesn't require a boat.

Not asking for a secret squirrel super spot, just if it is worth my time to into the woods, or should I just stick to the ice climbing this trip.

Thanks for the help.

Nope. None. Nada.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

The snow gets too deep near Valdez for deer to winter there. A few may wander close in the summer, But if they stick around, they won't survive. Out around Jack Bay you might find a few. The nearest huntable population I know of is on Bligh Island. But I think that all belongs to the Tatitlek Corp and you don't want to try hunting there unless you're the guest of a shareholder.

There are deer on the mainland, but they are scattered and don't get that far from the Sound proper.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

They have been seen but rarely. Had one in the back yard back in maybe 05-06. Saw some tracks once ptarmigan hunting ways from the house. But as twodux stated, snow gets too deep. That said, we have had two mild winters in a row and this year is light so far. I have seen more moose driving to Anchorage than in the past too. So will see what the winter brings. As for trying to hunt for them, Sasquatch might be easier.

Thanks for the reply. I am still new to hunting, so almost all (valid) information is good, even it is isn't what I want to hear.

Guess I will have to plan a trip out to Kodiak or something for deer.

Then again...there has been a picture posted up here in Fairbanks of a deer on Eileson, so maybe the warm weather will eventually lead to deer up "north" as well.

Thanks once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I have seen more moose driving to Anchorage than in the past too....
    Now that I would like to see! The bulls must have fantastic headroom in their vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Now that I would like to see! The bulls must have fantastic headroom in their vehicles.
    They were all spike forks.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Maybe they were all driving double decker busses (with the window and door open).

http://www.snopes.com/photos/acciden...mooseheads.jpg

I only got one pic of them on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlehendrick View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I am still new to hunting, so almost all (valid) information is good, even it is isn't what I want to hear.

Guess I will have to plan a trip out to Kodiak or something for deer.

Then again...there has been a picture posted up here in Fairbanks of a deer on Eileson, so maybe the warm weather will eventually lead to deer up "north" as well.

Thanks once again.
    You could always ferry to Cordova and hunt off the road system. The ski hill has a few animals and the mts back of Lake Eyak have a few and the Heney Range between the Eyak River and Orca Inlet definitely has a huntable population. I have personally never hunted the road system there as I have a boat and hunting is definitely better out on the islands, but I have friends who hunt there every year and I have seen some real nice bucks that they have taken. I have seen deer on the road system though. The last were 4 deer swimming next to the ferry dock as we pulled out on the ferry to head to Whittier a couple years ago. Not sure if they had swum over from Hawkins Is. or if they'd come off the ski hill and were swimming to Hawkins Is.

If you are planning a road system hunt on Kodiak, the only drawback is the road system there has a one deer limit whereas the Cordova road system, the limit is 5. Kodiak road system has way more deer though.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett