Thread: F.N.G here

Default F.N.G here

I just set my first trap line this weekend, well it's more of a trap string. I only put out 4 to start with. I'm using Bridger #3 coils and mainly targeting coyotes. After setting them it snowed a bet. How often do you guys reset your traps after how much snowfall? Also how often do you resent attractants like urine, gland lure etc.? YouTube can only do so much for me. Any quick tips would go a long way. Thank you.

I don't reset the trap unless it has thawed and refroze. I assume that you put wax paper under and over the trap, then it won't freeze down and should fire. I just use a small wisk broom to sweep off the snow to a lower level on top of the trap, trying to just leave a tiny bit or none if it's already snowing good. If they have been set for a month or so, it's a good idea to lift them and reset them, new wax paper, etc. I re-scent call lures like for marten, wolverine, etc. every 2 weeks or 3 at the most. Urine post get's a small shot almost overtime I go to the set. Gland, about half that or every 2-3 weeks, a small bean size is plenty. Keep in mind we don't usually go to a set like yours, we let them "fish" so to speak, so the longer you can stay away, the better. Put a small stick in the chain, use binoculars and if the stick is missing, go find your coyote, if it's there, stay away, it is still "fishing" for you.
    For your traps and your target, about 1-2 inches of snow is okay, more than that and you won't get a good hold as far up the foot as you really want. Hope this helps and let us know how it goes, feel free to PM for anything.
    Gulo Gulo.

ASUS-DAG, You picked a great all around trap good for fox, coyote and lynx. Did you order them 4 coiled or are they the standard double coiled #3's? If they only have 2 coil springs then go to the trapping store behind Boondocks in ER and pick up springs. He sells them in a kit ( 1ea left and 1ea right spring) for something like $4.00. It will make your traps much faster in setting off and also allows them to bust up thru more snow. How much snow depends on what type of snow. If you have any warm spells, rain, wind drifts or more then 6" of new snow then you should reset them. As far as "juicing" up your sets, I re fresh both lynx cubbys and pee/gland sets every 3 weeks or so, again depending on weather condtions. Good luck!

Here is what could happen when you get lazy and don't re set....

Good info. Thanks. I did put wax paper on top, but not under. I'll do that on my next set. My traps are standard 2 coil. I didn't know you could add the other 2 coils. Awesome! I'll have to make a trip to ER. I also just joined the ATA. I'm looking forward to make it to one of the monthly meetings.