Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unicorns

Default Unicorns

I am curious if the people in this forum have a list of rifles that they avidly search for. I have a small list of guns that I sure would like to find if I ever had the opportunity.

1) Fred Rungee's Pre-64 Model 70 Alaskan in 338 Win Mag. It is a beater and has tooth marks from one of his life vs. death battles with a grizzly. It also has a compass and lyman no. 48 peep sights. I would go deep for this one.
    2) Glen Gregory Springfield Sporters- Glen Gregory who ran a trading post in Tanana, Alaska converted Military 03 Springfields into wonderful rifles that were based on the G&H pattern. Most are 308 Norma mag and 300 Weatherby. I saw one in 06 and I sure would love to bump into one of these at a gunshow. They often have a moose antler foreend.
    3) Howard Johnson or Bill Fuller 450 Alaskan Model 71 conversion. This is something that I really would go nuts to get. They just have so much history.
    4) Bill Etchell's Muzzle loader- 50 Cal percussion. Bill was an interesting character who made some really good rifles. He died about 25 years ago and he never made many rifles but they are out there.

I think that this is it for right now. I am wondering if others have guns that they would like to find some day.

My Great Uncle Emil's pre 64 Model 70 in 270....

He killed a 68 inch moose with that rifle, along with many sheep...

Love to have one of Pinnell and Talifson's rifles.

Won a Glenn Gregory rifle in a 1917 in the Enfield in 25-06 caliber. One unicorn down. Bill Stoecker gun auction has some super steals in it.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    Won a Glenn Gregory rifle in a 1917 in the Enfield in 25-06 caliber. One unicorn down. Bill Stoecker gun auction has some super steals in it.
    Thomas, do you happen to have a link for this auction?

Joe Wants double or Hosea Sarbers 30-06. My grandpa's 94 in 32 win he bought in Valdez in 1904 and carried walking all the way back to Iron mountain Michigan in 1918
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The only guns that have any special meaning to me are the ones my dad passed down to me. One of those disappeared before he passed and I would really like that one but that's about it. It was a cheap sxs 410 with Continental stamped on the side. It had belonged to my uncle and dad got it from him to give to me when I was about 12. It wasn't worth much but I'd sure like to have it back. Who knows, it may be a real unicorn and not even exist anymore.

1) FN49 in 30-06. 2)MG42. 3) pre 2006 marlin stainless big loop guide gun. 4) the Enfield #1 I sold. 5) stg44
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Joe Wants double or Hosea Sarbers 30-06. My grandpa's 94 in 32 win he bought in Valdez in 1904 and carried walking all the way back to Iron mountain Michigan in 1918
    I would love to hear that whole story.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    It needs to be in a book for generations to come. They don't make them that salty anymore. I bet he was tough as nails!

Mine is probably the cheapest want of all. My pappy gave me a Remington 514 when I was 12. Since we lived in town and Grandpa Roy(the one that wanted to name me Elmer in honor of the drunk he went on with Elmer Keith) owned a farm with a big patch of woods right across the road from his house. My 514 Remington was on his gun rack the day I moved away. It was the only possession I had that didn't ride off into the sunset with me. I went back to see Grandpa a year later and my gun was gone. My uncle has it and won't come clean about it. My brother had one just like it and I have it now but it isn't the same. I killed 100 squirrels a year with that gun for 5 straight years. It needs to be mine again. I have a grandson that would cherish it and then pass it on. I think one of these days I will take a bottle of Jack Daniels and a wad of cash and go see that uncle. I don't drink but maybe after he has that bottle about half gone I'll dangle some cash in front of him. I hear tell that a whore once bought him a bottle of Jack and gave him a free one and he bought her a new car before he sobered up. Heck all I want is a 22 rifle that belongs to me!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have a grandson that would cherish it and then pass it on.
    That's powerful medicine. Make it two bottles of Jack, and bring along your grandson so your uncle can look him right in the eye.

I'll go with ya EKC if you need some "heavy lifting" when you meet your uncle...
    Man, 100 squirrels a year - you must be great bait!
    I can't say there are any guns that have me so knotted up inside I would walk through fire for - hopefully I am making memories with mine that my kids will feel a desire to hold on too?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I would like to find "BIG THUNDER" it is a .458 Winchester Magnum that I built long ago on a Model 70 action. It was/is the best one I built. It say's "BIG THUNDER" on the floorplate. It is one of a kind.

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    I would love to hear that whole story.
    +1 Meeee toooo (10 characters)

I would sure love to have my custom Roy Dunlap pre 64 Winchester 300 H&H back, it took a swim into the Behm canal about 30 years ago returning from a deer hunt.

I would love to have some of my uncle's guns (mom's brother).....he was like a dad to me and we spent many days afield when I was a boy, hunting, climbing, running whitewater, etc.......I always used his Ruger 77 .270 even though when I started toting it, it was a little too much for me. He also had a Remington 700 .30-'06 I can clearly remember him making a running head shot on a mule deer with at a bit less than 100 yards .....took the top of the buck's skull off, and the antlers and brains with it! Never found those horns....there was also a pump shotgun, cant remember make or bore, we'd take shooting for pheasant in the cornfields around his home after the harvest. Sadly, he took his life a few years ago....dont know what happened to the guns.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I would like to find my late uncle's Savage 99 .243 Win. I remember my dad shooting a skunk with it the one Christmas we spent in TN with them. My uncle's family in TN got the rifle and I never knew what happened to it. Also, my other late uncle in AR that died in 2004 right after we visited him, I would love to get his S&W 1500 .308 Win. That rifle accounted for more whitetails then I could dream of. I know where the rifle is, as his grandson got it (as he should), but if he ever wants to part with it, I want it.

I actually have my unicorn. It's a Savage 99 in .308 Win. It was my Great Uncles who I only knew as a young child before he passed away. I was too young to understand all the hunts he went on, but knew that was his rifle of choice. When he passed, he gave it to his BIL, my Grandfather.

My Grandfather hunted a bit, but never managed to kill a deer in 40 some odd years. The first year he had that Savage I was able to help him get his first and only deer.

When my Grandfather passed a few years ago, I mentioned this to my Grandmother and she gave it to me. I'll hold onto it dearly for the rest of my lifetime.

I'd also like to have back the 1940s-ish Winchester 1894 I sold to Cabela's for gas money the last time I drove the Alcan....got it when I was 12, my first centerfire rifle, and it was very cherry. Other than that, something really cool and turn- of-the- century-sportsmanish like a functioning Lee-Speed or Winchester 1895....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDeta...S.-M1917-25-06

It has a Timney Trigger and it has nicer wood in real life. Definitely has the earmarks of a glenn gregory rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast