Thread: AVet reels for Kings

Default AVet reels for Kings

Does anyone use the smaller Avet reels for freshwater back trolling or bottom bouncing?

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    Does anyone use the smaller Avet reels for freshwater back trolling or bottom bouncing?
    More than enough reel for that application. No issues winching up 50 to 100 pound halibut in the saltwater using one or two speed Avet SX. Setting initial drag is critical for proper use. Only two issues for me.

1) Its not level wind but in freshwater applications you rarely have enough line out to make it matter even if a novice forgets to "level wind" manually. Fill it 3/4 full and it shouldn't be too much a problem.
    2) Irrelevant in freshwater but high maintenance in saltwater...like most reels. But they seize up faster than any reel I have owned if you "forget" to rinse them after use in the salt. Probably due to tighter tolerances in the components.

Can't say I have landed anything huge in freshwater but it has done the job when I have used it...more often in saltwater than fresh. Oh wait, I use braid exclusively but I have to think it holds enough mono if that is your preference.